Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New spec - advice?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I would say go for a 680i nvidia board like this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=333220

I would also say change the cpu fan to something like the scythe ninja( not sure it will fit in that case)

Change the ram to pc6400 the price of ram has came down alot

and then it just comes down to the gfx depending on what you want to do or play

Ok I did out a list here you get a better psu and better ram although you can upgrade it further if you want but I dont think there is a need really.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan

XFX nForce 680i LT SLI, Socket-775, GbLAN, DDR2, SATAII, ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16

Crucial DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL5, Kit w/two matched DDR2 PC6400 1024MB CL5

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150

Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front , 25 cm Fan, Super tower (Without PSU)

Scythe Ninja PLUS CPU Cooler, 120mm Fan, 40

Total: 1,169.90

So only 30 dearer and better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks Plonk - I'll have a look at the items tomorrow. Why do you say the nVidia board is better tho? And what's the advantage of PC6400 RAM over PC4200? I'm probably not going to overclock it tbh so I don't see the need for the higher clock speed. As for HDD - not much in it really - they're all pretty much the same - however Seasonic gets great reviews in Custom PC over Seagate. 620W may be overkill too - I'm not even convinced I need 550 :D.

You said you wanted 2x pci-e so I thought this board was a good one you could go for a cheaper 650i board or a p965 board like the ds4 with 2 pci-e but it doesnt really matter.

The ram for the price difference is worth it IMO as your going from 533mhz to 800mhz.

The hdds dont really matter its buyers preference and the psu is meant to be 1 of the best out there with 8x sata and 2 pci-e power connecters you might not have to upgrade it for a while.

It all depends on your graphics card really but if u want to go sli in the future the 620 might not even be enough but Im sure it would.

Edit : Actually the ram you picked out is dearer so I would definatly recommend you going for the pc6400 as speed matters more than the latency of the ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Also considering the Asus AB9 QuadGT now. I'll do a comparison of yours to that one. The Asus ones don't support Linux I've discovered so that's out.

A mate also recommended the Corsair psu (well the 520W one). For the sake of €40 I may as well get the 620. You're right about the RAM. I'll revisit that component later on today.

Thanks for the tips :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement