Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drilling for water - well

• 29-04-2007 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi folks,

I'm still in the initial stages of the build and have been informed by the water service that the site is outside the connection area and drilling for a well seems to be the only viable option. Just wondering if there's any information about well boring companies (Monaghan area/the north), prices or pointers people could offer?
    Many thanks

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The obvious answer to who you can get - try yellow pages. As you have just started works you would or have an architect/engineer who may be able to advise.

The one thing I would point out is that a few of the firms will guarantee you water but 2 things you need to look out for. A complete breakdown of their charges in advance to include extra cost involved for drilling below a specific depth. The water that they find may not be fit for human consumption so you are looking at the cost of having it analysed and treated accordingly. So you need to be sure that if they are charging you say €5000 for a guaranteed water supply that you will be able to use that water without any further treatment.

You need to establish that they can issue you with a projected flow rate also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

when I drilled for water, all my neighbours were in the 20-30m depth range, so I thought I was good to go.

I ended up having to go 90m, and because I wasn't aware that I could have done a deal for a per metre basis, at different depths, I paid top dollar for the entire drilling depth. IEP 5,000, at the time, a long time ago.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bofo

Folks

Many thanks for the information. I've heard prices of Euro 12,000 being branded about... Thanks again for the pointers - there's a few things I wouldn't have thought about.

All the best

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

ive received prices in the range of 2000 - 3200 euro, cant get an exact figure until they know how deep they need to go etc..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

the geological survey of Ireland have maps on their web site showing the types of aquifers and potential for water.

Local well drilling companies should have a good idea so to dept/location of waters from experience

In all likelyhood you are looking to go down 100m at the minimum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement