Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Condemned bombs at box office

• 29-04-2007 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Ooh this is not what Austin and McMahon wanted at all. Stone Cold had said his fans would come out to support his film but that hasn't been the case as PWInsider reports:
    A number of movie sites are estimating that "The Condemned" did just $1.3 million at the box office last night, finishing a very bad eighth overall. It is being projected as doing a $3.5 million gate for the weekend which, given the promotion and advertising that has been done for the movie, is just a total disaster for WWE Films.

That's an embarrassment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

But all those good reviews during WWE programming :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wouldn't have expected it to do brilliant, but I'm sure it'll make a ton of money in rentals, as The Marine seems to be doing. There must be more Austin fans than there are Cena fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Timing is everything. If he had done it 8 years ago, it probably would have been huge but in 2007 he's not "the guy" anymore.

I hope it picks up for Austin though. I listened to him talk about the movie and acting in general and he seemed really into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Not surprised, the promos looked like a pile of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

yeah i feel worse for austin , i think this will hurt his image and its not like he needed this movie !! its a pity , im a huge fan of austin !!! but he looks like a sellout doing this **** !! fair eugh kane doing a movie but austin is a legend and shouldnt of done it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its not like its the first movie hes ever been in,and he was in a load of episodes of nash bridges a few years back,wwe films need to make something original not rehash other ideas,although the triple h western theyre making will probably be rubbish as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The reason it bombed is cos the promos told the whole story of the film bar the fight between Vinnie and Austin and I'm assuming Austin stunners him to death or impales him with a luthez press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bubs101 wrote:
    The reason it bombed is cos the promos told the whole story of the film bar the fight between Vinnie and Austin and I'm assuming Austin stunners him to death or impales him with a luthez press.

think you mean a Lou Thesz press,id pay good money to see him stunner vinnie jones though

I've heard that while most of the reviews for the film have been harsh, a lot of them have still praised Austin for acting well, so it might not be all bad for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

WWE need to quit trying for films to be honest, and use the franchise for documentaries. The Mania of Wrestlemania one was pretty decent actually. But as far as movies are concerned, not one of them have been decent, The Marine, See No Evil were straight to DVD releases here i think, i've a feeling The Condemned will be the same. They can praise The Rock for his bits in the Mummy movies, but those movies were successes worldwide. All the WWE movies franchise seems to care about is how well it does on their side of the pond.

Failing that, they can throw it in the can along with the WBF, XFL and WWF New York and the rest of their failings.
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

vince is an entreprenuer, WWE is alway going to be releasing new stuuf but i love the backstage documentaries were there dont have 2 use storylines and you might see a face and heel chatting away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Fozzy wrote:
    There must be more Austin fans than there are Cena fans!

i wouldve thought that was a given as well :o

Fozzy wrote:
    There must be more Austin fans than there are Cena fans!

That's probably true but the demographic of Cena fans means they are more likely to see a movie that's been panned by critics than a 20 year-old Austin fan. Going to **** films means alot more when you have to pay. And in fairness to Cena, the Marine looked like a better film

Bubs101 wrote:
    And in fairness to Cena, the Marine looked like a better film

Really? I thought The Condemned looks a good bit better. The Marine trailers looked so cheesy, with Cena doing that big dive as an explosion went off behind him

I'm sure WWE will be sticking to making films as long as they make a good bit of money out of it. I really think they should do a comedy of some kind though

evad_lhorg wrote:
    i wouldve thought that was a given as well :o

Yeah folks, but you gotta remember, Most of Austins fans were 16+, as opposed to Cena's chain gang of kids! ;)

VR!

Fozzy wrote:
    I'm sure WWE will be sticking to making films as long as they make a good bit of money out of it. I really think they should do a comedy of some kind though

I'm not so sure they will. I was looking at the wikipedia article for Kane's film and the figures seemed absolutely shocking, most notably the figures they got outside of the US.

Also the critical reception that these films have been getting have been even worse. I think the WWE seriously risks losing any credibility with these films. It just seems to me to be a knee jerk reaction to them losing the Rock to acting and thus, missing the boat

At least they're using Trips in their next film given that he has some experience from Blade Trinity but if it's a western it's gonna be shocking. I just can't picture him on a horse.
    Fozzy wrote:
    I really think they should do a comedy of some kind though

The funny thing is that that idea would probably work. They have plenty of wrestlers who could pull that off like Edge, Kennedy, JBL, Flair and although you all hate him, The Miz would revel in such a role. Wrestlers in serious roles are crap and for proof, watch smallville series 6 and laugh at Ashley, Kane and Batista having a go

I think HHH's film is a "modern western", so he'll be more likely to be on a motorbike than a horse. He was on a horse for the WM ads a couple of years ago though! Parodying Braveheart with Flair on a donkey

I wouldn't call the figures for the movie shocking. They've made nearly twice their money back on it. As long as they're making that sort of money I don't see them finishing with it

Fozzy wrote:
    I think HHH's film is a "modern western", so he'll be more likely to be on a motorbike than a horse. He was on a horse for the WM ads a couple of years ago though! Parodying Braveheart with Flair on a donkey

The funniest out of all those skits!, The Austin Gladiator one being the worst (finally aired at the beginning of the PPV), the Christian Benoit and Kiebler one doing the parody of Basic Instinct one was pretty good too..

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

westerns are a real mans movie, so only womenly people won't like them, no matter how bad they are, thats a scientific fact, theres absolutely no basis in fact or proof for this but it is scientific fact.
    seriously though they had a hand in Rocks early movies, "walking tall", and "the rundown", vinnie mac and wwe films are in the credits, so i'd love to see their overall input and output in regards finances etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The first movies made money, which is actually more than wwe expected. As long as they don't overstretch themselves I can see them still making a nice bit of profit on their films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I want to see this movie cos Battle Royale - its Japanese brilliance + Austin + Vinny Jones = entertainment.

I'd rather see it than the Marine anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The funniest out of all those skits!, The Austin Gladiator one being the worst (finally aired at the beginning of the PPV), the Christian Benoit and Kiebler one doing the parody of Basic Instinct one was pretty good too..

VR!

Thought the best was the "You talkin to me" taxi driver parody with Batista and a few others.

Only for Snitsky's part in it, where something falls down (can't quite remember) and he yells "THAT wasn't MY fault!"

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Cactus Col wrote:
    The first movies made money, which is actually more than wwe expected. As long as they don't overstretch themselves I can see them still making a nice bit of profit on their films
    have to agree with that, vinnie mac's not stupid enough to get involved if theres no money.just need to cut back a bit on the amount of movies.

Advertisement