Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a VPN

Options
  • 28-04-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

I have to setup a VPN next wk, I know the principles behind it but I was just lookin for a few tips off anyone who has a bit of experience with it. I'l be using the ZyXel Prestige 334 router which to be honest I've never seen before but all the small routers are pretty similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

What type? IPSEC? It's a lot to cover in a post, best do a google for some quick guides or get a decent book that covers the type of VPN/Vendor and then ask specifics questions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Its just a simple vpn between two sites for a voice link, i'll have a look and see what I can find. Cheers anyway tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Still a good idea to know which protocol/standard you'll be using. Essentially you'll want to match authentication/encryption and hashing functions on both sides of the tunnel. Shared keys are the easiest form of authentication for small deployments, just make it a very strong key and do not send it by email/messenger to the other end. For IPSEC there are 2 phases and both must match for a tunnel to form. Then there will be some kind of rule to decide which traffic gets encrypted, on Cisco boxes you do this with access lists, likely with the Zyxel you'll simply specify a target public IP and the target subnets to encrypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Is the Zyxel itself acting as the local endpoint, or are you creating a VPN between e.g. ISA servers? Do you know what device or application the remote endpoint will be?

Every manufacturer seems to have their own ideas about IKE and IPSec, so it can be a pain in the hole trying to get two different devices talking to each other and get a stable tunnel running. As Creed mentions above, try to learn as much as you can about both endpoint devices, particularly the debugging features!

Advertisement