Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After A Year And A Half..

• 29-04-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

..Timans 360 has bitten the dust.

Playing a PES online match, Crashed, turned it off and back on again, 3 Red Lights.

Off and On again, Wouldn't get past the 360 intro screen,

Off an On again, read above.

Then, I got back into pes6, I just confirmed my team selection, Crashed -> Three Red Lights. Strangely enough, the exact same place as it crashed the first time.

Plug everything out, plug it back in. Same again.

Move the 360 from vertical to horizontal. Same again

Take out HDD, Same again.

It's out of Warranty, I'm in 5th year without a job. I won't have the cash to buy another for ages.

I had just bought Shenmue 2 to play on it as well.

:(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There are threads here saying that they have extended the warrenty to 2 years. Ring MS and see what they can do for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

That sucks man! Ive had mine for the same length of time as you if not more, i hope mine doesnt die either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why does everyone feel the need to start a thread when their 360 dies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

that's not necessarily the problem, I had one console with 3 red lights and took apart and no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Ciaran500 wrote:

Agree. Obits just should be sent to the newspapers as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

#Elites wrote:
    i know i know, but most of the time it was, in one case the heatsink was totaly fooked :eek:

but only take it apart if MS tell you its fully out of warrenty.

afaik they might tell you they will fix it for 100€? but the xbox must not be opened;)
    Yeah Elites, but I've heard that they're only refurb's and they just break again.

False Economy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Timans wrote:
    ..Timans 360 has bitten the dust.

Playing a PES online match, Crashed, turned it off and back on again, 3 Red Lights.

Then, I got back into pes6, I just confirmed my team selection, Crashed -> Three Red Lights. Strangely enough, the exact same place as it crashed the first time.

Plug everything out, plug it back in. Same again.

Move the 360 from vertical to horizontal. Same again

Take out HDD, Same again.

It's out of Warranty, I'm in 5th year without a job. I won't have the cash to buy another for ages.

I had just bought Shenmue 2 to play on it as well.

:(

Happened to me to, microsoft will do nothing for free after a year, they don't care what year your in and how broke you are! Just been through all this myself, its a real kick in the balls! €120 to get repaired, Its like paying €120 for something you already had, on the plus side you get another year warrenty after repair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Mine was repaired after a year for free, they never even mentioned charging me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Guys if they ask you for money after year one, ask to speak to a supervisor.

All 360's, launch or not, now have a two year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

exactly, remember that the people in the MS call centre are on the whole(and I am not exagerating, I had a long drawn out episode with them) idiots. Seriously don't beleive them if they try to charge you and if needs be call the head office in the UK and log a formal complaint if they are rude to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Regulars to gaming sites have probably heard enough of these (not hugely interesting) stories to last a console generation :D ... but some people are only just considering dipping their toe into the current gen and are still hungry for the information.

Microsoft claims that the failure rate is far below the consumer electronics industry average of 3-5% [Linky]. The number of people reporting their experience online does help get across the idea that perhaps MS are being somewhat conservative with their estimate.

That dubious claim would make me want to report a failed unit.

Just got off the phone to M$. They said my warranty is out but often in Ireland there is 2 year warranties. They said they're giving it to the supervisor to take a look at and will ring back tomorrow.

Gave me a reference number but tbh, I don't rate the chances of them ringing back.

Anyone had any experience with this? Should I ring tomorrow and give them the reference number or wait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Ring tomorrow, keep ringing until they tell you what you want to hear. Mine was over a year old and they are repairing it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

totally agree with Mr. K, keep ringing, and ringing and ringing, and most importantly get names of people you deal with (alot of people become alot more helpful when they think their name will be passed up the foodchain if they're doing a bad job). Keep note of what they say, dates, times etc. and if you're getting nowhere then contact the ODCA and the ECC. They will back you, although it shouldn't come to that

I am tempted to just bring it back to gamestop as it will save me waiting and having to mess around with the shower of ****.

Although, they might be just as hard to deal with. It's all a bit of a joke really. Everything is so hazy with the whole system.

Is it 2 yr, is it not? bleh.

I'll ring again tomorrow if they haven't phones by 8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Never wait for them to ring you.
    In fact, never accept them telling you that they will ring you back.
    I once waited 5 days for a call that was supposed to take 24 hours!!!:mad:

Afterwards, whenever MS have told me that a supervisor will "ring me back", I tell them that there's no need, as I'm not getting off the phone untill I speak to a supervisor.
    It always works.
    If they're being stubborn do as SaveMeJebus said and ask for their Name and ID no.
    Threatening legal action also helps.

I have just been told by another one that I cannot get it for free and they have never fixed any out of warranty consoles for free.

I told them I know people who had them fixed. No joy.

Do I ask for supervisor then? Will they agree?

Timans wrote:
    I have just been told by another one that I cannot get it for free and they have never fixed any out of warranty consoles for free.

I told them I know people who had them fixed. No joy.

Do I ask for supervisor then? Will they agree?

exact same thing happened to me, I've givin in and paid, never asked for supervisor tho!

Rang them again, Was more forceful. Nice-ish guy though tbf.

I asked for Supervisor multiple times but no joy, it is late though and they close at 10pm so I can understand.

