Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Veg Patch

Options
  • 29-04-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Quick question im making a veg patch in the garden.Now the thing is we live in the country side fields all round and good few bunny rabbits living about.Am i mad will they eat all my greens.What apart from fencing off the whole area can i do,iv plants started in plug from but will be a right kick if they all munched on the first night.how do others deal with this problem or is it a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

Fencing is the only option really. I had a massive problem in the past, no hope whatsoever of growing anything with large numbers of them around. This past winter I dug in a fence 1ft deep 3ft high all around the veg patch and there hasn't been a single rabbit in there this year and everthing is flying. It took me two days (maybe 3-4 hours a day)to dig the trench and put up the fence. My patch is about 50' x 20'. I used pressure treated timber posts at 12' intervals and 3' chicken wire with two rows of plain wire above it.

I have actually witnessed about 10 rabbits all trying to gain entry with no success.

It is essential to dig in the wire or else they will find a way in under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

sean_0 wrote:
    It is essential to dig in the wire or else they will find a way in under
    Also dig the wire underneath where they will be digging. That is part of the fence will be horizontally laid on the outside and dug in. They will go right up to vertical part of the fence and dig down, to get in underneath. If you have the horizonal part they'll hit the wire when they dig down and give up. They don't think to take a few steps back and dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would grow plenty of carrots, and when the carrots are ready for harvest so are the rabbits, get a shotgun license and a single barrel shotgun ~ €50 and you will have the ingredients for a first class rabbit casserole and all from your own back yard!

Advertisement