Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Docklands development

Options
  • 28-04-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

http://www.howardpropertyplc.com/hh/pdf/southdocklands.pdf

Is this real? Do Howard Holdings propose to move Pairc ui Caoimh, and everything else in their proposed South Docklands project north of the river, almost to Montonottee?

What next? Howard & Co move the Antartic to the Artic?

Smells of pre-election half baked vapourware, fabricated offshore - and nobody has bothered to review it.

.probe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, it's better than suburban sprawl throughout the county, no?

simu wrote:
    Well, it's better than suburban sprawl throughout the county, no?
    Give me High Rise over sprawl any day.

Up and atom, as they say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

MLM wrote:
    Give me High Rise over sprawl any day.
    2/3 of our city councillors are absolutely against any-rise development. One loon, wants a complete moratorium on anuy further development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is staying exactly where it is.
    This image shows the proposed two new bridges in the area. The first (right hand side of the image) shows the Water Street bridge. The seconce (near An Pairc) is a new proposal which going to be included in the new development plan for the area due out next month. It is a bridge connecting near the Skew bridge on the northside of the river, to around about Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
    Both bridges will open to allow ships to access the inner harbour.

Probe, I think the image may have confused you a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

High rise is the way to go. From Cork, living in Dublin right now and if Cork goes the way of the mess up here, it'll be a sad sad day.

2/3 of our city councillors are absolutely against any-rise development. One loon, wants a complete moratorium on anuy further development.

Jeebus! That's idiotic beyond words!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

One of the better develoments for Cork in a while. Hopefully now developments like this will lead to less sprawl and an increase in the City Council population. Gets tiring reading about how supposedly the pop of the city is declining when in reality its the urban sprawl outside the city boundary is getting all the new families, etc.

• Advertisement

The irony is that Cork has two of the most suitable areas for high rise in the country. The Docklands are perfect. No one lives there. There's a wide river and a train station to the south, so no one will have any of their light blocked. As a matter of fact high rise has existed for years at this location in the form of the grain silos, so no one can complain about sightlines either. Some of them would be the equivalent of about twenty stories in height.
    Another suitable location would be the Irish Steel site on Haulbowline island. Again, nobodies going to have their backgarden in shadow, no one's precious prize roses are going to wither and die. We could easily put up landmark buildings of up to 50 stories in height at this location. Imagine that as an entrance to Cork harbour!

I'm kind of going off point here but however....
    I've always thought that there should be an iconic "element" placed at the point of the city island (where the Cork Bonded Warehouses are now) to welcome people to Cork. I know there are tentative moves to develop part of the site for an iconic building, but i reckon something like the Spire or even the Statue of Christ in Rio or something like that would be so impressive!

(ps I use these as examples only; I have no wish to turn the thread into a debate about whether people like the spire and/or christianity)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Um, from his argument that it follows that it is clear that houses have no business in modern cities! Just look at the anti-social behaviour in some of the council estates! We should all just give up and go dig holes in the ground to live in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I know there are tentative moves to develop part of the site for an iconic building,

You mean the "Port of Cork" with the burned out r isn't good enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

I have two issues with this document:

1) It is called a "case study". In reality, it is a one page flyer, which appears to have been rushed out.

2) It is conventional in a map to have North facing the top of the page, and this illustration is my view an attempt at a semi 3D map of the proposed development, upside down - fine for an oil painting perhaps!

I have nothing against high rise developments in Cork - if anything the city needs more of them (in the right place) to make the city look more of a city and less of a "big country town". High rise is also essential from an ecological point of view - because it allows more intensive public transport systems operating at greater frequency to serve higher living and working densities.

If anything, the new bridges associated with this proposed development will be one of the more beneficial components - there is no river crossing between the JL Tunnel and Morissons Island. I'm sure it hasn't escaped some planners minds that the new bridge(s) could be used to run a tram line via Kent Station - which might start in the Western suburbs (Bishopstown or perhaps even Ballincollig - if one or two property developers in that area was encouraged to put their hands in the pockets and contribute to the capital cost). The line could run on via Docklands partly using the old railway line, with a split in the line (T1) serving Mahon and (T2) terminating perhaps in Douglas.

They could then keep the scruffy, badly maintained, smoggy, ugly Bus Eireann buses out of the city centre, and re-use them to feed the tram system from various points in suburbia.

.probe

But it's not a map.........

Some very good points nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bippy

Just a suggestion, but as part of the docklands redevelpment how about the GAA, Cork city council and a developer (Howard Holdings?) knocking Pairc Ui Chaoimh and developing a new 50,000 all seater state of the art all purpose stadium with a conference/concert venue and training/leisure facilities (swimming pool complex, all weather pitches,parks etc) on that site and also on the showgrounds site.
    Also the developer can as part of the agreement build offices and housing/apartments as part of the whole complex.
    All week the place will be busy with people working in the area and in the evenings and weekends they will be replaced by people enjoying themselves at a match or concert or using the leisure facilities.
    Portsmouth AFC are to develop something similar in their dockland area.
    http://www.pompeyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/...016037,00.html
    The same Architects have designes the Allianz Arena and the Olmypic stadium in Beijing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

nesf wrote:
    Just look at the anti-social behaviour in some of the council estates!
    Exactly. One of my friends living in an apartment block in Cork recently complained about vandalism in the vicinity. When the problem was looked into, the source of the problem was found to come from a nearby council estate.

It's rumoured that Councillor Dave McCarthy is now running in the coming General Election now by the way :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

These guys have been getting away with being complete idiots for years. The lack of interest in local politics, poor pay for local councilors means that the council has become a home for the bewildered, the befuddeled and the foolish!

There's a huge difference between high quality highrise and the ballymun flats! They were a social disaster for a whole load of other reasons and had all the design flair of tesco value cornflakes box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

probe wrote:
    http://www.howardpropertyplc.com/hh/pdf/southdocklands.pdf

Is this real? Do Howard Holdings propose to move Pairc ui Caoimh, and everything else in their proposed South Docklands project north of the river, almost to Montonottee?
    .probe

what are you on about.... look at the development plan again...

ITS IN THE SAME PLACE:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Only thing is, all those new residents will be complaining about any future developments to Pairc ui Caoimh - or late games, or Saturday games etc.

Also, if they are going to develop that area I think it would be nice if they moved the buildings back from the river a bit, and created a nice walkway along the river out towards Blackpool castle. It's a nice place to walk at the mo, but with all those new buildings will come lots of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

shnaek wrote:
    Only thing is, all those new residents will be complaining about any future developments to Pairc ui Caoimh - or late games, or Saturday games

that would be the new residents over the river in the north side.:rolleyes:

Advertisement