He said I can expect a call from a supervisor tomorrow night though as they take a maximum of 48 hours and I was told yesterday I'd get the call.

If they don't ring tomorrow, I'm ringing and demanding I get to talk to a supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.thewildrovers.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3183&st=60&p=14485&#entry14485
    Have a look at the link above

If you fail to get a satisfactory solution ask the call centre MANAGER
    what name in MS you should put on your claim to the small claims court.
    As far as I can see you'd have a bloody good case as a machine that costs the
    price of the 360 should last for longer than yours has, therefore the machine is
    not of suitable quality or fit for the purpose intended. I'd be surprised if a judge
    would view it acceptable that you got less than 24 months for the price you paid..
    and at €9 to file a case you've nothing to loose.
    Plus it'll cost MS more than your €9 or the €120 repair fee to get their legal team
    on the case - it'd make sense for them to sort out your problem ASAP ;)

• Advertisement

Thank you very much Gran Hermano!

I will be telling them that exact thing tomorrow night. I appreciate it fully.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

No problems Timans, from what I know Microsoft outsource their Support
    to several different companies in Germany, Egypt and I think UK.
    So depending on which centre you get (and it's pot luck and down to the
    way they route calls) you may have different levels of difficulty but stick
    to your guns as MS have publicly admitted twice they are extending warranties
    for 360s in the US market, why should EMEA be different?

Do not wait for them to call you back, ring them straight away tomorrow.
    Say the wait is unacceptable, be polite and firm. Take notes of all your calls,
    time of calls, each persons name you talk to, ask them to spell it for you (tell
    them you're documenting all your dealings with MS in case you are not satisfied
    and choose to proceed with a court case) again be calm and polite and stress
    that you want to give MS every chance to rectify the situation amicably before
    you proceed to the small claims court.

Stress that paying €120 is not acceptable. They've already said they don't
    know whether its a 1 or 2 year warranty, they are obviously flexible and internal
    policies are not set in stone - you can capitalise on this.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on - promise me you won't cave in
    and pay the €120!

PS: I'm not saying you haven't been polite in your dealings, you sound as if
    you have - just dont give them any excuses and plus ranting does no one any
    favours!

Jules : I've heard of people on avforums and on the forum in my last post getting
    their €120 refunded after they paid... might be worth a shot!

Yeah, I'm not a very aggressive person by a long shot!

I am having a very hard time being assertive on the phone.

I actually said many times on the phone that "I am sorry, I'm not blaming YOU it's just I know people who have had their consoles refurb'd" and at the end of
    the convo I said "sorry if I've come across horrible but I am just trying to sort this out"

I don't want to come across horrible as I know that will only damage my chances.

I will ring and basically read that post by Noel on the other forum. I don't know whether I'll be able to ask their name and stuff though! I might be able to make myself do that!

Timans, check your PMs

Timans wrote:
    I am having a very hard time being assertive on the phone.

I actually said many times on the phone that "I am sorry, I'm not blaming YOU it's just I know people who have had their consoles refurb'd" and at the end of
    the convo I said "sorry if I've come across horrible but I am just trying to sort this out"

I don't want to come across horrible as I know that will only damage my chances.

I'm the same, I work in sales and have to deal with returns and stuff, so I know how it is when you have someone coming along with a serious attitude problem, and sometimes it makes you just want to tell them to f*** off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I had the same issues with them. Basically they were looking for me to pay to have the console repaired and I wouldn't budge. Ended up fixing the thing myself and saving €120:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Timans wrote:

This link gives more in-depth analysis of error codes:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

Mine has been failing to boot (from a cold start) for the past couple of days. I've found that if I leave it switched on for 5-10 minutes, with the 3 red lights flashing, that I can then reboot it and it comes up fine. I'm assuming that it's just some bad solder that expands to correct itself once the box warms up.

In any case, I'm bringing it back to the nice people in Virgin this week. It's only 5 months old and they said they'd replace it for me if I have the receipt or a Visa statement showing the purchase. Good customer service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

http://www.thewildrovers.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3183&st=60&p=14485&#entry14485
    Have a look at the link above

If you fail to get a satisfactory solution ask the call centre MANAGER
    what name in MS you should put on your claim to the small claims court.
    As far as I can see you'd have a bloody good case as a machine that costs the
    price of the 360 should last for longer than yours has, therefore the machine is
    not of suitable quality or fit for the purpose intended. I'd be surprised if a judge
    would view it acceptable that you got less than 24 months for the price you paid..
    and at €9 to file a case you've nothing to loose.
    Plus it'll cost MS more than your €9 or the €120 repair fee to get their legal team
    on the case - it'd make sense for them to sort out your problem ASAP ;)
    Very nice work Gran Hermano. The link doesn't seem to work though.

Strange, link was deffo working last night and I know that
    Timans was able to read it as well...

Edited: working fine again now @ 9.59 am

• Advertisement

Phoned twice tonight.

No luck, They will not put me through to a supervisor AT ALL.

I have said I know people who have been, said I'll just phone back (which I did, 5 mins later)

I won't be put through as they haven't got the "authority" to trasnfer me and I can expect the call in the next 48 hours (dé ja vu :rolleyes: )

Shall I just phone back and rant at the person instead of going to a supervisor?

Advertisement