Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 28-04-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise on 3's mobile broadband? I can't get DSL or wireless (not in line of sight) so this looks the only option in North Sligo.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Essexboy wrote:
    Can anyone advise on 3's mobile broadband? I can't get DSL or wireless (not in line of sight) so this looks the only option in North Sligo.
    Thanks.

There are a couple of threads on this on the Mobile forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

O2 and Vodaphone have near identical 3G/HSDPA offereings to "3".

Variations in cap, initial cost of card etc.

Speeds vary from 20k to 3Mbps. You only get the high speed near mast when you are the only person in cell (including voice calls).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I have a 3 datacard and HSDPA phone, always get HSDPA speeds, you can get these speeds whenever you are in 3's 3g coverage no matter how many are in the cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Walkman wrote:
    I have a 3 datacard and HSDPA phone, always get HSDPA speeds, you can get these speeds whenever you are in 3's 3g coverage no matter how many are in the cell.
    You will only get the full speeds in optimal conditions and an empty cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Walkman wrote:
    Wireless Contention can't break the laws of physics.

Since the Multiple Access Protocol is sub optimal, you don't even get 1/10th of 3Mbps (300kbps), but much less when ten people are in the cell. Additionally speeds drop at the edge of a cell. The cell size shrinks leaving you with no signal if you are near the edge and enough people are closer in.

Wait and see what speed there are next year when 3, O2 and Vodaphone have an economic number of users.

Actually it's possible that if 25 other people are online you won't get connected at all.

Google 3G "users per cell"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Walkman wrote:
    you can get these speeds whenever you are in 3's 3g coverage no matter how many are in the cell.

Sounds like the type of statement that would be made by Three's staff in their canteen. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Ha Ha not staff just a customer but I don't notice any change in speed, hmmm obviously not many with datacards where I live

Advertisement