Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hybrid bikes

• 29-04-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,

really looking for advice on hybrid bikes. Am hoping to by one so that I can start avoiding public transport. I don't have a particularly long commute (about 12 miles rouond trip each day).

Have been to a couple of bike shops and been recommended different things in all.

One recommended a Raleigh ladies (approx 280)
    The second a Planet Newport (approx 280)
    And then the Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght were suggesting the Giant Espressions N7. (529)
    I could really use some more objective advice as not knowing much about bikes I feel a bit at the mercy of the salespeople and whatever bike they want to happen to shift that week.

I have to say the Giant looks gorgeous (I know typical girl!) and was very comfortable, and is fitted out with pretty much everything. But...I'm wondering would I notice the 250 euro extra that I'm spending???

Some friends are telling me I should try to by the highest spec or most expensiv bike I can afford. But others are saying buy the cheapest bike I can and the most expensive lock!!!

Very confused.....all advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Unfortunately locks don't hinder professional bike thieves much. First determine the risk of theft, can you take it indoors at home and at work? If so then risk of theft shouldn't deter you from spending a bit more on a better quality of bike. If theft is a risk then you have to weigh the fact that the prettier and/or more expensive a bike looks the higher the risk of theft will be.

As for the Giant Expression N7 it seems you pay a lot of extra money to get the 7 speed version, too much imo. The 3 speed N3 version which is identical to the N7 in every other sense costs E385.

As for the Shimano Nexus gear hub and roller brakes they require less maintenance compared to regular gears and brakes, but they are not maintenance free as some people claim. I have a bike that has a Nexus 7 speed hub and roller brakes, the hub bearings need occasional lubrication, the roller brakes need lubrication a bit more frequently (about once a year for me). The brakes need a special type of grease, if you are not mechanically inclined it would have to be done by the shop.

My opinion of the Nexus 7 speed hub is that it is too closely geared, there are better hub gears available, but these are probably very hard to find on stock bikes. If the terrain you will be travelling on doesn't include any significant ascends then I'd favour the 3 speed version over the 7 speed, for price reasons and for the aforementioned close ratio on the 7 speed hub.

If there are significant ascends on your route, or if you want to be able to use it on more undulating terrain on leisure rides then I'd choose a bike with regular gears, they require more maintenance and a bit more mechanical sympathy to operate, but they weigh a bit less and low end versions are significantly cheaper to buy.

The same Giant Expression with normal gears and brakes cost E305.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Howya. Looks do matter - this bike will become your principal means of transport, after all - but there are other important things to consider too. The weight of the bike is a major one. Bike weight isn't just about speed but about how much effort will be required for you to propel yourself and the bike. You might find the Giant is lighter than the Raleigh or the Planet Newport, and that might account for the price difference. (In general, Giant bikes seem to be competitively priced, even though it's a name brand.)

Another important factor to consider is the upgradeability of the bike's components. If you become a regular cyclist, sooner or later something will give and need replacing. It could be something small like a brake pad or it could be something more expensive like a gear derailleur. It should be possible to replace that part simply enough i.e. without huge cost and effort. Ask the guy in the shop to verify that in relation to any model you're considering.

If commuting is your thing, comfort is hugely important, and the only way to discover which bike is best is to try them all. Take them for a test ride - not just around the car park but out onto the street, and preferably for 15 or 20 minutes. Pay close attention to any discomfort you might feel and be confident that it can be addressed by adjusting the bike e.g. by lowering or raising the saddle. If not, that bike ain't for you.

Beyond the cost of the bike, there are a few other basic costs that you really can't avoid, and shouldn't try. First, locks - and note the plural. Many commuters consider two locks essential, and two good ones at that. Avoid thin cable locks. Avoid the cheaper, flimsier u-locks. In general, go for name brands in locks, such as Kryptonite, Abus, Oxford (although bear in mind that even these will have low-end models that may not be secure enough for your purposes). I wouldn't spend less than 40 quid on a lock, and even spent 90 on one recently! Also very important: get two different kinds of lock (e.g. a cable lock and a u-lock) not two of the same kind. Having two of the same kind means a thief only needs one tool to get through both locks.

Second, lights are a legal requirement. They needn't be expensive. 30 brick should get you a half-decent front and rear light (assuming you're not cycling in completely unlit areas at night).

Third, I recommend both a high-visibility vest (about 15 or 20 quid) and a helmet (20 - 50 quid, depending). To my mind, a visi vest is the single most important factor in my safety. Every time I forget to wear it, I notice a huge difference in the way drivers respond to me. It's quite extraordinary. I don't like having to wear one, frankly, but this is one area where I think it really pays to bite the ugly bullet.

Fourth, mudguards are essential if you care about the state of your clothes. Get these fitted when you buy the bike (if they aren't already on it).

There are other things you might need if you're going to be doing longer cycles e.g. panniers (and a pannier rack), padded cycling shorts, a bottle cage and a water bottle, a cycle computer. But you can worry about them if and when you get a bit more into cycling.
    Hi there,

really looking for advice on hybrid bikes. Am hoping to by one so that I can start avoiding public transport. I don't have a particularly long commute (about 12 miles rouond trip each day).

Have been to a couple of bike shops and been recommended different things in all.

One recommended a Raleigh ladies (approx 280)
    The second a Planet Newport (approx 280)
    And then the Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght were suggesting the Giant Espressions N7. (529)
    I could really use some more objective advice as not knowing much about bikes I feel a bit at the mercy of the salespeople and whatever bike they want to happen to shift that week.

I have to say the Giant looks gorgeous (I know typical girl!) and was very comfortable, and is fitted out with pretty much everything. But...I'm wondering would I notice the 250 euro extra that I'm spending???

Some friends are telling me I should try to by the highest spec or most expensiv bike I can afford. But others are saying buy the cheapest bike I can and the most expensive lock!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Good to hear you're getting on the bike.

What makes the N7 more expensive, like membrane said, is its internal gears and roller brakes. These require almost zero maintenance (except to go to a bike shop with them every 1500 miles or so for a service) and are extremely reliable. In a way, such a bike is also less attractive to an unknowledgable thief because it doesn't look expensive, but I wouldn't bet on that! The three speed model is definitely a good way to save money, particularly if you're mostly cycling on the flat. Having loads of gears isn't really of much benefit if you're only going around the city.
    Also, as a sidenode, I'd put money on it that the Giant bike uses better parts than either the Raleigh or the Planet and will stand the years much longer. If you're really serious about cycling to work most days, you'll appreciate it's reliability!

If you're locking your bike outside, espcecially at night, you need a serious lock. Take a look at http://www.soldsecure.com/ and buy a lock that's rated silver or gold, the D-shaped ones are usually a good bet because they're lighter. Bear in mind that all of these locks will set you back at least €50, and helmet and some lights will probably cost you the same again. Remember to lock your bike by the frame, and if possible by one of the wheels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

You are not comparing like with like, the link you provided points to the model with standard gears and brakes which as I mentioned in my post costs E305 in CycleSuperStore.

• Advertisement

You're right, copied and pasted the wrong window... http://www.cyclex.co.uk/index.php/product/145500-cx.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublingiggirl

HI again,

really appreciate all the advice. Has anyone ever ordered bikes from those online stores that people have put up links to? The most I've ordered online has been books and CDs. How much assembly is required if you get a bike in the post?? (Needless to say it won't be me doing the assembling!):D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i've gotten a couple of bikes online. all you have to do is put on the pedals, the front wheel and attach the handlebars/seatpost. very easy for anyone who has any bike knowledge at all..

personally for a bargain solid hybrid, i'd look at the subway range in halfords, starts at 300 or so with the subway 1, which got a 10/10 in a recent cycling plus review..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

copacetic wrote:
    i've gotten a couple of bikes online. all you have to do is put on the pedals, the front wheel and attach the handlebars/seatpost. very easy for anyone who has any bike knowledge at all...
    Yes, I have had a few. Some bits are a little tricky, like the headset, i.e. knowing how tight it should be. You can always put most on and bring it to a bike shop for a once over, still should be far cheaper than buying here. UK RRP is a lot lower than here, due to VAT & I presume economies of scale (shipping in containers of bikes).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rubadub wrote:
    Yes, I have had a few. Some bits are a little tricky, like the headset, i.e. knowing how tight it should be. You can always put most on and bring it to a bike shop for a once over, still should be far cheaper than buying here. UK RRP is a lot lower than here, due to VAT & I presume economies of scale (shipping in containers of bikes).

agreed, the tricky bit is probably knowing to tighten the headset first before the stem also...

Realisticly, probably better getting it at a shop if you can. They usually also give the first service for free. Just shop around, or possibly let the cycle superstore know how much it should cost :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ffs.. was almost finished reading until I seen the dates.. no wonder links didnt work..

[mod note: this thread was bumped by some spam, which I have now deleted]

[EDIT by poster - i.e. me!] - the above comment was added to my post my the same mode that deleted the spam! - maybe delete this post and bluefoams and we can all forget this ever happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

km991148 wrote: »
    ffs.. was almost finished reading until I seen the dates.. no wonder links didnt work..

[mod note: this thread was bumped by some spam, which I have now deleted]

Are you a mod? You don't look like a mod! How did you deleted a spam post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Are you a mod? You don't look like a mod! How did you deleted a spam post?

The mod note was from me (as shown on the edit). I was trying not to re-bump this thread, which you've now forced upon me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It think you should try them in a shop first. Some shops let you take them around the car park etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Now km991148 & Lumen... see what you've done! huh?

BTW OP. You should get a nice discount on a '07 hybrid, if you can find one in stock ;)

Advertisement