Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford v Kilkenny

• 29-04-2007 5:29pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Great match, Waterford well deserved to win it!!

Thought KK played poorly, considering they are a very good team!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 peveril13

never thought Id live long enough to see the day! waterford actually won something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

peveril13 wrote:
    never thought Id live long enough to see the day! waterford actually won something.

well we won the Munster Championship against Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Well done The Deise, a fantastic day for Waterford. Some great talent on the team, they done us proud! Well done lads! Hip hip Hooray!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

peveril13 wrote:

Dont be so jealous. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Sully wrote:
    Great match, Waterford well deserved to win it!!

Thought KK played poorly, considering they are a very good team!!
    i thought kilkenny played well. but i thought Waterford played better, "considering they are a very good team", are Waterford not a good team?????
    u are from Waterford arent u? it seems to me that u think we didnt deserve the win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

A great win and well deserved. Since I've viewed the Paul Flynn secret ball I've got upthedeise dot com in my head LOL

peveril13 wrote:

What's with the begrudgery? Anyone I know here in Waterford apart from Kilkenny people who live here were backing Cork whenever they've played Kilkenny.

One person even went as far as saying she'd sooner back England before Kilkenny on local radio last year when the show was debating which neighbour to back in the All Ireland final. I haven't heard any reports of ball tampering so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Delighted I made the trip to Thurles! I'm hoarse now. Terrific match, great performance, best result, and the Waterford support out-shouted the KK crowd.

Up the Déise! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Delighted for Waterford - hope they keep up the success in the Championship. They've been "nearly" for too long now. That's a genuine comment from a dedicated and loyal Wexford person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote:
    Delighted I made the trip to Thurles! I'm hoarse now. Terrific match, great performance, best result, and the Waterford support out-shouted the KK crowd.

Up the Déise! :D

Kilkenny only sing when there winning at anytime:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

paul666 wrote:
    i thought kilkenny played well. but i thought Waterford played better, "considering they are a very good team", are Waterford not a good team?????
    u are from Waterford arent u? it seems to me that u think we didnt deserve the win

Had a feeling someone would take umbrege to that.

I think Kilkenny are an excellent team when it comes to Hurling, and hard to beat.

Waterford were the better team in that match, as I said, and deserved to win that match without a doubt.

Waterford is a good team. Kilkenny is a good team. However, they are that bit better and harded to beat. Its pretty factual in fairness.

It wasnt "luck" or "fluke" that we won. It was because we were the better team today by far, and im supprised that Kilkenny played as poor as they did. I expected a tougher more action packed match, but, Waterford still deserved to win that. They were by far the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Waterford.JPG

It all stems down to this flag and what it means to us , I sat and watched this game from the throw in In Thurles , Waterford support out numbered Kilkenny by about 4-1 from where i sat , The emotions were high 44 years waiting for this , It might not mean alot to the cats but by god did it mean alot to us , Emotions ran high after the game behind me stood a man mare than 60 years old Crying in celebration for the Deise and i stood there Proud to be a Waterford Man ,

I go to all the Games and this was as good as winning a Munster Title to me , The support the Buzz the feeling , Every Point roared on by The Support which is always there through Thick and thin , We deserved this Victory over our rivals , But have no doubt the Cats will be better and more dangerous by this , What more do they need but a wake up Call before a championship and they will come out with all Guns Blazing

On our Day we can challenge anyone , Ken Mc Grath (Superb) Seamus Prendergast (Myman of the match) Paul Flynn (The difference ) Eoin mc grath (proved he should be in ) Eoin Kelly (as good as Shefflin from frees ) Moments like this are always Rememberred but they can be overshadowed hopefully by Winning the Championship , We only Proved today the team is right for once , Now go out and Prove it this summer

Well done lads for bringing home this NHL Title , I saw history today and hopefully it was only Warm up to the summer .....

"We are here to challenge this year ,and challenge we will "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good for Waterford, well done guys.
    No other team apart from KK I would like to see win in September;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

fair play to the lads in Blue, ye deserved it and looked the hungrier (and fitter & faster!). The cats will hopefully learn some things from this (that's the best way to deal with defeats).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 peveril13

I was actually delighted that waterford won yesterday, I in no way begrudged the win despite what others here have said.
    its good for the game to spread it about a bit.
    and long as they are not playing cork Ill shout for them, even when playing cork its about 75/25% cause Id love to see ye win an all ireland and think itd be a shame if this panel doesnt win at least 1.

That's good to know. I'm from Galway myself and would love to Waterford win the All Ireland.

After hearing all the reports on the radio how Waterford supporters returning from the match were spat at and had stones thrown at their cars with adults standing laughing at this when they were coming through Mooncoin is disgraceful, hell will freeze over before I'd ever support Kilkenny even though I've a Kilkenny brother in law.

