Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free time(College)

Options
  • 28-04-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Hey, well yeah, I was doing some study on geography and I couldnt get my head around the questions, so I decided to post this.

I have the idealistic view that once I get into college I will be able to persue everything ive ever wanted to do because there will be so much free time, but will this be the case or will I notice college takes more out of you than expected.
    By the way who is working while their in college? I got a job in HMV starting on the 21st june

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I have the idealistic view that once I get into college I will be able to persue everything ive ever wanted to do because there will be so much free time,

Yeah, thats the dream for most of us. With only 11 hours of lectures a week I'll have ample time to buy people birthday presents, develop all interests I've been contemplating for the past few years, make a film, write a novel etc. Of course its never gonna happen :rolleyes:

It depends on what you're doing. Law, for example, you have a relatively low amount of time in lectures but are expected to have a large amount of time in the library. Engineering/Medicine/Nursing/Science you have a high amount of time in lectures/labs/tutorials etc.

Plus don't think you won't have assignments/essays/that whole lark! You could find that you'll be kept quite busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Well I am doing a course in what I am interested in (I think.. eek!) so course work and free time would be used the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Myth wrote:
    It depends on what you're doing. Law, for example, you have a relatively low amount of time in lectures but are expected to have a large amount of time in the library.

Ah shít. So much for writing that novel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Myth wrote:
    It depends on what you're doing. Law, for example, you have a relatively low amount of time in lectures
    I like it :D least now I won't have to feel bad about missing my lectures (which is obviously gonna happen)

• Advertisement

md99 wrote:
    I like it :D least now I won't have to feel bad about missing my lectures (which is obviously gonna happen)

You won't immediately, but nearer exam time you might :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

It's reccommended to spend at least 2 hours a day in the library really. I hope I'll be working during college.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Rozabeez wrote:
    It's reccommended to spend at least 2 hours a day in the library really. I hope I'll be working during college.
    wha......

Sorry, I answered his second question about having a job during college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The amount of computer gaming I'll be doing in college is going to be insane. Still I can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    The amount of computer gaming I'll be doing in college is going to be insane. Still I can't wait!
    What he said!!Anyways thinks my course is only bout 20 hours of lecture a week, so I should have plenty of time (of course it also requires me to spend bout 8 hours on a bus each week, which sucks).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

You kids... (I mean except the arts students) are gonna be in for such a shock if you want any kind of half decent degree.

Doing science at least, second year required about the same amount of work as leaving cert. It just gets exponentially harder/more time consuming after that.

Edit: I'm actually going off to study now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I Believe College will be good....but its not some major 4 year party as some people think.
    Besides you are there for a reason and while it will be better than the LC...dont believe its an excuse to get pissed everynight.

I know a mate who knows someone who got well over 500 points in the LC and is repeating his college exams for epic slacking off whereas my mate is ready to be handed a 1.1 in his degree with little more than 300 LC points considering he could probably never attain 500+ but works Hard.
    Moral of the story, dont turn into a lazy bastard after the LC:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

if i get arts im going to one roma game a month, I dont drink so thats where my money will go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

if i get arts im going to one roma game a month, I dont drink so thats where my money will go
    Roma scum :D

Looks like I'm doing arts in Maynooth, free time will hopefully be spent in: The library, the gym, the pub and whatever part time job I come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

It depends on what course you are doing, but don't expect to be swimming in free time, especially not in a science based course and especially not after Christmas. The Leaving Cert is a preparation for college, and when you get there, you are expected to do the study yourself.

Naikon wrote:
    Moral of the story, dont turn into a lazy bastard after the LC:)

Better moral is that points don't mean a thing once you get into college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Myth wrote:
    Better moral is that points don't mean a thing once you get into college.

Yes I am delighted to hear that!lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeah after about a week of college points matter not. :P

free time though, that's something that's sparse in my course certainly in second year anyways. (comp. science in DIT.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement