Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arming Up

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Bush is a political envangelist. Since about the 70s [When envangelical movements became politically mobilised] every mainstream US Presidential candidate has had to establish their credentials as god fearing bible thumpers to win over the god fearing bible thumpers to support them both in votes and activism. Anyone who basically highlights his/her secularism and disbelief in crazy religious views alienates a section of the electorate. The Republicans have been better at this than the Democrats but the Democrats still try. Bush is seen to be envangelical because he has to be seen to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

I fear war in Korea far more than any other war I can see as a realistic possibility on the horizon, given I've got more chance of getting killed there.

NTM

Cheer up MM. All the US and S Korea has to do is stop sending the rice. Aftera few months the NKA will be too weak from hunger to fight back.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

People should realise that war doesn't stop terrorism. It will always be with us and, if anything, war makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Kevster wrote:
    People should realise that war doesn't stop terrorism. It will always be with us and, if anything, war makes it worse.

Sadly too many decision makers believe otherwise. The mess in Iraq has made terrorism a hell of a lot worse in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

Judt wrote:

Israel would prefer if it didn't have to send its sons to die in Lebanon and the West Bank.

It doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

It doesn't.
    Snore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Judt wrote:
    Snore.
    I'm so sorry. This is clearly the wrong place to talk politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Sometimes, but not always true. War in Afghanistan disrupted the AQ training programs from which AQ launched their attacks on western targets, and indoctrinated their followers. That miltary means is not the complete solution to terrorism does not mean it can be discounted as being part of the solution. The most fanatical and dangerous cannot be reasoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sand wrote:
    Sometimes, but not always true. War in Afghanistan disrupted the AQ training programs from which AQ launched their attacks on western targets, and indoctrinated their followers. That miltary means is not the complete solution to terrorism does not mean it can be discounted as being part of the solution. The most fanatical and dangerous cannot be reasoned with.

Very good point, but if you over do it, it will back fire. We have seen this with Iraq. The most fanatical will have to be killed or imprisoned permanently regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

I'm so sorry. This is clearly the wrong place to talk politics.
    More make silly statements like "Israeli mothers are happy to see their children die, so long as they take two arabs with them." Ever met an Israeli mother?

I didn't say that, or anything like it. And no, I have not met an Israeli mother.

Advertisement