Apart from the damage to the cars but to frighten children in the cars is unacceptable. They wouldn't like it if Waterford people threw stones at their cars when they come over the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

deisemum wrote:
    After hearing all the reports on the radio how Waterford supporters returning from the match were spat at and had stones thrown at their cars with adults standing laughing at this when they were coming through Mooncoin is disgraceful

Classy.

deisemum wrote:
    After hearing all the reports on the radio how Waterford supporters returning from the match were spat at and had stones thrown at their cars with adults standing laughing at this when they were coming through Mooncoin is disgraceful, hell will freeze over before I'd ever support Kilkenny even though I've a Kilkenny brother in law.

I didn't hear anything about this, but if it's as you say, then it's a fu€king disgrace. I sat in Thurles with KK people on my left and behind me, and it was all slagging and banter, but nobody stepped over the line. They just don't in GAA anyway... that sh1t's more reminiscent of the bad old days of Milwall v Chelsea.

Then again, Mooncoin is the sort of place where you can hear the vaguely sinister ring of banjos in the distance as you drive through (after sticking on the central locking and rolling up the windows). There are three colours there: black, amber and red (for their necks). Mullinavat (just to pick an example out of thin air) seems tolerant, liberal and open minded by comparison!

deisemum wrote:
    Apart from the damage to the cars but to frighten children in the cars is unacceptable. They wouldn't like it if Waterford people threw stones at their cars when they come over the bridge.

...which they no doubt do every morning on their way to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I am a Kilkenny girl, and I was in Thurles yesterday, and I must say well done to ye. No team deserved the cup than Waterford, and it was great to see how happy the supporters were. I shouted my lungs out for you all 2 weeks ago against Cork, even though all the Déise supporters around me booed Kilkenny when we beat Wexford. I dont bear grudges :) Anyway enjoy your win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

On newstalk after the match people where txting in complaining about the Waterford fans behind the goal booing the Kilkenny team during the warm up. BOOING!!!! lmao, its a national hurling league final against our arch enemies and suddenly we're not allowed BOO the opposition!?!?! Luis Figo has pigs heads thrown at him to take a corner against Barca, Everton fans throw coins at United during their match and we're criticized for BOOING!! Compared to teams round Europe, we're saints.

Btw when i was passing throw Mooncoin i did notice a few two fingered salutes from some kids but no coin throwing. Not surprised to hear it though

• Advertisement

deise59 wrote:
    ¸,«€º°°º€»,¸¸,«€º°°º€»,¸ ¸,«€º°°º WATERFORD ¸,«€º°°º€»,¸ ¸,«€º°°º€»,¸¸,«€º°°º€»,¸
    °º€»,¸ ¸,«€º°°º€»,¸ ¸,«€º° ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONS 2007º€»,¸ ¸,«€º°°º€»,¸ ¸,«€º°

Are you not getting slightly ahead of yourself there?

Mooncoin is full of knackers tbh. Waterford did give us a LOT of boos, so we returned the favour when Waterford came on the pitch and the Waterford women in front of me started screaching at me for having no respect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Had a similar experience several years ago, bunch of Wexford supporters returning from a Championship match through Graiguenamanagh. Stones, eggs, etc thrown at us. Bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

fricatus wrote:
    Are you not getting slightly ahead of yourself there?

lol dont worry. ive had that same signature since 2004. i just change the number at the end every year we get knocked out!

I've had the same experience in both Cork and Clare too. I was spat at in Cork city for wearing a Kilkenny jersey. And deise59, I wouldnt mind seeing you winning the All Ireland this year. If we werent to win it, I'd definately like to see Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hopcroft

The actions of a few idiots in Mooncoin has been given more importance than it deserves. What is more significant is the attitude of so many Waterford supporters who seem to be the scrapings of the alleyways of that town who boo the opposition and ape the thuggish and loutish behaviour of soccer supporters. The Gaa needs to clamp down on these gurriers or else we will end up having to segregate fans at matches. Don't think that Waterford is immune from mistreating the supporters of other counties. My parents used to live in Portlaw and were often abused for being Kilkenny supporters. Recently I was looking at a Cork website where the ordinary fans seem to have taken an intense dislike of Waterford because of the carry on of their fickle fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I was sitting in my local in slieverue, a Kilkenny pub, and after all the years of being disapointed it was just brilliant to win. Sweet sweet victory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

hopcroft wrote:
    What is more significant is the attitude of so many Waterford supporters who seem to be the scrapings of the alleyways of that town who boo the opposition and ape the thuggish and loutish behaviour of soccer supporters.

Oh do please expand on that. Loutish behaviour?

