Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roddy's Journal

Options
  • 29-04-2007 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

Roddy's Journal:

Height: 6"1
    Weight: 105kg

This is going to be a long initial post, as I have a lot to do, and lot to sort out.

I joined a gym way back in November, and had a fitness assessment a week later. Shocked is all I could think of when I walked out, 31%body fat.
    Time for a change. Before that I was playing an hour of football a week, eating crap, and hitting the beer a little too much.

So I've been going to the gym ever since and have started to do some running. Did the Bupa run a few weeks ago, and am all set to do the 5miler race on May 13th. Apart from the Gym (head about 3times a week), I'm playing astro football twice a week, and going for runs on a Saturday/Sunday.
    My aim is to be in a position to do the half marathon in the Phoenix Park in September, and then the marathon hopefully in October. I know the next few months will be crucial and that I will have to put some serious milage in.

In the gym, I do about 35mins on the threadmill - get about 5/6 km done. Do 12 mins on crosstrainer, and 10mins on rowing machine.
    Weight's wise I do chest press, lat pulldown, and leg extensions. I use the weights bench at home, and do a lot of dumbbell exercise's. This is an area I could do with some help on, as I wouldn't be to confident on what I'm doing at the moment.

My daily Diet at the moment during a week day would be something like this:

Gym Day:

gym 7.30am - 8.45am

9.00am - 4 weetabix - semi skimmed milk + banana

10.00am - tin of tuna + an orange

12.00pm - bag of popcorn

1.25pm - brown bread sandwich with coleslaw and ham + koka pack of noodles

3.00pm - apple

6.00pm - dinner: normally consists of veg, potatoes and then any 1 of the following: 2 pork chops, 2 chicken fillets, lasagne, or bolognese.

8.00pm - yoghurt/ toast.

The difference on a non gym day, is that I would have breakfast about 8.30 am.

Weekends are a bit different :might go for a run on the Saturday morning and have breakfast afterwards (Porridge and 2 rashers, and 2 sausages).

I'd head out once a week now, on the sauce, whereas before it would be 3times.

I hope by updating this regularly, it will give me the encouragement to keep at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Yesterday's diet

Breakfast:
    4 weetabix with semi skimmed milk

10.00am plum and an apple

11.30am tin of tuna

12.30pm bag of popcorn 30g

1.30pm brown bread roll with chicken breast and coleslaw and 2 slices of cheese, cup of semi skimmed milk

4.30pm an orange

6.30pm on chicken breast grilled, and loads of veg:carrots, cauiflower, and brocolli

8.30pm bowl of coco pops -with semi skimmed milk.

Went for a small walk last night 25mins.
    Was disappointed yesterday morning, slept it out for the gym. Made it this morning, but was aiming to get Monday and Tuesday in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Roddy

You're situation is very like mine! Best of luck.

Not sure about the rashers and sausages though - very high fat content in sausages and depends how you cook them too.

Also - the mince you use for bolognese and lasagne needs to be Round Steak mince (leanest). Pork chops not great - can be very fatty. Try more fish, tuna/cod and try vegetable chilli with lots of kidney beans.

Also - tomato based sauces are best - make your own. Tin of chopped tomatoes, some garlic, oregano, basil, mushrooms and you have a great sauce for chicken/pasta etc.
    S

Cheers for the comment Slumped. After reading your log ye provided me with some inspiration, so I decided to join the bandwagon.

Ye, rashers and sausages would be grilled, I don't eat fried food. Even still they wouldn't be a daily thing, after a long run on a Saturday I'd treat myself.

Wouldn't be a fan of kidney beans but all the rest, cheers.

Gym this morning:

Treadmill: 35mins 5.8km run
    Rowing Machine: 12mins: 2.5km
    Bike: 8mins: 4km

Weights:

Bench press last night: 4 x 50kg weights
    Dumbbells:no idea what the exercises are called - but by the end of about 15mins I was aching.

Weights this morning in the Gym:

Lat Pulldown 65kgs, 2 x10
    Chest Press 45kgs, 2 x 10
    Shoulder Press 35kgs, 2 x10.

I know I shouldn't be doing weights in the morning after doing them the night before, but tbh I didn't feel too tired this morning when doing them, not that I'll be doing this again.

Bad day at the office yesterday. Had about 4cans of tuborg watching the match yesterday, but was playing astro before that, so all my hard work went down the pan.

Diet was good yesterday, had my 5 servings of fruit and veg, a tin of tuna, and some pasta before it all went horribly wrong.

Tonight playing more astro so trying to do some exercise on a daily basis, get the fitness up.

Plan for the weekend, gym tomorrow morning, long run in the Phoenix Park on Saturday, and then take it easy Sunday, and hopefully back to the gym on Monday.

Haven't had a chance to post anything in the last few days.

