Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen chip/hairline cracking

Options
  • 29-04-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Anyone had the misfortune to need some windscreen repairs? Called the insurance company today to verify the steps I need to take, then called Autoglass to arrange appointment for repair.

The chip is no bigger than the width of a pen lid (where the stone made contact and took some glass out), and there is about 5 hairline cracks stemming from this area about 1" in length each. The whole area in question is no bigger than a €2 coin.

Would this be suitable for the resin repair? Will it be as noticeable afterwards? Am I better off with a new windscreen?

I'd rather not have to replace the windscreen as they are never the same afterwards IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mine had the same sorta thing last year (and has 2 minor cracks now again - bloody roads in Meath! :mad: ) and Autoglass tried the repair which only made it worse. In the end it cost me a new windscreen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ciarsd wrote:
    Hi folks,

Anyone had the misfortune to need some windscreen repairs? Called the insurance company today to verify the steps I need to take, then called Autoglass to arrange appointment for repair.

The chip is no bigger than the width of a pen lid (where the stone made contact and took some glass out), and there is about 5 hairline cracks stemming from this area about 1" in length each. The whole area in question is no bigger than a €2 coin.

Would this be suitable for the resin repair? Will it be as noticeable afterwards? Am I better off with a new windscreen?

I'd rather not have to replace the windscreen as they are never the same afterwards IMO.
    Sounds a bit big for the resin repair TBH. Also if it's directly in your field of view they won't do it anyway. One thing to do now is to put a sticker or a piece of sellotape or something over the crack to stop muck and filth getting in until you can get to them. This will increase the chances of them being able to fix it if they can.

As for replacement windscreens, I've had a good few windscreens replaced in my time including complicated ones .. one with a heated element and one with a rain sensor and you'd never notice the difference, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks for the info lads.

It's on the passenger side, in their field of vision. I've got some clear tape covering it since it happened. Should be sorted out tomorrow - I'm hoping for a quick fix with the resin repair having had a windscreen replaced in a previous car which suffered from wind noise afterwards :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i got mine replaced on friday.the chip was less than a 2 euro coin.when they ask you just say its a small scrack but getting big and they will bring a windscreen.thats what i did and i got a free one on friday and no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

Some insurance companies offer free windscreen cover.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote:
    Some insurance companies offer free windscreen cover.

Most of them do.Hibernian is really good.there were no questions asked and they offered next day replacement.Im really happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most full comprehensive insurance policies offer free windscreen replacement which doesn't affect your NCB.

bazz26 wrote:
    Most full comprehensive insurance policies offer free windscreen replacement which doesn't affect your NCB.

Yes, thats what i was told its usually for the full comprehensive customers.For third party you can add this feature as an option

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I got a chip in my windscreen repaired and it doesn't get rid of the damage,it just repairs the surface and stops any further cracks occurring.

Imo your better getting it replaced as it's not going to cost you anything and a repair is about 70 and it will still annoy you looking at the damage between the glass.

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Ended up with a replacement windscreen - couldn't fault the service out one day to assess, took details, ordered a replacement screen (which is bang on the exact same as the original as it happens) and was fitted exactly 7 days later (after a bank holiday weekend).

So far, so good. No trouble with wind noise like my previous experience. (touch wood).

• Advertisement
Advertisement