Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Safety Ads

Options
  • 28-04-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this would be better off in Motors but Ah seems like a good place to discuss it.

The latest ad is horrific, but if it stops people speeding and saves even just one life then its worth it.

Im interested to know peoples opinions on it. Can you imagine being a member of the emergency services and having to face those situations god knows how many times a year.... It has to affect you. Thank god i've never been involved in a crash touchwood.

EDIT: Link > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ8oCq8hXps

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you know what would stop people from speeding? horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mordeth wrote:
    you know what would stop people from speeding? horses.
    Unless the car was going really fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Back to the days of the guy out walking in front with the red flag, I say.

Unfortunately, the only thing that really gets most people to stop and think about how they and others behave on the road is the harshish way possible that it can hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Robots! We need robots!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the ads dont work, people always think it would never happen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Some valid suggestions there, some not so valid lads.....

Seriously though, can you imagine being a fireman getting called out to those types of crashes most weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Know what might help? If around the time when most road accidents happen (no idea when that'd be) they got various radio stations to play the full songs from the ads. Always creeps me out when I hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes. They do work. I have to admit that since I seen that ad, it has been playing on my mind, for some reason the image of the crushed guy spewing out of his mouth onto his girlfriend is really horrible.
    Not more than two hours ago, I was driving from Navan, but going a little bit below the speed limit, and well back from the two cars in front. On a bend, some dick had overtaken a line of traffic, and as the two cars in front went round the corner, the fecker was on the wrong side of the road. (not a boy racer either, twas a middle aged man in a large expensive saloon).

The two cars in front of me both went off the road to the left and ionto rough ground, and if they hadnt, it would have been a head on collision. Thank God they were paying attention. I had plenty of time to slow down as I was going a safe speed and distance, so managed to brake hard without losing control of the car. That ad actually is the reason I was going below the limit instead of getting ready to overtake the two slower cars in front at the next safe spot.

Its a morbid way to think, but it only takes two seconds for this to happen, and the sh*thead that causes it could be right round the very next bend. I think if that ad sticks in people's heads like it did mine, then yes, lives could actually be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

cson wrote:

Im Can you imagine being a member of the emergency services and having to face those situations god knows how many times a year.... It has to affect you.

EDIT: Link > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ8oCq8hXps

true, but i think this is particulary horiffic, id imagine the two girls up against the wall would have passed out aswell :)

Make the cars out of velcro, so that if they crash, they just stick together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Make people watch Hell's Highway on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Make the cars out of velcro, so that if they crash, they just stick together
    You'd know you were a bogman alright...

I'm a paramedic & get to witness carnage like this on a weekly basis. This is as real as it gets. The screaming in the video is what I hear on the side of the road when I'm trying to perform cpr on a dead 21 year old. If you have family and are under 27 then think long and hard before you act the jinnet in your car this weekend..... You have a good chance of having me perform lifesaving work on your mate !

Now thats what hits home, more than the ads. Everyone is used of the ads, it's comments like this that would make people slow down more than anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

nevf wrote:
    You'd know you were a bogman alright...

... nuts. How'd you guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fii-gii

I have been in a few accidents fortunately no one was hurt , one i was at fault the others i wasn't
    people have to make an effort to relax be hind the wheel, I never thought i was driving dangerously by going a little over the speed limit but if you are willing to go over it alittle on a normal day how much will you push it on a day that your late for some thing?
    when i recieved my second pair of points I decided to slow down but it was hard it took about 6 months to change my driving habits
    I think the adds work
    f

nevf wrote:
    Now thats what hits home, more than the ads. Everyone is used of the ads, it's comments like this that would make people slow down more than anything...

very true, it takes a long time for emergency services to build a "barrior" to this suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Know what might help? If around the time when most road accidents happen (no idea when that'd be) they got various radio stations to play the full songs from the ads. Always creeps me out when I hear them.

Actually, there is specific psychology to the music in these ads for this purpose. I think they work.
    In France they have a metal cut out of a human with a big red X to indicate to people that some one or some people have died on that spot and it really works. Maybe they should do this here as not all radio stations will play this music and they cant keep playing it.

I was having a bit of banter with a recovery truck driver when my cars gearbox decided to blow up.

Their company does accident recovery for the gaurds. I said to him he must have seen terrible smashes.

He said he was called to an accident where the driver was in the front seat but his head was under the seat.

He says you get used to seeing it every week.

The same goes for those adds I think the first few times they they shock you but you get desensitised to them.

timmywex wrote:
    very true, it takes a long time for emergency services to build a "barrior" to this suffering
    yah, I'm in the order of malta, I know the feelin exactly. Very disturbing and I dont even treat the casualties.
    ... nuts. How'd you guess?
    Oh, it was just a really wild guess ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Saw the ad for the first time this evening. Although it is shocking I don't see it slowing the majority down. Some load of nutcases out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Very true. Just going in to town today I could have been killed a few times. I reckon at least 3 of me 9 lives are gone at this stage. Some of the overtaking manouvres lads perform are fecking outrageous. Talk about being able to quantify risk/reward..... pick up 2 mins of time/spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair or die. Madness.

nevf wrote:
    yah, I'm in the order of malta, I know the feelin exactly. Very disturbing and I dont even treat the casualties.

