Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this 530i over priced?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote:
    eoin, yeah ive driven an mtec 5 and its a different car to the std one to be fair tweaked suspension makes a big difference, feels pretty much like the e46 only bigger. im half afraid of an rx8, they are very tail happy and to be fair i like powerful cars but im not someone who likes to press on all the time on back roads esp if i dont know them, the 530 could be a more comfortable solution.

the look of this particular one has really grabbed me aswell

Ah right, was just checking. The one I drove was standard, and I found the steering a little vague compared to my 3 series. That's on Eibach pro springs though, so shouldn't have been too surprised. I found that the tiptronic gear changes took a little while to react also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cyrus wrote:
    proper 2 litre is 689, difference is just over 400 quid or 8 quid a week, like i said, irish people have a strange aversion to paying slightly more road tax :confused:

Sorry, you are incorrect. Having recently taxed my E200 Kompressor - not a the 1.8 version - I can assure you the tax is Eur539.

See here for proof http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/motor_tax/taxing_vehicles/motor_tax_rates_of_duty_-_private_vehicles.asp

So, what exactly is a 'proper' 2.0 ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a car with an engine capacity of 2001 cc :p

anyway the point still stands make it €9 a week,

obviously (and this is not a pop at you just an observation) you arent particularily into performance if you bought a car the size of an eclass with a 4 pot 2 litre engine, and this is why you see the extra tax as a deterrent.

a large engine in a large car (within reason) can be almost as frugal as smaller one as it can deal carrying the weight around, my 2.5 bmw 3 series was more economical than my mums 2 litre. plus you have the extra performance when needed.

Anyway the irish fixation with this is good news for me, i bought my 323ci for the less than what an average 00 318ci was going for :confused: despite the huge price difference when new, mind boggles!

to my mind a non 6cyl petrol bmw isnt an attractive purchase

eoin_s wrote:
    Ah right, was just checking. The one I drove was standard, and I found the steering a little vague compared to my 3 series. That's on Eibach pro springs though, so shouldn't have been too surprised. I found that the tiptronic gear changes took a little while to react also.

did you stick the auto into sport mode? makes a big difference, i hated my dads e60 until i found that by pushing the lever left you activated sport mode, much nicer drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote:
    did you stick the auto into sport mode? makes a big difference, i hated my dads e60 until i found that by pushing the lever left you activated sport mode, much nicer drive!

Yeah, did that - but think I'm just too used to the low-down pull from my tractor engine. Since getting a new MAF put in, it's pretty nippy.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    a car with an engine capacity of 2001 cc :p
    cannot be taxed as a 2.0, so my point stands...
    obviously (and this is not a pop at you just an observation) you arent particularily into performance if you bought a car the size of an eclass with a 4 pot 2 litre engine, and this is why you see the extra tax as a deterrent.
    oh dear, now you really shouldn't have said that - it's both presumptous AND ill-informed.......next thing you'll tell me is that Size Matters :rolleyes: http://homepage.eircom.net/~moylan/ttmx5.jpg and http://homepage.eircom.net/~moylan/my911.jpg are offered in evidence, m'lud......;) And that's only the 4-wheel stuff..........
    a large engine in a large car (within reason) can be almost as frugal as smaller one as it can deal carrying the weight around, my 2.5 bmw 3 series was more economical than my mums 2 litre. plus you have the extra performance when needed.
    don't doubt that for a minute, but there is a balance. In fact, the handbook for the 911 says 41 mpg @ 75mph........
    Anyway the irish fixation with this is good news for me, i bought my 323ci for the less than what an average 00 318ci was going for :confused: despite the huge price difference when new, mind boggles!
    yes, good for you. And you'll sell at a similar discount when the time comes to change, too.
    to my mind a non 6cyl petrol bmw isnt an attractive purchase
    Fair enough, but hand me a hi-po 4-pot over a too-heavy six-pot anytime. The original M3, remember, was a 4-pot whilst the Joe Public version was a 6-pot.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

lol seems i was wrong, but are they all yours? i dont doubt it but who needs 4 cars :D and an e200 does some out of kilter with the rest?

as for your point standing so does mine change €8 per week to €8.50

ive just sold my 323ci, cost me about 1,000 euros in depreciation to own it for 7.5 months and drive 13,000 miles, very good value motoring.

the original m3 was a 4 pot, the new one will be a v8? so? what im saying is, a bmw 318 is in my opinion a bmw in badge only, you can be sure there's very few of them (proportionally speaking) sold in germany and the uk

yep, all me own..........fault !! LOL :D

Merc was, a well,.........well you should do everything at least once, I guess.......

I'm with you about the 318, though.......and you did well on the 323.

Currently having the (endless) 993 vs 968 vs chipped TT debate.....

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote:
    yep, all me own..........fault !! LOL :D

Merc was, a well,.........well you should do everything at least once, I guess.......

I'm with you about the 318, though.......and you did well on the 323.

Currently having the (endless) 993 vs 968 vs chipped TT debate.....

now thats easy, clean 993 every time :) altho nice choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Cyrus wrote:
    proper 2 litre is 689, difference is just over 400 quid or 8 quid a week, like i said, irish people have a strange aversion to paying slightly more road tax :confused:

More than that I'm afraid for a year 2000 on 520. The e39 520i has a 2.2 (2171cc) costing €722 to tax. The 3L will be €1,109, so fair comment, there isn't much in it.

As for the 530i, its a fine example, but a bit high priced for the year and with the way petrol is going it won't be easy to shift it. It could well be an import, which is no bad thing, but 5s are very easy to clock so check the log for a previous UK reg and HPI check it.

Service book is a good guide, if it's there, but a quick look on eBay for e39 service books should be a pointer. Dealer or not, get a look at the registration cert and HPI check before you buy.

Have a look at 2002 530D's too. A rocket, and available for below 18k for an 80k mile example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,363 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    ive just sold my 323ci, cost me about 1,000 euros in depreciation to own it for 7.5 months and drive 13,000 miles, very good value motoring

You did very well - again!
    Cyrus wrote:
    the irish fixation with this is good news for me

Hush now - do not spread the word! Or risk a lengthy ban ;)

hehe sorry, did you get my pm?

hmmm whats the story

they were sellin this car in feb this year

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2487&highlight=530i

either they lied to me about only getting it back in last week or someone kept it a very short time

Advertisement