Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Safety Ads

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

DarkJager wrote:
    That advert is just ridiculous and is just too OTT to take seriously. The judge at the end totally camps it up and I'm sorry to say that I laughed all the way through that advert.

They are getting more depserate in their attempts to convey a message, but turning the ads in to something that wouldn't look out of place in a bad horror movie is not going to do it.
    That is true in a nutshell about the ads.
    I think a mass survey and research gathered from real drivers on everyday roads will reveal the flaws on Irish roads from real experience.
    Docu-dramas would be usefull as well, the resources are obviously there but the use of them are not, use these talented teams of editors and film makers to produce something real that folks wouldn't turn away from and actually relate to.

Combine Real driver experiences with statistics and actual accidents based on who and what is causing them based on intelligent research and that might have a better impact on a wider audience.

From my experience as a road user as a driver and a cyclist, I can say that older drivers, construction vans, and delivery vans have hacked me off the most.

I think Irish drivers don't have a built in protocol of driving and the new roads are still new to them, the increased volume of cars in a relitavely short time adds to this. A series of programs tackling these protocols and increased traffic might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

From the RSA
    NEW CROSS-BORDER ANTI-SPEEDING ROAD SAFETY CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED

“Speed is the biggest contributing factor to road deaths in Ireland .”

Excessive speed was a factor in almost 30% of road fatalities in the Republic of Ireland between 1996 and 2004 and a factor in 24% of road fatalities between 1996 and 2005 in Northern Ireland.

However, evidence shows that every time human error causes a road collision it is the speed of the vehicles which determines the outcome – whether someone lives or dies, or is maimed for life.

So while it is estimated that speed is directly killing an average of 141 people a year on this island. It could in fact be impacting on a total of over 500 road deaths a year on this island, making speed the biggest contributing factor to road deaths in Ireland.

This was the disturbing revelation made at the launch of “Mess” a new sixty seconds hard hitting anti-speeding TV advert from the Road Safety Authority, supported by Hibernian Insurance, and from the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, supported by Norwich Union.

The new advert graphically portrays how the selfish and shameful actions of a speeding driver, wrecks the lives of countless people in a split-second. The central message being – ‘The Faster the Speed, the Bigger the Mess’.

Launching the new campaign Mr. Martin Cullen T.D., Minister for Transport, said, We have all seen the carnage on our roads and in particular the number of young people who die because of excessive speeding - ruining lives, devastating families and communities. It is NOT acceptable behaviour. What is now required is a fundamental change in driver attitudes particularly amongst 17 to 25 year olds or many of them may not have a future - they will be dead as a result of a speed related collision.

DOE Permanent Secretary Stephen Peover, jointly launching the campaign, said: “Drivers give countless excuses for driving too fast but nothing can justify the consequences. What can justify the loss of 46 lives and 272 serious injuries on Northern Ireland’s roads last year as a result of excessive speed?

How many more times will we have to hear – ‘it was unexpected, there was nothing I could have done – it wasn’t my fault. The truth is that people choose to drive too fast. And the faster they drive, the more likely they are to be in a collision - and the more severe that collision is going to be.”

“Try telling a bereaved family that you were late for a meeting or you were enjoying the drive and thought you could handle the speed. Our message today is simple: combine speed with human error or the unexpected and the consequences will be tragic. We all make mistakes - when it’s your turn, what speed will you be doing?”

Assistant Commissioner Eddie Rock, An Garda Síochána said, “We cannot change our past, but we can change our attitudes. We have that choice and if we embrace it, we will save lives”.

Assistant Chief Constable Roy Toner said: “We are committed to making our roads safer. We are tackling the issue of speed through education and enforcement. In the first three years of the Safety Camera Scheme there has been a 41% reduction in the number of fatal or serious injury collisions on those roads that have mobile or fixed safety cameras.

We will continue to focus on excessive and inappropriate speed through robust enforcement. We must influence driver behaviour and encourage them to slow down. Research shows that a reduction in speed leads to a reduction in collisions. If drivers continue to ignore our advice, they must be prepared to face the reality of a £60 fine and three penalty points when we detect them speeding."

Speaking at the launch, Mr. Dick O’Driscoll, Managing Director of Hibernian said, “This campaign sees Hibernian join forces with its sister company in the Northern Irish market, Norwich Union. As Ireland and the UK’s largest insurers, Hibernian and Norwich Union believe that we have a leading role to play in promoting responsible behaviour and safer driving on our roads. Research has shown clearly that the risk of a collision occurring rises as the speed at which a driver travels rises. We also know that a reduction in the incidence of serious injury and death will only come about through changing driver behaviour. As a result the end goal of the new campaign is to change driver behaviour. Achieving this goal requires a combination of education, enforcement and engineering. We are happy to play our part through this sponsorship with the Road Safety Authority.”

Mr. Gay Byrne, Chairman, Road Safety Authority said “We have a blind spot when it comes to speeding in this country. We drive too fast. We just simply don’t get the fact that the faster you go the greater the impact. And the greater the chances of inflicting serious or fatal injury on ourselves or others. This new ad is trying to correct a national misunderstanding. Trying to deliver a strong dose of reality. It puts the laws of physics into plain English. The faster the speed the bigger the MESS.”

Further information on speeding can be obtained from the Road Safety Authority by phoning locall 1890 50 60 80 or visiting www.rsa.ie; from the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland by visiting www.doeni.gov.uk/roadsafety or phoning 028 9054 0540.

Cullen launches new North-South anti-speeding advertisement campaign

Speech by the Minister for Transport, Mr Martin Cullen TD at the launch of the All-Ireland Road Safety Campaign, Savoy Cinema, O'Connell Street, Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I thought at first that the ad was a parody - it's so Shaun of the Dead.

Ask any behaviouralist; if you want to change a behaviour, you have to target it *at the point when it's happening*.

Motorcycle cops that would pull speeders over and talk to them about their speed, and ticket them, would be far more effective than TV ads, and would catch other crimes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they have to do this:
    grasshopa wrote:
    • Put a lot of resources into clearing the waiting list for the full driving list.
    • Partially subsidise driving lessons (which are very expensive in Ireland).
    before they do this:
    grasshopa wrote:
    • Abolish 2nd provisionals, nobody should be on the road unsupervised who hasn't done a test.
    • Enforce the law that 1st provisional drivers should be accompanied by drivers (I know first hand that it's overlooked).

otherwise they'd be taking thousands of people with about two years driving experience off the road for no reason other than they're too incompotent to get the waiting list under a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Another problem is blaming everything on younger drivers. I was watching the news a couple of months back and they had a segment where they scrolled all the names of people who had been killed on the roads in the las t couple of months. The VAST majority of them were middle aged and older and a number of children who obviously werent doing the driving.

The majority of younger drivers do not drink and drive. That is the older generations problem which never seems to get recognised in the media either.

Im not saying that younger drivers are perfect (far from it) but putting so much of the blame on them distorts the issue and does not help solve it.

P.S.
    If you want an ad that works you just show the powerpoint presentation I got sent at work today in an email. Im not too sure I even want to look at it again. It shows a golf crashed into a bus. It is totaled. And then it shows a few pics of the victim. It is gruesome and I will certainly be thinking about it when im driving home today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Middle aged men in high powered saloons playing Mickey Schumacher on twisty roads. I'd suggest fines based on income like luxembourg (Think some exec got fined €40,000 there) but then what could ya fine the scobies? Their Nike Airs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Their weekly dole and their council funded rat nests.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cooperguy wrote:
    Another problem is blaming everything on younger drivers. .... Im not saying that younger drivers are perfect (far from it) but putting so much of the blame on them distorts the issue and does not help solve it.
    Young drivers, especially males ones, cause a disproportionate amount of accidents and are also a disproportionate amount of the victims.

If you graph the number of male casualties for a given group against the make-up of the whole population, you get a graph like this. The female graph isn't anywhere near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Archeron wrote:
    Yes. They do work. I have to admit that since I seen that ad, it has been playing on my mind, for some reason the image of the crushed guy spewing out of his mouth onto his girlfriend is really horrible.

Has really had an impact on myself too.. They normally don't but this one has struck a nerve for some reason.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dame wrote:
    Don't you know about the 10% rule??? You can go 55KM in a 50KM limit and that's absolutely fine........everyone knows that! :rolleyes:
    Im tired of the mantra from some about speedos being out by 10% and the gardai not doing people for doing up to 10% over the speed limit?
    Speedos can be out by up to 10% but that does not mean that all are out by this figure. This was discussed here recently and some found that their speedos were bang on when compared to GPS.
    As for the gardai - this is at their own discretion but I have heard many tales of people being done for being barely over the speed limit.
    I tend to speed where I feel that i and the car can do it relatively safely. But I don't fool myself into thinking that I have this cushion of protection due to this or that. I know that if Im caught, Im caught!
    cooperguy wrote:
    Another problem is blaming everything on younger drivers. I was watching the news a couple of months back and they had a segment where they scrolled all the names of people who had been killed on the roads in the las t couple of months. The VAST majority of them were middle aged and older and a number of children who obviously werent doing the driving.
    Did it give a breakdown as to the age of the person at fault? How many of these were pedestrians, passengers, etc.?
    cooperguy wrote:
    The majority of younger drivers do not drink and drive. That is the older generations problem which never seems to get recognised in the media either.
    Where is your source on this?
    cooperguy wrote:
    If you want an ad that works you just show the powerpoint presentation I got sent at work today in an email. Im not too sure I even want to look at it again. It shows a golf crashed into a bus. It is totaled. And then it shows a few pics of the victim. It is gruesome and I will certainly be thinking about it when im driving home today.
    Put it online for others?

• Advertisement
Advertisement