Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot Partition Resizing/Merging - Windows 2003

• 29-04-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a (preferably free) partition resize tool that will allow me to merge a D: partition into the C: boot one without having to reformat the machine.

It's a backup server so I'll do it that way if I have to, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has used a program to do this that they can recommend?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/5079e4a1-b0be-4fdf-9b4a-ece7a0755c5c1033.mspx?mfr=true
    You cannot extend a system volume, boot volume, striped volume, mirrored volume, or RAID-5 volume.

I've used ntfsreize on the Knoppix CD before, not sure if it's on the live ubuntu cd but you can apt-get it. Probably best to use qtparted (knoppix) / gparted (ubuntu) so you can see what's going on

use spacemonger to ID larger junk folders and clean them out
    defrag the drives
    if using qtparted - it will only shrink from the top so you would have to delete the D: and grow the C: and restore into it - be careful of duplicate folders

if using gparted - it will shrink the bottom so C: would grow into this space and then you move the files across (boot back in to NTFS to do that - reboot with the CD for the next shrink and so on )

Make sure you have a backup of the server and are capable of rebuilding it and have all the driver disks before you do it.

Do you have RAID ? many high end scsi cards have utilities to resize partitions - you might be better off doing it that way, also if you can pop in a large SCSI drive you can move / mirror the C: to it and then expand it and then mirror backwards ( I prefer this way because if anything horrible happens you can just revert back to the mirror )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers.. its not that big a deal to rebuild it. All it's doing is acting as a print and IM server, both of which could be set back up in an hour.
    It's an old HP Netserver with 3 disks in RAID5 yea.

I'll have a look at that though. Partition Magic (before Symantec took it over anyway) used to support 2000 server but it doesnt do 2003 unfortunately :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Partition Magic (before Symantec took it over anyway) used to support
    Don't get me started on Backup Exec (before Symantec took it over anyway)

Advertisement