Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Door-to-Door Canvassing a Waste of Time?

Options
  • 29-04-2007 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Even in the last 5 years the numbers who live in apartment blocks and other types of 'gated comunities has shot up, add to that the numbers of foreign nationals who don't have the vote in national elections and one would wonder if (certainly in cities) its worth "shlepping" around in the rain interrupting valuable Champions League/Corrie viewing time?

Does it make a ha'penny of difference to a candidate to door-step potential voters and would any dare not canvass in this fashion?

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Makes absolutely no difference to me.

I have had 'An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern in the area' (as the obseqious types that accompanied Mr. Orange Face referred to him) round my door three times in the last 6 months - showing how scared the Shinners have them in Dublin Central. I think I was supposed to be impressed that 'Bertie' found time for little old me.

Instead I found it pathetic that FF expect that a handshake from 'Bertie' would make me change my political allegiance. It's what comes of their not having any 'real' political leaning and glorifying the personality I suppose.

"Bertie? Sure you're desperate with that money and brown envelopes and the state of the health service and all, but sure of course, you've shook my hand so I'll give you a first preference."

Baa, as the sheep say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its all planned. They use the register of electors and previous results to target specific areas.

Register of electors: only call to people who can vote, the rest won't influence the result. Also, commuters don't vote.

Previous results: not exact, but they can have a good guess, based on tallies as to how a particular area votes. There is little need to canvass areas where you always get 99% or 1% of the vote. They go for the places where they can make a swing.
    I think I was supposed to be impressed that 'Bertie' found time for little old me.
    Only met Bertie twice. He ignored me the first tiem, so I ignored him the second. The look was priceless. :D
    Baa, as the sheep say.
    Orange sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are certain groups of people who like and expect it and most of them would be older and more likely to vote. Personally, it make no difference, but what it does show is that the face on the poster is prepared to show up. Even though that means we moan about them only showing up at election time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I love it when they come around knocking on the door - I always have a fresh criticism ready and I love seening them squirm.

Mind you, none of them seemed to come around my place last election time...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A good photographer can make much more difference - look at the MaryLou posters the last Euros. An impression of someone young, energetic, modern, not at all a beardy old Provo gunrunner who likes to blow up women and kids - and in she went, although she benefitted from the protest vote too.

Having seen her in real life, if I ever need photos taken I shall seek out the person who took those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The two most important factors that influence voting preference in Ireland are familial tradition and personal connections with the candidate (including meeting them personally, as witnessed by the "I met Bertie six thousand times" comments on this thread). Knocking on doors is a very hard way to get votes, a whole night's work might only change the preference of two or three people, but it still counts.

You get five people canvassing five nights a week you will get about 35 extra votes a week. You have twenty canvassing six nights a week you will get more than 150 extra votes a week. Do this for six weeks and you get 1000 votes and suddenly you have the difference between winning a seat or not. It's a lot of work, but campaign machines make a big difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Depends on the area I think. My mother considered someone she might not have before after the knocked on her door, last election. Since then she's always maintained its worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

Personally I think its a waste of time , nothing annoyed me more when i lived in in a housing estate then 3 or 4 different showers knocking on the door each evening, these days I live in the countryside with big gates and 2 dogs between me and them, good luck to them if they jump the wall and ring my doorbell, anyway I think its about time to give the opposition a chance , they will behave themselves for the first term because they will have their eye on a second term, and I dont think they can be any worse than the shower who are in at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is there anywhere I can hire attack dogs for the next month. I can see FF, the PD's and the Sinners plagueing us with visits up to the election !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I suggest a sheet of A4 with 100 point type

NO POLITICAL CAVASSING THANKYOU

in a stratigic position.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mike65 wrote:
    Can I suggest a sheet of A4 with 100 point type

NO POLITICAL CAVASSING THANKYOU

in a stratigic position.

Mike.

I'd add No Door to Door Salesmen and No surveys etc to that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gandalf wrote:
    Is there anywhere I can hire attack dogs for the next month. I can see FF, the PD's and the Sinners plagueing us with visits up to the election !!!
    Oh yes, and Fine Gael, Labour and Greens don't canvass at all:rolleyes:

Actually, its only been FG, Lab and Greens to my door more than once so far. All others just once.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Already had FF around twice in the previous few weeks even before the feckin election was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh yes, and Fine Gael, Labour and Greens don't canvass at all:rolleyes:

The attack dogs can be trained to only attack the government parties and be friendly to the rest:D

Noone has come near my apartment.:(
    And I thought Bertie, my local TD was supposed to have a crack team of canvassers who knew everybody in the constituency.
    Even the TV licence man knows who I am-trying to avoid him.

