Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 10 years ago

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Aw legend. You can see it's just before the streets were pedestrianised because them signs are there. Remember the ones that had a countdown on them.

Also, there's the very obvious absence of the new museum. We showed them boules players where to go! Mwahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Brings back memories ... strange ... think I prefered it the way it was ...

Memories. I actually prefer Galway the way it is now, 'cause without the pedestrianised area we would have never had street performers like Johnny Massacre. I imagine it would be hard to do his routine on a busy road..

Taylors ... the old Roisins ... the Liosin .. that donut shop on Quay Street in the 80's ...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I still think turning Taylors in to Paradis is the worst bar-crime in Galway.
    Liosin turning in Living room comes second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

So weird. I remember mam givin me a slap everytime I stood on the road on Shop St.

Feels like O'Briens newsagents is about the only shop left on shopstreet from that era ?

What was easons before it was easons ... ? Its killing me trying to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

If I remember right, Easons was called O'Gormans, before it was Easons.
    Any one remember going to see Santa in Glynn's Toy Shop !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Prefer Galway now, alot less crusties.

If I remember right, Easons was called O'Gormans, before it was Easons.
    Any one remember going to see Santa in Glynn's Toy Shop !!!

O'Gormans ... thats the one :) cheers .. have a vague recollection of visiting santy : D ...

Miss the kinda service you used get in O'Conners ... sure it was a bit dearer ... but usually a member of staff would have been with you in a minute or two ...

That home brew shop on Quay Street ...

Damn ... Naughtons ... is still pretty much the same ..
    padi89 wrote:
    Prefer Galway now, alot less crusties.

Replaced by binge drinking checked shirt wearing cp goers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Doughnut and home brew shops on Quay st.?
    I'm digging in the dark recesses of my mind but can't remember them for the life of me!
    Hint anyone! :)

Think we can include Powell's and Mc Cambridge's as shop street stalwarts too...

A.

Aura wrote:
    Doughnut and home brew shops on Quay st.?
    I'm digging in the dark recesses of my mind but can't remember them for the life of me!
    Hint anyone! :)

Think we can include Powell's and Mc Cambridge's as shop street stalwarts too...

A.

Doughnut shop .. was a rather short lived thing if I remember correctly ... was down the end of quay street ... around 1986 ? used have loads of different times .. all prepared in front of you .. *sighs* .. 5 for a pound ... The home brew place was hmmm beside barnacles ? around the same time ... O'Gormans used do home brew as well .. or was it just easons in the early years ...

Was it Powells that had the Hornby Trains upstairs or was that further up the street ? ...

and I always seem to overlook Mc Cambridges :D only ever shopped there about 3 or 4 times in my life :)

The hornby train set was upstairs in Glynns toy shop. I can remember going upstairs in Powells to buy records! Real black shiney vinyl ones, Thin lizzy and
    Status quo come to mind. They are most likely up in the attic still. I used to play they on my "HiFi" system bought in O'Connors !! Happy days!

forbairt wrote:
    Replaced by binge drinking checked shirt wearing cp goers :D

Nah that crowd was always there only difference was they went to The Bentley and Thunderbirds was drunk instead of Buckfast.

padi89 wrote:
    Nah that crowd was always there only difference was they went to The Bentley and Thunderbirds was drunk instead of Buckfast.

Thunderbirds! God the fuzzy, fuzzy memories!
    Which one was it again that was the stronger, oftimes elusive one... Red or blue?

Ah yes, my misspent youth! :)

The Bentley brings back memories, I also seem to remember going to the Burrenmount, in Salthill. It was a kip, but had no dress code, and that suited
    a younger Renmorescout and his buddies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I guess I've been out of Galway too long, when did Taylor's go? I remember going to see Santa in Glynns and in Moons too. Got my first accordian in The Four Corners.

FatherTed wrote:
    I guess I've been out of Galway too long, when did Taylor's go? I remember going to see Santa in Glynns and in Moons too. Got my first accordian in The Four Corners.

Would it be 3 or 4 years ago now ?

Yeah think it was around this time in 2004.
    Such a loss, would kill to kick back in the beer garden on a day like today..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Woolworths's in Eyre Sq anyone? or clubbing in the Icon. Futurezone on Prospect Hill, and when O Connor's had a massive hi fi section down the back of the shop. No Omniplex, no galway retail park, only the Claddagh Palace or (shudder) the town hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Where's KnackerDwarf?!! :D

wet-paint wrote:
    Woolworths's in Eyre Sq anyone? or clubbing in the Icon. Futurezone on Prospect Hill, and when O Connor's had a massive hi fi section down the back of the shop. No Omniplex, no galway retail park, only the Claddagh Palace or (shudder) the town hall.

I'll go back even further, the first time I went to the cinema was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Savoy.

BTW is Rafferty's still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The first time I remember going to the cinema was going in to the Claddagh palace, with the busker at the front door, and seein Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and sneaking out half way through to go upstairs and watch Thriller.

And I gues Rafferty's is gone, cos I need to ask - is it still where? Kilcolgan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was there too to see Roger Rabbit ..remember the queue stretching along the wall in what is now the Crescent apartments
    Carrs paint shop where Supermac's Cross St is now

wet-paint wrote:

Woolworths:D ,that was some time ago.The Bentley was before the Icon but i went to the Icon too a few nights,in fact i have some "Icon" cassette lying around the house somewhere with all the cheesy choons.O'Conors was excellent i purchased **** loads there , service was top notch,got my PS1 there.
    Anyone remeber "The Savoy" arcade/cinema on Eglinton Street....real badasss, full of knacks but ya had to put up with the fvckers, there was one where the Vic is now but i think that was really hardcore scummer.The Claddagh Palace, oh i remember getting a slap or two outside that joint from one of the big scummer familys in Galway....Happy times.

Anyone go to Cheers? Or Rumers?

I think that would be Raffertys bike and music shop, across from Hugh Duffy's!
    It is long gone, replaces with a €2 store. The other Raffertys is a pub in Kilcolgon and is, I think, still there.
    Before the Claddagh Palace, the cinema was called the Asotria ! and Terry was the buskers name. He still lives up in castlepark. The other cinema, the Savoy became a roller disco place for a while and then the Snooker hall.
    The Town hall was a cinema too, before being restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah memories... Makes me somewhat nostalgic.

All the pigeons in that clip are now dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It was Rafterys on Maingaurd Street for the Raleigh Bicycle!!! Now that the Vineyard has moved, there's only Collerans, the BOI, Duffys, The Winding Stair and Barna Gifts left on that street. Shop Street and William Street still has Deelys (for now), Flanagans, McCambridges, Zhivago (anyone remember when Zhivago was above the Card Boutique?), Powells, O'Briens, The Treasure Chest, Hartmans, and a few of the pubs. Galway Camera Shop stands on Dillons old spot, which is now Claddagh Gold on Quay Street. Quay Street had Nora Crubs, the Pedlar Bookshop (with the 3 brass balls over the door). Cross Street had the Toucan Cafe where the chinese is now (just a shutter at the end of the place where you got a big brown bag of chips for 80p) and Carrs Paintshop. There was the Superbowl Restauraunt where the nightclub is on Shop St above Barrys, and Eglington Street had the Lions Tower, aka KnoKnos, Harleys Icecream Parlour, Conlons was beside the Cellar, there was the Savoy, and the Savoy Bar wasn't as clean looking! Mixers was Laffeys, Francis Street had Matts Bar (or the Yacht), and usen't there be a roller disco upstairs beside the Franciscan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i miss vagabonds... and the castle.. i know there salthill.. but hey.. there was even the wimpy out there and CJ's (never went there thought):p

the hibernian was where the advertiser is now, the first national building society is now a clothes shop...

then there was Laffeys bar on mary's street and was it Mat's bar around the corner.... Java's used to sell good and proper wholesome food back then too :D

and the chippy beside where the old gpo was...:eek:

and then there was the college bar situated in the quad.. ahh long gone are the days of sitting on the grass and hiving a cheap pint ;)

Advertisement