Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Challenge Detailed Map wanted

Options
  • 28-04-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I never cycled more than 20km at once but am really looking forward to doing the Wicklow Challenge (100) this year. I'd like to explore the route in detail (bit by bit) in the remaining weeks left but the map on the official web site is just laughable.

Does anyone have a detailed map or itinerary of the route as I'm not too sure which roads are included? A saved GoogleEarth kmz path would be ideal but anything more detailed than what's on the wicklow200.ie will be grately appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

ek6dali wrote:
    I never cycled more than 20km at once but am really looking forward to doing the Wicklow Challenge (100) this year. I'd like to explore the route in detail (bit by bit) in the remaining weeks left but the map on the official web site is just laughable.

Does anyone have a detailed map or itinerary of the route as I'm not too sure which roads are included? A saved GoogleEarth kmz path would be ideal but anything more detailed than what's on the wicklow200.ie will be grately appreciated.

The map shown is accurate, but a bit short on reference points. If you use it in conjunction with a Ordnance Survey map with the verbal description of the route it should be easy to figure out.

Basically you take the road to Enniskerry, straight through at the first crossing in Enniskerry, turn right at the next t-junction, past Powerscourt, over the narrow bridge, then follow the main road (which makes a right turn), at the next t-junction again follow the main road (which makes a left turn), straight ahead until you hit a t-junction, take a sharp right there, climb up Sugar Loaf, straight ahead all the way to Roundwood, follow the main road to Annamoe, from there again follow the main road to Laragh, in Laragh turn left at the junction towards Rathdrum, in Rathdrum turn left at the first crossing, then take the first road left, take the left at the y-junction, next are the Corryduff Cross Roads which is a bit confusing, basically you take the 2nd road left, continue following the main road, straight ahead at Tomriland's Cross Roads, continue straight ahead until you reach Roundwood again, turn right, after Roundwood take the left at the y-junction, continue straight ahead until you arrive at another y-junction that feeds you back onto the road to/from Enniskerry that you took on your way out, from there just follow the same route back to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ek6dali

Thanks!

I have now compiled a GoogleEarth kmz tour (see attached). I am quite sure I got a few points wrong Specially:

Getting from Enniskerry to Sugar loaf and on the way back from Rathdrum I pretty much improvised.

It's a fairly spread out route and god there are a lot of roads out there!!! So I can see how providing a detailed map could have been a challenge.

If you have any corrections to my route posted please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

ek6dali wrote:
    If you have any corrections to my route posted please let me know.

Don't have GoogleEarth myself, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get maps 50 (Dublin) and 56 (Wicklow) from the Discovery series from the OS. I think there is a waterproof version of the Wicklow one.

http://www.osi.ie/mapping/maps/discovery.asp

Someone had a link to an internet version of the wicklow one with some information removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Couple of edits on the route around Enniskerry.

1. On the way out, you have the two routes (out and back) diverging too soon. The route out should come over the little bridge and then turn right, not left. It then continues along that road and links up with the route you have plotted at the zig-zag section at the base of the Sugar Loaf.

2. On the way back in Roundwood. the road drops down from the east into the village and then it should turn right, back onto the main Dublin road and the same way the route came on the outward spin. It goes north out of the village and then goes left at the fork in the road. This road brings you straight up to meet with the route you have plotted at a crossroads. Your route comes from the west and turns left, but it should come from the south and go straight through.

3. the route goes out the other side of UCD and up through Dundrum rather than out the Stillorgan road.

I have no idea about the roads between Rathdrum and Roundwood on the way back, but what you have looks about right. It's a good job - handy to have it mapped out like that.

*edit* I sketched the 3 sections out in Google Earth but can't seem to get them small enough to upload :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

edits zipped and ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote:
    Someone had a link to an internet version of the wicklow one with some information removed.

http://www.visitwicklow.ie/images/WalkingPDFs/Wicklow_Tourism_05.jpg

Thanks a mil mcgratheoin! This is mighty handy as I was planning to take the Dublin-Enniskerry round trip this weekend and Enniskerry-Rathdrum the week after. I'll be amending the kmz file with your additions and posting repost it here in case someone else is interested.

P.S. Got the problem with unzipped kmz too! 46kb limit! I wonder why? :confused:

Thanks for your effort again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can get just about any of the Discovery series in waterproof versions - they are laminated by third parties, not the OSI itself. Expensive though at €20 although it will last a lot longer. Available at most camping shops I would think, got mine (LAM-Fold laminated by Outstanding UK Ltd) at the one on Abbey St.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just looking at the Discovery Series 56 now. I think the route is pretty easy to figure out on that map from the website directions, Rathdrum is just 2km off the bottom which shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Might give it a go this weekend. It is a great pity that Google don't have good map coverage outside Dublin. I don't know why the organisers had to make the route so damn hilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Google have now updated their maps , all major roads are now on them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.wicklow200.ie/2007/route2007.shtml

Here's the web site map again - anyone know if they still paint arrows on the roads
    route2007.jpgroute2007short.jpg

profile http://www.wicklow200.ie/2007/profiles.shtml

Gentlemen,

I was never worried of getting lost on the day as I'm sure I'll be able to follow someone or am capable of following the arrows at least.

I was only disappointed about the lack of the detailed route map as I wanted to try a few sections of it before the 10th.

Having a detailed map of Wicklow is handy but doesn't really tell you were to go hence my interest in a decent ROUTE map, not a Wicklow map.

In either case thanks to everyone who contributed. I'll be getting maps 50 and 56 anyway as the cycling doesn't end with Wicklow200 and living near Loughlinstown allows me to cycle in the garden of Ireland quite easily.

Please find the corrected kml file attached if you have GoogleEarth installed.

Alternatively the map is available at:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=105539355391442937153.0000011255ca911cf55d0&ll=53.309993,-6.237552&spn=0.009257,0.027895&t=k&z=16&om=1

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

I've come across this on the www.motionbased.com website.

Someone completed last years Wicklow 200 with a GPS enabled Garmin

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/911372

Attached is the Google Eawrth path for the 200.

These garmins are really great. I got one about 6 weeks ago and have been able to downlod the course to the device from Motion Based and although unfamiliar with the wicklow area have been able to get out there and complete most of the climbs on the route.

Maybe a bit pricey at about 300 but if you can persuade someone that they'd make a perfect gift you might be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got the garmin forerunner 305. It's a class piece of kit and well worth it.
    I use it with the SportTracks software. At the moment I'm using it as a glorified log, but I do plan to use it for a proper training regime soon enough (make use of the programmable workouts etc).

Advertisement