We rove through Mooncoin in my A Silver car which was seen on the news goin around the roundabout in Waterford , We saw no problems there

I do remember though a few Years ago drivin back from Croker after a horrible semi final Defeat to The Cats in the all Ireland Semi , We came through Mullnivat and came across a group of ****s Hurlin abuse and fingers up at passing cars , Of course i wanted to get the better of this so down came the flags and we circled back with a Dublin Reg .. back around we went as i got the lads to buy 2 2litre bottles of water in the shop , i had two empty paint buckets in the boot so we filled them up , Back window down and passenger window down as we approched i pulled in all innocent to the group who were still at it as we slowly approached , I pulled up to them and the Boys ****ed the two buckets of Water all over them , We just felt so fckin good after this , All our Depressing journey back had just been forgotten as we left the wet Cats in the Distance ....

Just taught i would share this one :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

hopcroft wrote:
    The actions of a few idiots in Mooncoin has been given more importance than it deserves. What is more significant is the attitude of so many Waterford supporters who seem to be the scrapings of the alleyways of that town who boo the opposition and ape the thuggish and loutish behaviour of soccer supporters. The Gaa needs to clamp down on these gurriers or else we will end up having to segregate fans at matches. Don't think that Waterford is immune from mistreating the supporters of other counties. My parents used to live in Portlaw and were often abused for being Kilkenny supporters. Recently I was looking at a Cork website where the ordinary fans seem to have taken an intense dislike of Waterford because of the carry on of their fickle fans.

This is a ridiculous statement , U are saying that in a stadium of 40,000 if the team is booed u want the culprits punished , Dont be so ridiculous u space cadet , Ok the whole stand boos killkenny on the Waterford side and what we issue fines ... or throw them out is it

If u have ever palyed sport it is part of the passion of the game Your team comes out u cheer there team comes out u booo and vice versa ... Obviously u do not get to many games where the emotions take over , If u describe a suppoter who boos at his bitter rivals a gurrier than u are no good for the Game as it is this passion that makes the atmosphere of each match ....

It would be different if the fans were throwin things or total abuse but this is in my opinion all in the good spirit of the game

deisemum wrote:
    That's good to know. I'm from Galway myself and would love to Waterford win the All Ireland.

Don't tarnish an entire county based on a handful of scum bags?? The louts who did this are not Kilkenny fans, they are just some low life scum, every county has them.

The best thing a KK fan could have done is wave at the deise cars driving past and congratulate them (or just stay in the pub)..but sure U will always have exceptions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Don't tarnish an entire county based on a handful of scum bags?? The louts who did this are not Kilkenny fans, they are just some low life scum, every county has them.
    The best thing a KK fan could have done is wave at the deise cars driving past and congratulate them (or just stay in the pub)..but sure U will always have exceptions!

Its unfortunate that the man who rang WLR had to endure a few local scum in Mooncoin but their everywhere.

I drive a Waterford reg car myself but in August & September would have a KK flag or two flying & on more than one occasion had stuff thrown at car. Lisduggan shopping centre is especially bad but thankfully most people can take sport for what it is (i.E. sport).

On a personal basis I'm glad to see hurling improving in Waterford City, my son hurls under age for the county, & I would imagine that having got over the loss on Sunday most KK folk would be happy enough for the Deise county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

once again a waterford thread morphs into a hate Kilkenny thread surprise surprise eh.:rolleyes:

once again a waterford thread morphs into a hate Kilkenny thread surprise surprise eh.:rolleyes:

I'm afraid I have to agree with this somewhat. There seems to be a natural sway towards it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Um.. people are talking about things that actually happened.

Since almost everyone in Waterford/Kilkenny seems to have had a bad experience with the other over the years, it is inevitable that some of it will come out. But again, like most other threads, nobody is slinging abuse for the sake of it, or at least I don't think so.

A hate thread would probably make mention of jews or Nazis or evil or genocide or lebensraum or concentration camps or some such rubbish, etc.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    A hate thread would probably make mention of jews or Nazis or evil or genocide or lebensraum or concentration camps or some such rubbish, etc.

no, only a foolish one would!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deise59 wrote:
    its a national hurling league final against our arch enemies and suddenly we're not allowed BOO the opposition!?!?!

You see this is the problem with Waterford alot of the time, Kilkenny doesn't see Waterford as a arch enemy, we don't see Wexford or Tipp as a enemy either.

Yes we don't like them when it comes to sport but at the end of the day Waterford people seem to have a mentality against Kilkenny people when it comes to almost everything, jobs, sport, land, government, roads...the list goes on.

Its sad really and I'v never even seen anything like it for all the years I lived in Kilkenny when it came to Waterford, Tipp or Wexford, infact I'd only ever hear things about Tipp and that was only in a sporting capacity.

Waterford people need to stop having this big massive **** off chip on their shoulder against Kilkenny, there's no need for it in fairness and it only leads to childish debates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

I drive a Waterford reg car myself but in August & September would have a KK flag or two flying & on more than one occasion had stuff thrown at car. Lisduggan shopping centre is especially bad but thankfully most people can take sport for what it is (i.E. sport).

Jesus, what a twisted sense of loyalty some people have. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

This is a ridiculous statement , U are saying that in a stadium of 40,000 if the team is booed u want the culprits punished , Dont be so ridiculous u space cadet , Ok the whole stand boos killkenny on the Waterford side and what we issue fines ... or throw them out is it

If u have ever palyed sport it is part of the passion of the game Your team comes out u cheer there team comes out u booo and vice versa ... Obviously u do not get to many games where the emotions take over , If u describe a suppoter who boos at his bitter rivals a gurrier than u are no good for the Game as it is this passion that makes the atmosphere of each match ....

It would be different if the fans were throwin things or total abuse but this is in my opinion all in the good spirit of the game

I have played hurling and football in Waterford for the last 20 years and as a result have met a lot of people through the game. In my experience the boo brigade rarely have ever played the game. I have been to games all over the country and the phenomenon of booing is not prevalent everywhere. Admittedly at this years Dublin v Tyrone in Croke Park the dubs booed the Tyrone team when they came onto the pitch. When the Dublin team came onto the pitch there was no booing from the Tyrone crowd. I for one would never boo a team entering a pitch as that team (and panel for that matter) have trained for months on end, made huge sacrifices and all for no pay - all for the pride in wearing the county jersey. I have the upmost respect for any player that dons the county jersey and makes the sacrifices that comes with the teritory. I always applaud both teams as they enter the pitch. I have spoken to friends about this and they are of the same opinion.

Passionate fans are what make the game but surely people can be passionate without booing the opposition because of......... because of what exactly?? ..... oh yeah because they booed us :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tonc76 wrote:
    I have played hurling and football in Waterford for the last 20 years and as a result have met a lot of people through the game. In my experience the boo brigade rarely have ever played the game. I have been to games all over the country and the phenomenon of booing is not prevalent everywhere. Admittedly at this years Dublin v Tyrone in Croke Park the dubs booed the Tyrone team when they came onto the pitch. When the Dublin team came onto the pitch there was no booing from the Tyrone crowd. I for one would never boo a team entering a pitch as that team (and panel for that matter) have trained for months on end, made huge sacrifices and all for no pay - all for the pride in wearing the county jersey. I have the upmost respect for any player that dons the county jersey and makes the sacrifices that comes with the teritory. I always applaud both teams as they enter the pitch. I have spoken to friends about this and they are of the same opinion.

Passionate fans are what make the game but surely people can be passionate without booing the opposition because of......... because of what exactly?? ..... oh yeah because they booed us :(

Nicely put, sport is fine but at the same time its not a excuse to start disrespecting people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ah for Christ sake...giving out about a few boos? It happens in all sporting events. The players are big enough, and are well used to it. It's all part of the atmosphere.

Booing during the match remember, not duting a minute's silence or something!

fade2black wrote:
    Ah for Christ sake...giving out about a few boos? It happens in all sporting events. The players are big enough, and are well used to it. It's all part of the atmosphere.

Booing during the match remember, not duting a minute's silence or something!

Just because it happens in all sports doesn't make it right. Think about it....picture yourself booing someone because they are not playing for the team that you support.... Do you not look stoopid????

My friend, I never look stupid. I'm the height of sophistication. You're the leader of the "think of the Children" brigade aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

fade2black wrote:
    My friend, I never look stupid. I'm the height of sophistication. You're the leader of the "think of the Children" brigade aren't you?
    As usual very funny and straight to the point!!!!!
    A friend of mine was given out too for using bad language at a hurling match one time.
    Keep the liitle ones at home if their easily offended!!!!!!!!

fade2black wrote:
    decies wrote:
    As usual very funny and straight to the point!!!!!
    A friend of mine was given out too for using bad language at a hurling match one time.
    Keep the liitle ones at home if their easily offended!!!!!!!!

I'm not coming from that angle at all - I just think the players from both teams should be shown respect from both sets of supporters.

Surely it's not that hard of a concept to follow :confused:

Respect is one thing but booing is part of the banter that happens at matches all over the world. I think you're being a little over sensitive.

fade2black wrote:
    Respect is one thing but booing is part of the banter that happens at matches all over the world. I think you're being a little over sensitive.

Would it not be fair to say that if you have respect for the players you won't boo them?

I'm not being over sensitive. I wouldn't boo someone who is going out on a field to do the best that he/she can for their county. That's my line - no needs for bells and whistles - that's it in a nutshell!!

I think all fans respect all players. They may not like them though. As long as they're not shouting torrents of abuse, or throwing things, I don't see the problem to be honest.

Booing is just not for me :)

And you're entitled to your opinion. I could see how constant booing would be a bit annoying mind you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement