Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T. incollage

Options
  • 29-04-2007 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Are there any i.t. courses in collages/uni's that require physics for leaving?ive to decide my leaving subjcets this week,and want to cover myself

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Are there any i.t. courses in collages/uni's that require physics for leaving?ive to decide my leaving subjcets this week,and want to cover myself

I don't think that physics is a requirement for any college IT course . I believe that Honours Maths is a requirement for the Computer Science courses in UCD for example (this was a few years ago it may have changes) but the vast majority of IT courses have no special requirements with regard to subjects or grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

You don't need honours maths for CS in UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You need higher maths in TCD for CS.

Dor me it kinda makes sense to do higher maths and physics if you're interested in IT, they kinda go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a few that although you don't need them, if you did, the course would be a lot handier. What are you going for? If they include physics, ring the college and ask, as one course I did (thinking it was mainly computing) went heavy into physics and math theory. Thus, even though it may not be a requirement, if you think you'd do well, it may help you when you get into colllege.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Nehpets wrote:
    You don't need honours maths for CS in UCD

Mus have been TCD I was thinking of it been a while since I was filling out CAO forms :D.

Outside of some of the more theortical Computer Science courses you should not not encounter overtly difficult maths / physics, and a good pass maths student (A or Bs) ought be more that able for the Mathematical elements of most IT courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Some require a science subject. In this case, physics is probably your best choice as you'll probably be studying it as part of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

the_syco wrote:
    There's a few that although you don't need them, if you did, the course would be a lot handier. What are you going for? If they include physics, ring the college and ask, as one course I did (thinking it was mainly computing) went heavy into physics and math theory. Thus, even though it may not be a requirement, if you think you'd do well, it may help you when you get into colllege.

@ Syco, did you study the "Computer Networking" course in Carlow Institute of Technology?
    The course looked very Physics/maths related as alot of subjects like optics and Electronics etc were presented alongside other more traditional "computing subjects".

I reckon an ability for programming is more important than lots of math theory(although it really helps in area's like games algorithms/physics I guess).

I chose Physics as even though none of my computer courses require it, Including places like DIT,DCU,UCC for example, Its more relevant than stuff like History.
    Why are weightings not applied to Science subjects for Science courses, regardless of matriculation?

Advertisement