Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 10 years ago

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I miss drunken nights in the Snack Box on Shop street :(
    Farmers Burger yum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

biko wrote:
    I still think turning Taylors in to Paradis is the worst bar-crime in Galway.
    Liosin turning in Living room comes second.
    Number 3, the gentrification of the Roisin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

biko wrote:
    I still think turning Taylors in to Paradis is the worst bar-crime in Galway.
    Liosin turning in Living room comes second.

Living Room sucks - what was it like before? when was it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

fireblade1 wrote:
    Living Room sucks - what was it like before? when was it changed?

The liosin was a .. hmm .. trad pub ...mostly .. live music most nights ...

pool table ... great place to go between lectures in nuns island ... for a coffee and a game of pool ... had a restaurant as well ... which provided bog standard but not overly priced food .... It had atmosphere ...

The living room does do nice food .. but its now really a place of eye candy .. and just another "superpub" in my mind ... that said have been upstairs a few times for partys / matches .. and if you've got the right crowd .. its not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

<snip>and the chippy beside where the old gpo was...:eek: <snip>QUOTE]

Buck Rogers!!!

And the Living Room used to be the LISHEEN!!! I pretty much lived in it (work refered to it as my office!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Fey! wrote:
    It was Rafterys on Maingaurd Street for the Raleigh Bicycle!!! Now that the Vineyard has moved, there's only Collerans, the BOI, Duffys, The Winding Stair and Barna Gifts left on that street. Shop Street and William Street still has Deelys (for now), Flanagans, McCambridges, Zhivago (anyone remember when Zhivago was above the Card Boutique?), Powells, O'Briens, The Treasure Chest, Hartmans, and a few of the pubs. Galway Camera Shop stands on Dillons old spot, which is now Claddagh Gold on Quay Street. Quay Street had Nora Crubs, the Pedlar Bookshop (with the 3 brass balls over the door). Cross Street had the Toucan Cafe where the chinese is now (just a shutter at the end of the place where you got a big brown bag of chips for 80p) and Carrs Paintshop. There was the Superbowl Restauraunt where the nightclub is on Shop St above Barrys, and Eglington Street had the Lions Tower, aka KnoKnos, Harleys Icecream Parlour, Conlons was beside the Cellar, there was the Savoy, and the Savoy Bar wasn't as clean looking! Mixers was Laffeys, Francis Street had Matts Bar (or the Yacht), and usen't there be a roller disco upstairs beside the Franciscan?

Dont forget before Conlons it was Wimpys.
    Does anyone remember Lydon House on Shop Street?
    Also is Griffins Bakery and the GBC still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I remember Lydon House, now Zhivago. Griffins is still there (barely; they tried selling last year, IIRC), and the GBC still stands, as does Maxwells across the road.

The only Wimpy I remember predated the Galleon in Salthill.

Anyone else remember when there was a carpark at the Spanish Arch, before that monstrosity that once housed Hooker Jimmys, now the Lemongrass, was built? I still feel that that was the beginning of Galways planners running away with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fey! wrote:
    Anyone else remember when there was a carpark at the Spanish Arch, before that monstrosity that once housed Hooker Jimmys, now the Lemongrass, was built? I still feel that that was the beginning of Galways planners running away with themselves.

Nobody ran away with themselves it was just a matter of brown envelopes being thrown about.

I remember buying a few cassette tapes in Star Records where Schuh is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hm, im only a young un'......

Remember when Edward's Square was a car park? Ah I can just about remember it

Advertisement