Diet hasn't been the best but I have been exercising every day.

Played Astro last night, and again tonight. Did my long run in the Park on Monday - got soaked but was delighted, as I had increased my milage on the run the week before. Back to the Gym again tomorrow, and then again on Saturday. Am thinking about doing the 5mile run in Walkinstown on Sunday, so that'll probably mean a weekend off the drink.

My diet yesterday:

4 weetabix.

tin of tuna.

an orange and a banana

vegetable lasagne

bag of popcorn

pasta with tomatoes, and some beef from the weekend.

This morning I've had 4 weetabix, tin of tuna, and an orange.

• Advertisement

Haven't posted in a while. Went for my long run on Saturday, was wrecked after it. Went out on Saturday night kept mainly to the shorts, but still had one too many. Sunday was a day of recovery. I managed to get about 30mins of weights done last night. Went to the gym this morning, did 40mins on the treadmill - 6km, did about 2,500m on the rower, and about 5km on the bike.

Diet wise apart from heading out on Saturday night has been pretty good.

After the gym this morning, I had 4 weetabix. Then I managed to have a tin of tuna, and a bag of popcorn. I had two oranges. For lunch I had chicken soup and two slices of brown bread. This evening I had some chicken breast with veg. Hopefully going to make it down the gym again in the morning, and then I'll be back to the Astro on Wednesday and Thursday, with hopefully the long run on Saturday.

Diet Yesterday:

4 weetabix with skimmed milk
    tin of tuna
    an orange
    bag of popcorn

3 eggs boiled, and two slices of toasted linseed bread.

whipped out the auld chef hat and cooked up some spaghetti bolognese, with extra lean mince - lovely stuff.

yoghurt.

Went to the Gym yesterday, woke up and wasn't in the mood, but after a few mins, copped on, and got on with it.

lat pulldowns 2 x 12 of 70kg first, and then 65kgs.
    Chest press 2 x 10 of 35kg
    Leg extension 2 x 12 of 105kg

15mins on the rower.
    15mins on the crosstrainer
    20mins on the exercise bike

Playing football later tonight, and then again tomorrow, so won't be back in the gym till Friday.

Hey Roddy -

Read your journal again - come on man - kop on a bit!!

The old booze is not helping (shorts or otherwise)- it's not just the 250 calories in every pint - it's the effect alcohol has on your metabolism, and on the way your body functions.

It can take DAYS for this stuff to fully leave your system.

I'm down over a stone since my heaviest and I've basically left alcohol on the shelf.

Try a few non-alcoholic beers instead (becks is very nice) - lower in calories (around 100 per 330ml bottle) and NO alocohol to impair metabolism etc.

Look at my food diary and see what you can take from it.
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

slumped wrote:
    Try a few non-alcoholic beers instead (becks is very nice) - lower in calories (around 100 per 330ml bottle) and NO alocohol to impair metabolism etc.

I was bored in work the other day and i was looking at erdinger non alcoholic and its actually contains 0.4% alcohol.Isnt that interesting?

maxi-twist wrote:
    I was bored in work the other day and i was looking at erdinger non alcoholic and its actually contains 0.4% alcohol.Isnt that interesting?

Yes - they all have a little - but you would have to drink about 12 of them to have the same alcohol as 1 pint and you would not drink 12 bottles - believe me!

Your body can cope with a small amount like that without it affecting the liver etc.

Also - drink a few pints of water during the course of the night too - will fill you up so you dont drink as much and will flush out the liver etc.

S

• Advertisement

Went away last weekend, got back Sunday night, so didn't get to the gym.

Managed to go the gym on Monday and Tuesday mornings. Did the usual 5km on the treadmill, followed by the rower 3km, and then the bike. Also did my weights program on Monday night, and did a few squats, with some dumbbells - absolute killer, when I was finishing up - wrecked.

Wednesday - Champions league final so was down the pub, was driving so not drinking. Lads went the chipper after, but as I wasn't intoxicated, managed to get outta there, without getting anything. Its amazing as if I had a few pints I might have been tempted but without the drink it didn't appeal to me.

Last night was playing astro, and was wrecked again.

Diet wise I have been doing well this week. I am having a tin of tuna a day, and have been trying increase my protein intake, so that I am having some in every meal.

One thing, was wondering if I should start with the protein shakes, as I am going to the gym about three times a week, and am playing football on the other days. I wouldn't know too much about all this, other than I am getting tired, a lot more lately.

are you drinking at least 6 pints of water every day?

S

Yesterday:

Weetabix -3 with semi skimmed milk, and half a pint of semi skimmed milk to drink.

an orange and a banana.

two eggs, two slices of rye bread, with pine nuts, and a chicken breast.

went for a 5mile run after work, ended up walking a bit more than I would have wanted, but was shattered by the end.

came home and had a plate of lasagne.

all in all had about 3litres of water.

