Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlow-Kilkenny Election 2007

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm just after voting in Ballybough Street - the place was very busy and the road totally jammed with cars. Very different to last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I voted after 6pm in the Project school - hardly anyone there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote:
    I'll know who to blame if the Rainbow get in and don't complete the M9:D

But will an FF/Green alliance finish it either!? I'd be very sceptical...
    We all know it was nearly binned after the last election.
    I know it's great that it's underway finally, but still years behind schedule unfortunately. I won't believe it til I see the excuvators move onto site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

How are you feeling about the Exit poll mfitzy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Was in the city yesterday and couldn't help but notice a big black 07 Range Rover Sport with Vote John McGuinness No.1 all over it. For me it just typified the typical bankrollers of Fianna Fail big rich blingers from the construction industry. It certainty wouldn't encourage me to vote FF. I suppose what I'm trying to say to me it protrayed an air of arrogance....just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I voted at the KSP yesterday morning at 8:30 - Rainbow coalition got all of my preferences. I see know that the self righteous git McGuinness is topping the polls. HOW? WHY? Kilkenny and the rest of the country will get what they deserve if they allow FF in for another 5 years. Protest emigration ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

BingoBongo wrote:
    The current TDs don't seem to have done much for Kilkenny in there last term, still people are going elsewhere to do there shopping and the roads have'nt improved much only now are we getting the ring road extended!

Look for someone new now I think

And yet the Kilkenny people just voted these people back in. :rolleyes: Sometimes you get what you deserve in this world. You keep voting in people that do nothing for your county you don't deserve to get anything.

oilsheik wrote:
    Was in the city yesterday and couldn't help but notice a big black 07 Range Rover Sport with Vote John McGuinness No.1 all over it. For me it just typified the typical bankrollers of Fianna Fail big rich blingers from the construction industry. It certainty wouldn't encourage me to vote FF. I suppose what I'm trying to say to me it protrayed an air of arrogance....just my 2 cents.

In fairness to McGuinness, that's one of his own vehicles, rather than that of some filthy rich sponsor - he's wealthy enough himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

McGuinness and Alyward elected on first count.

• Advertisement

Bobby Aylward - FF - 11600
    Fergal Browne - FG - 4948
    Kathleen Funchion - SF - 2568
    Phil Hogan - FG - 8589
    Walter Lacey - PD - 1073
    John McGuinness - FF - 11635
    MJ Nolan - FF - 9037
    Michael O'Brien - LAB - 2923
    John Paul Phelan - FG - 6494
    Jim Townsend - LAB - 3401
    Mary White - GRN - 5386

(quota is 11276)

Looks like John Paul Phelan will cause an upset here!

It's kind of dissapointing guys, but hey, the people have spoken!
    Looks like 3FF/2 FG I think. I would never have predicted that.
    Looks like no minister for KK once again unfortunately. As somebody very wisely pointed out to McGuinness' Range Rover around town. It does typify the 'new money' of Ireland indeed. He cleaned up in the working class areas, took Labour votes allover the shop.
    Mary White didn't do the business. I think people in time of doubt cling to what they know and that was FF. Espec with such large personal debt people don't want to rock the boat. A lot of my friends and colleagues 'wanted change', but yet when it came to the crunch they voted FF!
    I think we deserve a ministry on returning 3 FF seats but won't hold my breath....

Mary White peaked too soon in the campaign.

Labour never had a hope with the two candidates they put out. The other BIG factor that went against Labour, is that they didn't have to fight the last election (with Pattison being returned automatically) so the edge was gone off their campaign this time around.

Wow. Where do I begin to analyse this one...

Firstly FF did brilliantly. they seem to have actually INCREASED their vote here!!! McGuinness et al clearly are working on the ground here, particularly in working class areas now. For Nolan to hold his seat; I never saw this coming!

FG very disappointing to see young gun Phelan pipped by White. I put it down to poor vote strategy; Hogan was too lazy/arrogant to split the area with the result he failed very badly to bring in a runnning mate. This should have repruccussions for him in the much enlarged FG party. His frontbench thing should be in trouble. All his own fault too... I'm going to work for Phelan from now I've decided. He got my no.1 and now with the PDs gone FG are totally on my wavelength regarding Liberal econcomics. I just would like them to be far less conservative from here on.

Any chance of a ministry for KK under this I wonder?? There should be with n3 FF seats.

I doubt it though... They're not going to give it to Aylward since its his first time elected as a TD, John McGuinness is too unpopular with the head honchos and MJ Nolan is, well, MJ Nolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

If FF go with the Greens, the White should be in with a shout for a Merc/ Sinclair C5:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Tough on John Paul Phelan after a great showing first time out losing out by just a few hundred votes.
    Hopefully White will now adapt a common sense approach to the much needed Waterford to Dublin motorway.
    Who knows we might also see a DART type service from Ballyhale & Mullinavat into Waterford & from Stoneryford & Danesfort into KK.

I honestly thought John Paul was going to shade it. Mary White's been plugging away at it for a while and deserves it.

As far as I know, McGuinness was promised a junior ministry at the last election if he brought in 3 seats for FF...which he did. He was majorly p*ssed off with the leadership when he wasn't promoted. He then proceeded to make noises within the party which have made him unpopular.

Bards wrote:
    If FF go with the Greens, the White should be in with a shout for a Merc/ Sinclair C5:D

I s Cullen in with a chance for a ministry? I presume his resounding success in Waterford was on the premis he would get one? Perhaps not transport though?

White may get a Junior. Who knows. FF might not even form a govt with them yet...She has a biofuel Bora already! A sinclar C5 might be pushing the bounds of possibility for around Mt. Leinster!

Tough on John Paul Phelan after a great showing first time out losing out by just a few hundred votes.
    Hopefully White will now adapt a common sense approach to the much needed Waterford to Dublin motorway.
    Who knows we might also see a DART type service from Ballyhale & Mullinavat into Waterford & from Stoneryford & Danesfort into KK.

I presume you mean an Arrow rail service between Waterford and KK? That is sorely needed alright.
    She better not f**k the N9 or else there will be hell to pay far as I'm concerned. The single biggest investment for KK's future by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

mfitzy wrote:
    I s Cullen in with a chance for a ministry? I presume his resounding success in Waterford was on the premis he would get one? Perhaps not transport though?

White may get a Junior. Who knows. FF might not even form a govt with them yet...She has a biofuel Bora already! A sinclar C5 might be pushing the bounds of possibility for around Mt. Leinster!

Cullen is almost certaintly assured of a Snr Ministery.. He has stated that he would like to remain in Transport. Personally I think he should stay until the Inter Urbans are completed, as a change in Ministers might loose the momentum that has been gained in Transport Infrastructure in recent years.

• Advertisement

An FG friend was telling me that FG got 30% of the vote here yet only returned 1 seat. Mary White got 8% and a seat!
    Serious questions will be asked of Phil Hogan he said as to why he managed the vote so very poorly. Especially when one looks at the three neighbouring 5-seater, Laois-Offaly, Wexford and Wicklow are returned 2 FG seats.
    He was protecting his own back apparently. I thought JP was a great candidate myself. Far better than that MJ Nolan anyway.
    Even had FG got in, it was likely Hogan's chance of a ministry had bombed thanks to his own selfishness and poor work at bringing in a running mate....It is a numbers game at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Running 3 FG people was a mistake tbh. Also with votes going along county lines JP didn't stand a chance as all the CW runners were eliminated and transfered to White. I agree that Hogan has questions to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I heard that Carlow - Kilkenny was the only constituency that Bertie didn't visit. Any truth in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He was in Carlow but ignored KK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm absolutely delighted that Mary White was elected.
    She is a genuinely hard-working politician with integrity. She came from nowhere into politics.
    I hope she has a good term in the Dail now. It would be good to see the Greens in government as an antidote to FF (although I'm not a Green supporter, more FG).

Anyone read the KK Voice yesterday? It was almost fanatical in it's praise of John McGuinn and how he's now in line for a ministry. I wish this were true, however we have heard it before... Perhaps if Bertie weren't leader. Now is the time for him to start delivering for KK on major infrastructure. While I dislike the man, the voters clearly see something I don't. I mean if someone like Dick Roche can be a minister, I see no reason why McGuinness can't be one.

Advertisement