Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After A Year And A Half..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sorry to hear you're getting the run around Timans.. it really looks like it's
    down to the luck of the draw as to which Support centre you get through to
    and the type of person you talk to. (I'v heard dealing with the Egyptian
    Call centre can be a complete mare compared to the German one)

Firstly, keep your calm.. as you've done so far ! ;)

Call back and and ask to speak to a supervisor/manager.
    Ask them what their escalation policy is and ask what their
    Service Level Agreement (SLA) is in resolving your problem.
    How long is it since your first contact with them? Are you
    waiting for an answer longer than the SLA?

You got to realise that they are working from a script
    as to what they can say and do - you are dealing with the
    lowest level of outsourced support!

Keep the chin up and dont give in yet!

Edited to add the following:
    You'll know you're on the right track when the start offering you a discount on the
    repair or free shipping.. keep insisting that you will lodge a small claims court case
    and ask the person you are talking to to spell their name as you will be including
    them and the conversation you are having as proof that not only did MS provide
    you with an item of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose you purchased
    for but they did not do everything in their power to help resolve your issue.
    Hell if the go past that they go past their SLA you have further proof that
    they failed in even trying to help you.

Play them at their game if it is a 48 hour SLA from the time you request to
    speak to a supervisor.. call them at 48 hours and 1 minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Great News!

I got through again and recited the stuff about Director of Consumer Affairs etc etc and the one said she'd put me through to the supervisor. Only problem was that there was none available.

At least I know have ammo to always get through to the supervisor as I have been told I can be put through.

I am getting the egyptian every time by the looks of it. Although, they're not nasty, just stubborn!

I'm getting further and further each time though!

I really hate seeing big corporations giving end users the run around.....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4753786&postcount=435
    looks like the 1st level support peons in the outsourced call centres
    can't do anything but stick to the script...

Ridiculous, isn't it?

I'm just about to phone up right now. Gonna give em more business terms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Timans wrote:
    I'm just about to phone up right now. Gonna give em more business terms!
    Yeah! Quote 'em business terms 'til they don't know what's what! :cool:

@ Gran Hermano - hmm.... that link works now for me too. :confused:

• Advertisement

I just got off the phone with the supervisor.

I told them a million times about all the laws and they started to tell me that the system they have will not allow them to process the order for a repair unless I give them my cc details and it will instantly debit the card. It says to enter the details as soon as they enter this command.

I told them I knew people personally who got it done for free even after the warranty was up. (which is a partial lie as I only know them through here) and they said if I get them a serial number of that persons console and it checks out, they would have given me a free repair right there and then.

I kept saying I know and understand what they are saying but I know people who've had it done, And quite simply, I know my stuff. I am entitled to what I am entitled to. I ended the call with reinstating that I shall be taking the matter to the smalls claim court and they said that's fine.

They're not backing down. I am at a complete loss right now.

Sounds like they can't deviate off their script.. poxy peons!
    I don't believe there is no one in the call centre who can over
    authorise a free refurb.Tell them to put in their own corporate
    credit card details and claim it back on expenses.

Timans you are not at a loss... you have given them ample opportunity
    to resolve the issue and provide you the service/product you have paid for.
    This will stand to you if you go to small claims court. Make sure you have a
    log of all your calls - people you spoke to, number of calls and duration of calls.

Time to call their bluff and fight your corner.
    Get your folks to have a look here and: to complete the online form
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court_application_form/

You have to realise the people you spoke to are not MS but
    outsourcers/contractors.

Total up the full amout you have invested in your 360 (all hardware,
    accessories and games, the bigger the figure the better)
    and put this down as the cost of the 'product'.

From the above link:
    "There is a fee of 9 euro for each application to the Small Claims Court."
    Timans, that's all you stand to loose.

"It is important to include the amount for which you are claiming. If the claim is not disputed, you may get judgement without having to go to court. Bear in mind that you can normally only claim the amount for which you are directly out of pocket, in other words, the amount you paid for the faulty goods and/or any cost involved in having them repaired. It is therefore a good idea to keep all receipts and documentation to show what these amounts are."

I'd be totally shocked if an Irish court would see your investment in MS to
    the guts of a grand should only last 18 months. MS probably won't even turn
    up to fight their corner.

I unfortunately don't have a log.

I have phoned about 5/6 times so far. That last call was about 24minutes long.

I am really angry at the moment as I thought this would work, I don't know whether to try the same again tomorrow night or what?

Won't saying I knew people personally come back to haunt me? And also, I don't actually know all this for a fact, I haven't contacted the Director of Consumer Affairs. I am just taking that Noel's guys word.

Ugh, So complicated.

http://www.nca.ie/rights_your_rights.html
    This is where the Noel chap on the other thread got his info from.
    Call them tomorrow: 1890 432 432 and inform them of the full details.
    Get their advice first hand.