This morning, went to the gym, did 3km on the rower, 2.5km on the cross trainer, and 5km on the bike. Did chest press, 2 x 10 x 55kgs. Shoulder press 2 x 8 x 45kgs. Lat pull down 1 x 10 x 70kg, and 1 x 10 x 60kgs. Also leg extension, did 2 x 10 x 100kg.

Did some dumbbells, was only lifting 10kg weights, but could feel the burn.

Was away for the June Bank Holiday so tried to keep to the new regime as well as possible. Got back into the swing of things last Tuesday, and managed a 5mile run in the Phoenix Park on Tuesday evening. Wednesday and Thursday was astro and was in the gym again Friday morning. Managed another 5mile run, and also did the bike and rower for 10mins each.

Saturday, I just took it handy, but was back into it again yesterday. Not since the Bupa run have I attempted another 10km, but managed to get 10.5km done. The legs were a bit heavy from Friday, but they loosened up after about 35mins. Also did 10mins on the rower, and then played Astro last night again, and am going for another run this evening.

Starting to up the mileage now, after been fairly steady for the last few months.

Before I went away got my runners down in Amhpibian King. Trying to break them in at the minute, but for the first 10-15mins of my three previous runs, there has been a slight discomfort, after that though I seem to get use to them, I'm not too sure if this is normal as I am still breaking them in.

The last week's diet has been fairly good, and I am drinking about 3litres of water daily, so I am hopeful that with the increased training, and the lack of alcohol, that over the next month there will be some noticable differences.

Right Last week made it to the gym twice, and played astro twice also.

This week, Monday started in the gym, got 8km done and got about 30mins weights done.

Tuesday, got 5km done, 15mins cross trainer, and 12mins rower done.

Today, well today, got 5 teeth taken out, fupplin lovely, 4 wisdom teeth and another tooth. Going to have to rest up for a few days, and hope to back taking it easy in the gym come Wednesday. The 8km race in the Park, 7th july, will signal when the serious training begins for the Marathon. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Sorry about the dental situation man- yowch :eek: You're right to rest up; the body needs to direct its energy to healing up those wounds.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Before I went away got my runners down in Amhpibian King. Trying to break them in at the minute, but for the first 10-15mins of my three previous runs, there has been a slight discomfort, after that though I seem to get use to them, I'm not too sure if this is normal as I am still breaking them in.

I got new runners in AK as well, and for the first few weeks I thought they weren't great as I was still getting a sore foot after the 3 mile mark. But I haven't gotten the foot pain at all in recent memory and my knee niggle has vanished too....so don't give up on them yet!

Right since the operation it seems its all good in the hood.

I weighed myself last night and I'm down to an even 100kgs, I know I'm losing weight, and am happy enough with my steady progress. I think beer is a major factor in my loss, and I havent been able to have a few pints in a good while what with the operation. I'm also now drinking at least 2-3litre's of water a day, and I'm feeling healthier now than I have done in a long while.

Back to the logs.

Saturday: 30th June made it to the gym
    3k run, 15mins on the threadmill, 15mins on the crosstrainer, and did about 30mins weights, lat pulldowns, shoulder, chest press, leg inclines, and free weights.

Sunday: Astro -1hr.

Monday - rest

Tuesday - start of the training hopefully for the Marathon - 18weeks, doing the novice 1plan from Hal Highdon.
    so 5k run, 10mins on the rower, lat pulldowns, and the ab machine.

Wednesday - 5k run, 10mins on the rower, shoulder and chest press.

Diet has been pretty good last 3 weeks, I've managed to cut out bread, and now instead am eating a wrap. I used to snack on things like salami, or a slice of pastrami, but now am eating a yoghurt or an orange instead.

Have been having 4-5meals daily, and am actually starting to believe that I am heading towards a more healthy lifestyle.

Yeah the runners are fitting excellently now. I think I just had to break them in, and I haven't had any annoying pain in the legs for a good while now.

Saturday just gone, 10k run.
    Sunday and Monday were rest days.
    Tuesday 5k run.
    Today astro soccer.
    Thursday to do 5k
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - to do 7miles
    Sunday - gonna see about doing one hour of swimming, have been meaning to do it for ages, but have never actually stepped into the pool down the gym.

Diet has been good, except Saturday, was down at a gig, and got mouldy, as did my clothes.

Since last time, I have been following Hal Higdon's novice plan religously, was up in the Phoenix Park yesterday, did 5mile run in about 45mins, so making good progress. Was out last night, head a good few to drink, but didnt go for the auld kebab/late chips so not too bad. Have already done my crosstraining for today, and am playing Astro later.

Just on the Hal Higon plan, is it wise to make up for lost long run's? I'm going away in about 2 weeks, and will be travelling all day Saturday, and have been doing my long run on this day so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement