Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Guidance for first time voters.

Options
  • 29-04-2007 7:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this thread already exist, the search function wont work in Safari for some reason!

I thought I had registered to vote, but checked online and it doesnt seem so. So I have the forms and they'll be in the post after a gaurd signs them tomorrow.

However, I am looking for unbias (hard to come by I am sure) advice as to where to send my votes... I am 20 and this is the first time I'll be voting and I would really like to feel confident in it.

I know I dont want to keep the current government in, and I dont have much faith in Enda and his boyos. That leaves SF, Greens, Independants and Labour. (Right!?) But any opinions or good sites or places of reference that you kind folks could point out would be much appreciated.

<3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If i were you i'd find out who's running in your local constituency, and find out how their views match to yours, what their specific plans for your local area are, etc. These are the things they're most likely to stick to, as they're close to the coal face, as it were. With national plans, the buck can be passed rather easily, but if your local candidate insists they'll do something, you can usually confront them about it face to face if they fail to do so.
    You'll most likely get loads of leaflets from the candidates outlining all of this.

As for the parties themselves, their websites should outline their manifestos, obviously take them with a pinch of salt, but it should give a good idea of where they stand, broadly, on issues that matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I am not going to tell you who to vote for but what I suggest is read the policies of each of the parties. If you have areas of concern email the candidates in your area and ask them where they stand. If one of them knocks on your door or they're in the street kissing babies whatever be prepared with a few questions.

Advertisement