I'm registerd to postal vote for home down the country-do the party officals target people who vote in another constituency to help the party cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

My da is canvassing for a friend of his who is a FF senator, hoping to become a TD. He asked his FF friend to put my two sisters on the register for him, I just checked it up and guess what, they aren't on it. :rolleyes: FF's representatives can't even get that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Research from Trinity indicates that meeting a candidate in person does have a significant impact on voting intentions - see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53103963&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Is it considered generally obnoxious and/or personally insulting to keep on watching Corrie/Champions League and not answer the door. As has been said, a quick yap and a handshake won't change your preferences, and you're saving them time better spent tapping up the neighbours.

The easiest and polite thing to do say "Sorry, this is a PD house." Obviously if it's the PDs replace it with FF/FG/SF or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Ibid wrote:
    The easiest and polite thing to do say "Sorry, this is a PD house." Obviously if it's the PDs replace it with FF/FG/SF or whatever.

Actually the easiest thing to say is go away.

I fondly remember my dad attacking Aongus O Snodaigh in the front garden a few years back.
    In fairness to Aongus, the owlfella had him there for half an hour, shouting his political manifesto at him like only a seventy odd year old owlfella can with gusto and eloquence, hoe in hand.
    Aongus coward and listened. I didn't half blame him.

Ibid wrote:

I agree, they tend to get the point and if it is your party they usually just smile and say something chummy and leave quickly since you don't need convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Or live in apartment - they won't be aware you exist. :rolleyes:

bug wrote:
    Actually the easiest thing to say is go away.
    Not very polite though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

A TD came to my uncles funeral a few weeks back...none of us knew him personally or ever met him. He walked into the house without knocking, and went straight to my grandad. We were all disgusted. I can't wait for politicians I hate to come to the door! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It's always good to keep the people you wont be voting for at your doorstep as long as you can, just so they don't get to influence as many other people that night as they planned. Pretend to listen to them and after about 20 minutes tell them you never intended voting for them anyway. Already got mad Dr. Bill a few weeks ago while he was doing a leaflet drop. Not very democratic but mildly satisfying nonetheless.

If it's raining, keep them at the door even longer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Or ask something crazy like:
    "The corncrake in an endangered species, I want to hear what you plan to do on this"

It's not realy a crazy question but I doubt your average candidate will have a clue what to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I think it is worthwhile. It mightn't change your vote. I know it won't change mine but when are you going to see the candidates again over the next five years. Give out to them , tell them what needs to be done in your area etc.

Also from the candidates point of view they're after the 10-20% of people who are undecided. If they knock on those people's doors and convince them with their wit, charm and fantastic strategic plan for the area then there happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

micmclo wrote:
    Or ask something crazy like:
    "The corncrake in an endangered species, I want to hear what you plan to do on this"

It's not realy a crazy question but I doubt your average candidate will have a clue what to say

You could end up with a long-winded lecture/lament from an Green candidate with that one! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Fine Gael would explain how they hope to sign a contract with the corncrake, while at the same time respecting the farmers right to harvest crops, and trying to be as all inclusive as FF. Fianna Fail would show you a graph that says that since the government came to power there has been a 200% increase in the horniness of corncrakes, which they hope will lead to a growth in the economy for their eggs.Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Fine Gael would explain how they hope to sign a contract with the corncrake, while at the same time respecting the farmers right to harvest crops, and trying to be as all inclusive as FF. Fianna Fail would show you a graph that says that since the government came to power there has been a 200% increase in the horniness of corncrakes, which they hope will lead to a growth in the economy for their eggs.Or something.
    I loll'ed

EDIT: I think that door-to-door does more for transfers then No.1's. There are 3FG candidates in the area (I'd say only one will get in), and I have to decide who gets my 3rd preference. The FG'er who is getting it first was getting it second, until I met one of the others.

• Advertisement

EDIT: I think that door-to-door does more for transfers then No.1's. There are 3FG candidates in the area (I'd say only one will get in), and I have to decide who gets my 3rd preference. The FG'er who is getting it first was getting it second, until I met one of the others.

Yeah I'm having serious trouble there. Over half of the available candidates in my constituency are left to hard left economically which really doesn't suit me. :(

Advertisement