Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless problems

• 29-04-2007 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

I've read, the FAQs and the links on it, but am still a bit stumped.

OK this is complicated to explain, but I'll do my best.

Basic problem is I can't get my laptop connected properly to my wireless network.

My internet works fine on the house computer (which is physically connected to the wireless router).

But it doesn't work properly on my laptop (which has wireless bulit in).

I can browse the interet a bit on my latop, but every minute or so I get the dreaded "Problem loading Page" screen.

Now you may think that my network is simply disconnecting all the time, but the thing is for some reason I'm never actually connected to the network. When I try to connect it never does and always says "Not Connected" beside the netwrok name and always has a red X through the little computer icon in the system tray.

So how I even get on the internet to begin with is a mystery to me.

I'm fairly sure its a networking problem and not one with my laptop, because i can always connect to friends networks at their houses.

As you can imagine it's incredibly annoying being d/c all the time.

Few details:
    Router - Belkin Wireless - 54Mbps - 2.4GHz - 802.11g - G
    ISP - Think it's BT*.
    Not really sure what other details are needed, but ask if you need more.

Also what connection setting should my router be set up with?
    ie, PPPoE. PPPoA, Dynamic IP (1483 Bridged), Static IP (IPoA)? I don't have a clue about them.

*lol I Know its really stupid that I'm not certain on my ISP. I changed phone companies from BT to Gaelic Telecom couple of months ago. they rang and said they had troubles getting our BB connected (something about a missing MAC code). AFAIK they never got it sorted, and BT billed us recently, so I assume our BB is still with BT, while our phoneline is now with Gaelic Telecom. BTW is there any qucik way I can check this to make 100%?
    Regardless, the problem outdates the comapny change-over anyway.

Thanks guys, I'd really appreicate some help with this casue it's driving me mad.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

www.internetfrog.com will tell you who are you with - if you are with BT it may make a reference to PostGem.

the router should be set up with ppoe but presumably it is set up correctly if your pc is able to connect to the net.

Advertisement