Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something that is *really* starting to annoy me...

• 28-04-2007 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

What is going on with team kits? There are some wierd combinations being used...

E.g. - Portsmouth at home - blue shirts, white shorts, red socks - normal home kit, no problems with that. But Liverpool wore red shirts, red socks and white socks :eek: What's that all about? Liverpool NEVER wear white socks with their red kit.

Manchester City at home - all sky blue. Now someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that City traditionally wore white shorts at home. And Aston Villa wore all claret. Villa tradition is white shorts with claret shirts.

Manchester United - black shorts *and* socks - wrong, just wrong!
    Bolton - White shirts, fine..but white shorts and blue socks? NO!

Now, there can't be that many people still with black-and-white TVs to make it a problem, so it must be for ease of identification for officials. It's only been in the last few seasons that this has been happening and it just looks wrong! :mad:

If there's a clash just use the away kit!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What is going on with team kits? There are some wierd combinations being used...

E.g. - Portsmouth at home - blue shirts, white shorts, red socks - normal home kit, no problems with that. But Liverpool wore red shirts, red socks and white socks :eek: What's that all about? Liverpool NEVER wear white socks with their red kit.

Manchester City at home - all sky blue. Now someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that City traditionally wore white shorts at home. And Aston Villa wore all claret. Villa tradition is white shorts with claret shirts.

Manchester United - black shorts *and* socks - wrong, just wrong!
    Bolton - White shirts, fine..but white shorts and blue socks? NO!

Now, there can't be that many people still with black-and-white TVs to make it a problem, so it must be for ease of identification for officials. It's only been in the last few seasons that this has been happening and it just looks wrong! :mad:

If there's a clash just use the away kit!
    Liverpool wore white socks because Pompey were wearing red ones and United wore black shorts because everton wore white ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Tauren wrote:
    Liverpool wore white socks because Pompey were wearing red ones and United wore black shorts because everton wore white ones

Yes I know...but it wasn't necessary five years ago, so why is it necessary now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

so utd cant use the "we couldnt see each other" excuse again if they ever get battOred by southamton again :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

el rabitos wrote:
    so utd cant use the "we couldnt see each other" excuse again if they ever get battOred by southamton again :P

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes I know...but it wasn't necessary five years ago, so why is it necessary now?

It was. Rule has been around in England for years.

Arsenal have always had a rule in place to wear a change kit instead of altering bits of their home kit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This is bollix.

All teams need to change a part of their kit if the home team are wearing something that clashes. Teams were doing it five years ago. And more. Show me otherwise. In fact, I'm sure there has been discussion here before about it.

I actually think the Red/Black/Black United wear looks great.

Not as good the Red/White/Black.

What people don't realise is that when professional teams are playing the socks and shorts matter as much as the jersies when players are looking for the pass. Glance up, see a pair of white socks, that's my player...or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I could be wrong here but I seem to remember reading somewhere that socks have to be different colours with each team so that it's easier for a linesman/ref to see who had the last touch for a throw or corner etc. Don't know about shorts but it could be a similar reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Manchester Utd used to wear red socks in the days of George Best if I'm not mistaken. And Ruud Gullit had the Newcastle team wearing white socks because his previous teams - Chelsea, Sampdoria and Milan - wore white socks and he believed white was "lucky".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Seansouth is correct. Shirts and socks must be different. Not sure about the shorts as Im watching celtic and hearts at the moment and they are both wearing white shorts. Just flicked over to ss1 and they are showing clips of fulhams season...few games where they had similar shorts but always different socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

I can see the reason for it but instead of mucking about with Liverpool's tradition, why can they not just wear their yellow change kit? It's not difficult!
    With most teams having three kits now, surely it's not difficult to arrange.

And maybe I was wrong with saying five years. But certainly it's only been since the late '90s...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jesus Revelation Joe, if that makes you *really* angry you'd better go to anger management classes buddy.

Fancy a teams football kit making you so angry. Pighead shudders to think what sort of reaction he'd get if he kicked you really really hard in the testicles. You'd probably explode.

On topic, football kits are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City have always been white shorts but this year we decided to change and make blue the home colour for shorts. It was nothing to do with playing Villa, it's been fro every game, despite how much it makes us look like Coventry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Zebra3 wrote:
    It was. Rule has been around in England for years.
    I have never seen Liverpool wear white socks with their home gear before.
    And I never want to see it again.

Could it have been an oversight on behalf of the kitman, who simply forgot Pompey have red socks, and thus he didnt bring the yellow kit?

I always thought the mancs gear looks better when they wear black shorts.

Advertisement