QUOTE]

i know where you are coming from, was on scene of a pedestrian v car last year, witnesed it, was my neighbour who later died(didnt know her great,but father was in traffic corps), anyway, was first on scene and had to dleiver life saving care to another friend also knocked down, the image and sounds of the dead girls friends on the footpath screaming and telling me to do something stuck in my head for a while, but i had to prioritise who i could save(very hard decision)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

#Elites wrote:
    Does anyone know where i can find the old road adds? more specific, the one where the young boy is playing in the garden, and the car comes through the bushes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX_w23Iogt8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Love2love wrote:
    In France they have a metal cut out of a human with a big red X to indicate to people that some one or some people have died on that spot and it really works. Maybe they should do this here as not all radio stations will play this music and they cant keep playing it.
    On one of the streets I walk down on my way to college there's a tree with bouqets of flowers tied to it, and beside it a few scattered little pieces of shattered bumper. I don't drive, but it's an unsettling feeling to know someone (probably) died right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Sorry to say this but I feel that the general Irish public do not know how to drive. Undertaking and driving slow in the fast lane on the new motorways is rife and it really hacks me off as it is an accident waiting to happen. On some motorways there is no breakdown lane, that is a real danger.

The ads are mostly about country roads and pretty family gardens with shock factors of death of children and teenagers. The main accidents occur on roads that are fast roads motorways and so on. Not in built up areas with 30 mile an hour limits. I think these ads are combining high speed motorway deaths with urban family type bizarre deaths, much like a ridiculous teen movie shock death factor. Who makes this stuff anyway Robert Englund?

Tackle the real problem on the motorways which are new to many drivers show real stuff by interviewing the people who deal with the aftermath like firefighters and guards and victims of said crashes, not actors who have preset lines. The Australian producer type crashes that are being portrayed are just shock value and nothing more. Very tacky I am sorry to say.

I have watched these ads over time and am shocked by their impact but I think the impact is based more on the clever effects and emotional impact over the real problem which is strangely being totally missed.
    Get real Mr Gay Burn (who is keeping a low profile) and tackle the reality or resign and give the job over to someone who doesn't commision hollywood type showcase editors a chance to tackle the real problem.
    There that's my piece, I am a frustrated experienced driver. So that is my real view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sorry to say this but I feel that the general Irish public do not know how to drive. Undertaking and driving slow in the fast lane on the new motorways is rife and it really hacks me off as it is an accident waiting to happen. On some motorways there is no breakdown lane, that is a real danger.

The ads are mostly about country roads and pretty family gardens with shock factors of death of children and teenagers. The main accidents occur on roads that are fast roads motorways and so on. Not in built up areas with 30 mile an hour limits. I think these ads are combining high speed motorway deaths with urban family type bizarre deaths, much like a ridiculous teen movie shock death factor. Who makes this stuff anyway Robert Englund?

Tackle the real problem on the motorways which are new to many drivers show real stuff by interviewing the people who deal with the aftermath like firefighters and guards and victims of said crashes, not actors who have preset lines. The Australian producer type crashes that are being portrayed are just shock value and nothing more. Very tacky I am sorry to say.

I have watched these ads over time and am shocked by their impact but I think the impact is based more on the clever effects and emotional impact over the real problem which is strangely being totally missed.
    Get real Mr Gay Burn (who is keeping a low profile) and tackle the reality or resign and give the job over to someone who doesn't commision hollywood type showcase editors a chance to tackle the real problem.
    There that's my piece, I am a frustrated experienced driver. So that is my real view.

AFAIK motorways are the safest roads around

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Er... afaik there is no fast lane on Irish motorways, there is a driving lane and an overtaking lane. And a hard shoulder sometimes. I'm not a driver, I've just heard that tossed around as a fact when motorways are being discussed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

that girl got owned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Bull.

Our current government wants to look like they're doing something.

Right now there's people driving around on second provisionals who have never had to do a driving test to get on the road. Nothing but the theory test and the eye test has qualified them to be on our roads.

If they actually WANTED to tackle the problem they'd
    • Put a lot of resources into clearing the waiting list for the full driving list.
    • Partially subsidise driving lessons (which are very expensive in Ireland).
    • Abolish 2nd provisionals, nobody should be on the road unsupervised who hasn't done a test.
    • Enforce the law that 1st provisional drivers should be accompanied by drivers (I know first hand that it's overlooked).

As is stands they're all about making an impression, Gay Byrne fronting the Road Safety Authority, the ads on TV and putting guards out to tackle drink driving. The last two are useful but they're only being done because it visibly looks good for the government.

Abolishing second provisionals wouldn't sit well with the Auld Biddy Electorate who have been on them for a very long time, same with enforcing the 1st provosional law (which wouldn't sit well BECAUSE of the length of the driving test waiting list).

Try as I might I can't find a statistic that says what percentage of accidents are on first/second provisionals, I'm not even sure if it exists.

EDIT: They should make an ad about how long it takes to stop when you're speeding, everyone gets desensitised to those gruesome ads but you can't get desensitised to a fact, it just sticks in your head.

Advertisement