Also call Microsoft on 1850 940 940
    and ask them who in Microsoft Ireland you should name on your form
    to the Small Claims Court. You might get a better result from someone
    in Dublin and Microsoft itself.
    They may have won the battle... doesn't mean you've lost the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Just buy a PS3. videotape yourself taking a slash on the xbox and setting fire to it, and email it to bill gates. :D

Ah i feel for ya tho, my xbox is going on the blink, and tob e honest rather than get the runaround like you are, i reckon when it dies ill just buy a core and put my hard drive into it and save the hassle :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote:
    Ah i feel for ya tho, my xbox is going on the blink, and tob e honest rather than get the runaround like you are, i reckon when it dies ill just buy a core and put my hard drive into it and save the hassle :rolleyes:
    ... because MS deserve extra money as a direct result of selling shoddy hardware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think my 360 is on the way out. Whenever i return to the dashboard from a game and the disc slows down i get a loud horrible grinding noise for a second. The discs are undamaged but it seems to be getting worse and recently test drive unlimited has started to crash displaying 'disc unreadable' as an error.

Anyone had this experience?

I wish it would just give up the ghost completely so i could get a replacement from gamestop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Its not meant to be making that noise, if its still in warrenty bring it back now before it goes on you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Im bricking it, getting an Xbox, heard so much about break downs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

You'll only jinx yourself by worrying about it.

I have heard loads of people on forums etc who had the 3 red lights etc but Ive never actually met someone with the problem.

All pot luck id say and maybe a little to do with heat/airflow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Julez wrote:
    Its not meant to be making that noise, if its still in warrenty bring it back now before it goes on you!!

Yeah but i'm guessing that if the console actually works they won't replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Fnz wrote:
    ... because MS deserve extra money as a direct result of selling shoddy hardware?
    Its 120 quid for a refurb, and you have to go through the hassle timans is going through right now if try to fight it. Refurbs have a habit of breaking down just as easily...i would rather spend a bit extra and get a band new machine, at least that way if it breaks, i can just return it to the shop and get a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah but i'm guessing that if the console actually works they won't replace it.

Tell them its scratching your games then.

0ubliette wrote:
    Its 120 quid for a refurb, and you have to go through the hassle timans is going through right now if try to fight it. Refurbs have a habit of breaking down just as easily...i would rather spend a bit extra and get a band new machine, at least that way if it breaks, i can just return it to the shop and get a new one
    Or free, if your willing to stand up for your rights as a consumer. Provided the unit has not been misused, I'd suggest giving the ODCA a call, telling them how much the Xbox 360 cost you and how long it has lasted - pointing out that there is a widely reported problem of the units failing due to overheating. :)

I'd imagine that they'd be willing to call the shop you bought it from if tell them you are unable to get the store to repair the unit - the seller, not the manufacturer, is always responsible to the consumer.

I reckon that it's reasonable to assume that a €400+ electronic item should last longer than 2 years to be considered "of merchantable quality" as required by the Sale of Goods Act.

Fnz wrote:
    Or free, if your willing to stand up for your rights as a consumer. Provided the unit has not been misused, I'd suggest giving the ODCA a call, telling them how much the Xbox 360 cost you and how long it has lasted - pointing out that there is a widely reported problem of the units failing due to overheating. :)

I'd imagine that they'd be willing to call the shop you bought it from if tell them you are unable to get the store to repair the unit - the seller, not the manufacturer, is always responsible to the consumer.

I reckon that it's reasonable to assume that a €400+ electronic item should last longer than 2 years to be considered "of merchantable quality" as required by the Sale of Goods Act.
    Exactly. The expected life span of the product has not been kept.

I told them all this but they are just not backing down!

• Advertisement

Timans wrote:
    Exactly. The expected life span of the product has not been kept.

I told them all this but they are just not backing down!
    Explain this to the OCDA. They might give the relevant party a call... you'd be giving them a opportunity to throw their weight around. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Slighty off topic but speaking of 360 problems, my one (which is my second as the first died with 3 red lights), is sratching my discs. Its put scratches on 5 out of 9 games.

Now its normally been very minor so it hasnt affected games so I havent looked to do anything about it, but its made a right old mess of my oblivion disc there and I just downloaded shivering isle...

Is this covered under warranty, have microsoft even acknowledged this issue as I know they were dening it for a long time.

Also what about the damaged discs, as the games cost a lot of money in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

That happened to by PS2 years ago, got a new one... Dont know anything to help tho sorry. But it should be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 doyler78

Hi,

I'm on my forth XBOX360 and each time I refused to accept a repair from Microsoft I spoke to a supervisor named Roman and he was more then helpful. I got a mint replacement from the store I bought it in each time. He was able to put a note on his login on the system and when the store rang it told them to give a replacement. Next time you ring you could ask for him. I think it was in the India call center as the first person I spoke to was Indian.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement