Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pci graphics card

Options
  • 29-04-2007 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

want to buy a budget/midprice pci graphics card that will handle games,pci only not pci express.anyone recommend a card?cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

PCI gfx cards arent great so you wont be playing the latest games with one, i got a Geforce fx5200 256mb about 2 years ago for my DELL Dimension 2400, 2.4ghz, 760mb ram, plays counter strike source and call of duty 2 quite well, just about plays BF2 and BF2142 , was well worth the money , kept me going for a few years.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304713

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Geforce 6200 PCI

Ati X1300 PCI

Both the best options available right now and both far better then an Fx5200 although still fairly weak - definitely only to be recommended for older games, or reasonably hardware friendly ones like Half Life 2. PCI is a lost cause for gaming I'm afraid really. There's only so far it can go, and at its current 'best card' range would be considered obsolete and outdated for years in relation to Agp and Pci-Express.

What kind of games do you want to play? If it's anything remotely intensive, like Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, FEAR Combat, that sort of thing, PCI Cards are a lost cause and will perform absolutely horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

games i would be playing are cod2,armed assault,brothers in arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Brothers in Arms should work ok; Call of Duty 2 will run but not very well and only in Dx7 mode - Armed Assault, however, is a lost cause to be honest. If you could get it running, it would be on very low settings. That game isn't very hardware friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

thanks for the help all,cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement