Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betafair over UCD netword

Options
  • 29-04-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

Can anyone access betfair ovevr the library network in UCD. I was able to do it last week, but the markets wouldnt load anymore?? Anyone have similar problem??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Nothing is blocked per se on the internet in UCD. It may be though that the site uses a java or AJAX applet that tries to access a port other than 80 or 443. Anything else is firewalled off and will cause a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Any way to get around a site that is trying to access a different port?? For example all poker sites, but also online streaming from RTE or BBC (Football Snooker) ?/????

if the answer is yes its probably not a good idea to tell me with finals coming up but anyway.....

Short answer: no

Long answer: it's all to do with the way TCP/IP works and how port numbers and IP addresses get routed - just not possible here i'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Ah, well...

On the upside I think I just heard my Strategy mark go up by about 5%....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Football match streaming off rte.ie works on the lab down in lg3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I've noticed the same problem (markets wont load). This has only been happening in recent months, and I've spent many happy days on the exchanges when I should have been doing other things.

Anyway

If you click on the start menu, then 'network applications' (takes ages to load) then ..... 'internet and email' ....... then click on firefox.

Not sure why, but it's not working in IE anymore but firefox is fine. I've had problems with firefox connecting, but it's ok 90% of the time. I help run a betting site and forum, so do a lot of betting during the day - can I give it a plug? :)

Sometimes when firefox wont connect on one computer, I log off and try another and it often works. A bit annoying but it has to be done.

the firefox build is old as well, which is interesting.

what's even more telling is that computer services still recommend Netscape which is as obsolete as hell over firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I have avant browser downloaded too and use it sometimes. When downloading it, you need to save it to 'my documents' though, as you wont have access to the c drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The markets don't load but you can still play the exchange card games

There's a program called portable firefox that you can install completely on a USB disk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Red Alert wrote:
    There's a program called portable firefox that you can install completely on a USB disk.

No problems getting around the "you don't have administrator privileges needed to install new programs" box that pops up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I haven't installed it myself but you can install it at home and carry it around on your usb key so no problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

No problems getting around the "you don't have administrator privileges needed to install new programs" box that pops up?

someone has managed to install firefox portable were i work and they are extremely restrictive when it comes to computer privilidges and net access so id say ud be grand in college

no jim it should work perfectly for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but, is it actually possible to watch, for example, RTE programs on the UCD network? Just wondering if there are any settings I have to change to access it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Red Alert wrote: »
    You can also install it to your personal space (drive H:), for much better performance. You can even install add-ons like Foxmarks or NoScript, and it's all stored in that one place, accessible from any UCD PC.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

That's exactly the way I'd set it up when I was in undergrad!

Advertisement