Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accord 98 2.0 ES Advice/Opinions please

Options
  • 29-04-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of buying above in England. It's the 'new' 98 model. Saloon.

105K miles, FSH, Auto/Tiptronic, lthr, heated seats, cruise, climate, esr rcl ew em alloys, bose, fogs.

Any obs or things to check would be appreciated.

Not your ornery onager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Last October I brought in a 1998 Accord 2.0i ES Coupe, with 47k miles on the clock. The Accord (all forms) was a very good seller in the UK, and you should have little problem finding one with half the mileage. It will greatly help resale value later on, and will make no difference to the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Interesting point on the mileage aspect, thanks. I will be doing about 6K miles per year, and plan to keep the car for 3 or 4 years at least.

I will look again to see how much more an equivalent car with relatively low miles would cost.

[edit] a fair bit more! The one I'm going for has FSH though.

Not your ornery onager

Anyone else got any advice for me, please?

Not your ornery onager

How much are you paying? I paid £2,600.
    Incl VRT & transport it came to €4,700.

Asking £1800, VRT €451.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Mm, ok, that's quite a bit less, and the revenue value it quite a bit lower too. My VRT was 700.

- Usual UK import stuff: FSH, MOT, HPI etc.
    - Usual 2nd hand cars stuff. Has it been crashed.. misaligned panels, different colour/finish on paintwork, tho it's common enough for front bumper and bonnets to be sprayed for stone chipping in the UK. Getting silver paint to match is near impossible.
    - Timing belt. Should have been done at 72k or 8 years, iirc.
    - Should be on its 2nd exchaust by now. If not it'll need one soon. Pricey enough.
    - If it's from a city rust can be a problem, especially rear wheel arches and stuff in the engine bay, like engine mounts. Front brake lines and springs too.
    - CV joints.
    - Sluggishness/hesitation when accelerating at around 2000rpm. Can mean a new coil (or ignitor) needed. Integral to the distributor. Pricey.
    - At that mileage it's likely the driver's seat bolster is torn. A weak point in Honda leather seats.

Nice if it has the optional Bose sound system.

No trailing arm main bushes in that car, so no worries there. Nothing to worry about with electrics either, but just make sure everything works.

Make sure you get at least 2 keys and the remote central locking fob.

Advertisement