Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about music in arts

Options
  • 28-04-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

I was reading the perspective just there, and it says that you dont need any past expierence in italian, so is that the same with music or would you have had to do it from the leaving. and how many subjects do you pick in the first year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

There should be details about that in the prospectus too. Unless things have changed, there's an entrance exam for Music. I don't know the full story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Almost 4 years ago when I started doing music there was no horizons/modules etc. so I can't tell you anything about that.

The 1st year course when I took it was divided up into harmony (composition), history, Irish music, and maybe something else I can't remember. For harmony they will make you take a test which was not deemed an entrance exam, but an assessment test. There's an entrance exam for pure music, but not if you want to do it through Arts. They specifically said that anybody who wanted to do music would be allowed. I'm assuming if you did abysmally on the assessment test they'd talk to you about the course and decide if it's for you or not. I thought I did pretty badly because some of the stuff on the assessment test is well past leaving cert stuff, but I guess I passed it in the end.

So what they did was divide the harmony class into two based on the assessment test, the lower tier had twice the amount of classes the upper tier did to. I don't know where they started from in the lower tier, but the upper tier stuff is well past leaving cert standard from the off.

If you play an orchestral instrument or piano, and can read music confidently enough then you shouldn't have a problem picking the subject up without having sat the leaving cert course. The leaving cert course is a bit of a joke to be honest with you.

If you just play guitar/bass or some other non orchestral music and struggle with being able to read music then you'll have problems. You'll have to do a performance at the end of the year as your practical exam and they don't except non orchestral instruments.

Just to say I'm doing music finals now. I hate the subject so much and am just aiming for a bare pass. The course changes completely in final year and it's all based purely on analysis. There is no composition or performance (unless you're extremely good + classically trained) at all. It's pure bull**** really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

well then i guess on i can arrevedenc to music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

I should point out, however, that literacy is a requirement for any course in Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

You'll have to do a performance at the end of the year as your practical exam and they don't except non orchestral instruments.

Just to say I'm doing music finals now. I hate the subject so much and am just aiming for a bare pass. The course changes completely in final year and it's all based purely on analysis. There is no composition or performance (unless you're extremely good + classically trained) at all. It's pure bull**** really.

I played guitar for my 1st year practical, but as far as I remember I had to do classical stuff. Actually I think I did Moonlight Sonata and a Zeppelin version of a traditional song:p . Yeah, you had to do classical or traditional.

Yeah, it really is a musicology degree, for someone entering now I think some of your 2nd year marks count in your degree, but for anyone in 3rd/4th year now, the whole degree is based on history/analysis, as Royale said.

You could try Trinity, I think you can only do it if you pass the entrance exam, but a friend of mine tells me it's mostly composition based.
    There are also performance degrees out there, such as the BA in Jazz Performance in Newpark, which by any account I've heard, is really good, and mostly practical based, although it is expensive, somewhere around €4000 I think. Actually here's the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I was reading the perspective just there, and it says that you dont need any past expierence in italian, so is that the same with music or would you have had to do it from the leaving. and how many subjects do you pick in the first year

I don't know about pre-requisities to be allowed to do the course, but unless you've a strong background in theory you will flunk out of the course within the first two lectures. It is pretty hardcore, even as an elective, in terms of the standard demanded by Wolfgang and the tutors.

I should point out, however, that literacy is a requirement for any course in Arts.

That's uncalled for. Take a look at a number of the posters here. Some of them appear borderline illiterate yet obviously aren't as they're in very taxing fields of study which required the ability to regurgitate very well for their Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

dats a fare piont blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Blush_01 wrote:
    That's uncalled for. Take a look at a number of the posters here. Some of them appear borderline illiterate yet obviously aren't as they're in very taxing fields of study which required the ability to regurgitate very well for their Leaving Cert.
    It was a joke about the word arrevedenc

It wasn't particularly funny. This isn't Spell Czechs. Not one of us has immaculate spelling and grammar all of the time (least of all myself), the guy asked a question and presumably did so for a purpose other than to get abused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

i've read it five times now, and i still dont know what was said

Funny, I would have thought it meant arrivederci, since he expressed an interest in beginners Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

oh

*whoosh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Oh yeah sorry I meant
    I guess i can say arrevedenchi to music in ucd, thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

It's a load of balls anyway. Nice folks but a crap subject.. still, Wolfgang is a king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 darth insidiari

well then i guess on i can arrevedenc to music

This is not a typo; the entire sentence doesn't make sense. I'm not bothered about typos or the odd spelling mistake. I'm not the best myself, which is why I tend to re-read my posts and edit accordingly.

If estebancambias doesn't believe that making sense (in the most literal and basic way) is a requisite of communication then I can't imagine he/she would do well in Arts, considering that communication through the written and spoken word is a major part of study.

Blush - I can understand why you might think my comment was "uncalled for" but I'm not sure that sticking up for people who don't think it's worth their time or effort to be understood (while asking for help, I might add) is worth your time or effort.

It wasn't meant in a mean way. I'm just appalled by that sentence. Boy, it doesn't make any kind of sense. And I did consider that he/she meant "arrivederci" but the rest of the sentence didn't clarify matters.

Apologies for the lateness of my reply.

Advertisement