Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safely remove hardware icon

• 29-04-2007 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

How do you get rid of this annoying "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, without actually removing the hardware? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

why would you want to get rid of it??? its not exactly annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Probably best to leave it unhide. You can use the 'hide when inactive' option under the options for the taskbar (right click taskbar, click Customize and then set the option beside Safely Remove hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

Ruu wrote:
    Probably best to leave it unhide. You can use the 'hide when inactive' option under the options for the taskbar (right click taskbar, click Customize and then set the option beside Safely Remove hardware.

Well, that's an option, but then I get the stupid little "arrow" icon, that tells me I have "hidden icons"! I can't stand having anything there actually (except the clock). Any other suggestions on how I can get rid of the arrow now? LOL :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Carlimited wrote:
    Well, that's an option, but then I get the stupid little "arrow" icon, that tells me I have "hidden icons"! I can't stand having anything there actually (except the clock). Any other suggestions on how I can get rid of the arrow now? LOL :cool:

As far as I know the only way is to right-click the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize notifications. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide from the dropdown list in the behavior column next to it (press Apply and OK to back out.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i think in xp pro you can use gpedit.msc to remove the systray, but you lose the time too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

As far as I know the only way is to right-click the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize notifications. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide from the dropdown list in the behavior column next to it (press Apply and OK to back out.

I tried that already, but of course, no luck. I guess I'll just live with the stupid icon. Thanks anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Right click the notification area
    customize notifications
    click on the behaviour for a dropdown
    select always hide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Carlimited wrote:
    How do you get rid of this annoying "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, without actually removing the hardware? :confused:

These reputable XP tweaks have all been developed by Doug Knox.

Hide all Notification Area Icons:
    Download Here

Undo Hide all Notification Icons:
    Download Here

Hide System Clock:
    Download Here

Undo Hide System Clock:
    Download Here

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's Windows XP you're using then download TweakUI from the XP Powertools page and install it.

Go to Taskbar and Start Menu options as shown here
    tweakuixg2.jpg
    and uncheck Show taskbar notification icons. That will remove all icons, and the little arrow for hidden icons, and only leave the clock. It's a handy tool for removing all sorts of other Windows annoyances too, though personally I like having a few certain icons visible down there.

Advertisement