Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Lasting Silt/sediment in mains water problem

Options
  • 28-04-2007 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I have started a couple of threads in the past on this topic. I've a bit more knowledge now... this week I had the local council in Dun Laoghaire/Stillorgan flush out the mains. I was happily surprised when I saw how crystal clear our water was, and how much better it was overall, really amazing difference. I had a feeling the problem of silt particles and other tiny accumulated debris would return, but not for a while at least. Also had our house supply line tested for leaks, none found.

Only a few days on now, and the problem is back. It has to be a very localised problem, quite possibly affecting only one or two houses at the end of our road. I've sought advice from many people on this, and I've had a wide range of theories, many to do with problems on the outside water mains (either we're at the dead end of one, or at a 'balance point' between two different directional flows). The water cannot be used for drinking as of today, is almost painful to shower in, and gets worse by the day in discolouration. In short, a nightmare to have to live with day in, day out. Almost everyone in the family suffers eye reactions even just after washing their face..

I really think I'm gonna just have to sell the house at this point. We've built a lovely extension a year ago, and it annoys me that the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council always harp on about upgrading the water mains in the county, but leave us out in the cold. I've been on to them intermittently for a few years, but they only offer a quick flush of the mains, or taking of a water sample... and even if that comes up foul, they'll tell us to boil the water for the rest of our lives. Beautiful. Our neighbours haven't reported any problems, but are old, and I suspect don't want to deal with the county council. Up the road (only metres) I know there are no such problems, my friends there say its lovely and clear, and having seen it, can't disagree.

I know I can't get the corpo to examine the water main infrastructure on the road as it'll be a cold day in hell before something that dramatic will be undertaken. At my wits end here, would like helpful feedback. Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If your in a position where you are thinking of moving ,why not get some sort of filtering system installed ??

Get the water filtered coming in ,if you have bad mains pressure in the house then you can install a second domestic water tank. This would allow for adequate supply to the house ,after the slow process of filtering.

I wouldn't move house over an issue of house supply to be honest ,don't worry about it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I wonder would having a chat with a local politician help? Tis the time of year for it. Sounds like an awful problem... driving you to move out, it's pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrinkDink

I wonder would having a chat with a local politician help? Tis the time of year for it. Sounds like an awful problem... driving you to move out, it's pretty bad.

Yep, its that bad unfortunately. Maybe I could try getting in touch with someone as you say, but I feel at this point I've tried talking to so many people and we still have the worst water supply in Dublin. I'll also try one more time to talk to the Water supply sector of the local council. They even have the nerve to reduce the water pressure drastically at night which is probably the main reason so much gunge gets into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I think what Brian says is correct. You need to bypass the direct mains by putting in a filter and feeding a large second tank in the attic. Site the outlet pipe 6-9" above the bottom if you're still worried about any remaining sediment.

It's hardly a reason to move house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Hope you've been keeping note of times/dates you've contacted the council and the people you've talked to. If you haven't, then start keeping a log now. These people are far too happy to pass you from Billy to Jack. They need to know you'll be in a position to kick up a major fuss, politely of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrinkDink

Reyman wrote:
    I think what Brian says is correct. You need to bypass the direct mains by putting in a filter and feeding a large second tank in the attic. Site the outlet pipe 6-9" above the bottom if you're still worried about any remaining sediment.

It's hardly a reason to move house

No way am I going that route, I've spent enough on the house already in the past couple of years, and having in the past had filtration equipment under the sink, it proved a disaster and waste of money, the water got even worse. Having a second attic tank installed wouldn't work, as there is too much fine sediment to be effective, and to spend 400 Euro on it would be too much of a risk.

@patrickolee: Yes, I've certainly found out that its easy for them to pass you along with anonymity on their part. All I want is the council to do something to keep such amounts of sediment out of the water, they even said themselves to me that sediment should be a rare occurance, not an everyday one. I'll keep your advice in mind.

Advertisement