Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Direct

• 29-04-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Has anybody used this crowd before? They send you the materials and then supplement that with intensive seminars a couple of weeks before the exams. It's considerably cheaper than Griffith et al. I'm just looking for some reviews!

www.fe1direct.ie

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The cheapest thing of all, for any exams, is to study hard and know everything. That is to say, if you know everything that is prescribed here then no prep course will add significantly.

The counter argument is that you get important hints and tips on how to pass the exams with the minimum effort in those courses.

I would suggest that you should decide whether you prefer to do your own study, or if you like paying someone else to help you.

By the by, if you spend the money it costs to do the prep course on buying the books, they will be of assitance to you later in your career (or at least look good in your office/study)

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Stirling

Also Griffiths been on the go for so long that theres loads of their manuals floating about the place waiting to be begged, borrowed or stolen.

They don't really change all that much year on year and the exam prediction thing that they engage in can be a pretty dodgy exercise so probably best to just try and cover the lot. A lot of people who I've spoken who've done these types of prep courses have said that they didn't find the classes all that useful and that what you really need to do is dive into the manuals. In that case ask around, throw up a few ads cos you never know where you might find a few old manuals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

i sat the fe1s in 04/05.
    the first four i done distance through GCD, and done the second four with fe1-direct.

no major differences between the two, similar enough format, materials etc.

the best advice i would give is to have a small study group, say 3-4 people, who are doing the same subjects that ye can discuss difficult areas/ exam topics etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gerryok1

Hey does anyone know when the results are out for the last sitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

The cheapest thing of all, for any exams, is to study hard and know everything. That is to say, if you know everything that is prescribed here then no prep course will add significantly.

Indeed. Know everything, but nothing in great detail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

maidhc wrote:
    Indeed. Know everything, but nothing in great detail.

Whether you go into detail is a choice for you, but I prefer to be big on bloodstains, and not that great on civil liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I plan on sitting 4 in September also but was wondering if you really need to do an FE-1 course?
    I have brand new class notes for each topic off blackboard at my college and will have access to the library for any case details that I might need so I was kinda hoping this would do

Also, about the Irish exam, I'm terrible at Irish, any advice?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I plan on sitting 4 in September also but was wondering if you really need to do an FE-1 course?

No, you dont. I didn't, and i am far from a fantastic student.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Slasher!

Sometimes it depends on your ability to assimilate notes and read. A lot of legal subjects are condensable and can cross over quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

I have brand new class notes for each topic off blackboard at my college and will have access to the library for any case details that I might need so I was kinda hoping this would do

Also, about the Irish exam, I'm terrible at Irish, any advice?

Thanks

i would say yes, you do need them (no affiliation to GCD, Stanhope etc:D ).

A few friends of mine started studying without them, using their college notes; a month before the exam they forked out and crammed like mad - college notes are not, imho, enough. besides, if u are using your notes from say 2nd yr, there is a big difference between those and the standard needed for fe1s.

as fo rthe irish exam, dont worry about it - its a piece of p*ss. i was in the same boat, stressed out at my apparently hopeless situation, and i passed it no bother! it is easier than foundation irish in the L.C.!:D

Advertisement