Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting.

Options
  • 29-04-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Why are our polling rates so low in elections ? What can be done to get people to vote in bigger numbers ? I do not like the deliberate non-voters who go to the front of the complaining queue after every election.....

Is there any value in having voting over the two days of a weekend ? Everything else seems to be happening at the weekends these days so it should not be too much trouble.

Also, what do you think of people who spoil their votes deliberately as a protest ? Personally, I think that this is a shameful practice. If you really do not like certain candidates or parties surely the thing to do is to cast a single first preference (plumper ?) for a no-hoper. I think that some people wanted the option to register a spoiled vote when we tried e-voting !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I would think that every effort should be made to make voting as simple and convenient as possible. Having it over the weekend would probably be a good idea.

As for people who spoil their votes, I understand why they do it, but I see it as a waste to be honest. At the end of the day it's not going to make other (more desirable) people stand for election, and it's not going to prevent any of the other (less desirable) people from getting elected. By not engaging with the process, you are simply letting everyone else choose the government. It's a principled action but really irrelevent. Your vote gets thrown in with the people who don't know how to vote.

I think it's more pragmatic to vote for the least worst option. At least you're doing your part to stop the worst option from being elected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

definately value in voting the 2 days over the weekend but read the other thread for reasons on why this will never happen.

I personally think we should be allowed express dissatisfaction with all candidates running w/o spoiling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah a "none of the above" option would have some merit for the sake of protest. But I still would rather vote for the lesser of the evils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

DaveMcG wrote:
    Yeah a "none of the above" option would have some merit for the sake of protest. But I still would rather vote for the lesser of the evils.

Is there any precedent for this? I don't see how it would affect who gets into office, unless there were enough votes to get "none of the above" first past the post. In which case it still doesn't help us pick a better candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

UrbanFox wrote:
    Why are our polling rates so low in elections ? What can be done to get people to vote in bigger numbers ? I do not like the deliberate non-voters who go to the front of the complaining queue after every election.....
    its kinda vicious circle here, cause when want something done the go to the representitave ,who was elected when they didnt even vote , . the td/counciller looks at the list of voters on last election and sees johhny didnt vote and does f all. so johhny gets annoyed and says"why should i vote they'll do nothing for me anyhow" and round we go!:(

Is there any value in having voting over the two days of a weekend ? Everything else seems to be happening at the weekends these days so it should not be too much trouble.
    no need with small voting poulation more expensive, although election should be on sat or sun

Also, what do you think of people who spoil their votes deliberately as a protest ? Personally, I think that this is a shameful practice. If you really do not like certain candidates or parties surely the thing to do is to cast a single first preference (plumper ?) for a no-hoper. thats what im going to do (voted ff in all prevous elections) I think that some people wanted the option to register a spoiled vote when we tried e-voting !![/QUOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

One reason our voting numbers are low may lie in the register itself. It appears that those charged with keeping the register up to date have been somewhat reticent in removing names from the register without the person themselves remembering to make sure they're never down in two places at once. Now, as long as parties haven't been utilising this fact to cast votes for other people, then it would have the effect of making it seem like people aren't turning up to vote. Certain sections of society, for example students, could be on the register as living in three or four different places, as their parents may put them on at home, and they get their name on at a couple of flats they stay in over their student life. The more this occurs, the wider the base when it comes to dividing the cast vote number by the eligible voter number.

As for the suggestion above that to spoil ones vote you should vote for a no hoper, remember that you're voting for a person to be your representative. If they're a no hoper then they shouldn't be representing you, but if enough people think they can 'waste' their vote in that persons pile they may get elected. If you're choosing a candidate to vote for, I think you should just go for the easy option and vote for the candidate you most prefer. In your eyes that person can be brilliant or just the best of a bad lot, but it's not a good idea to want candidate A to get elected over all others, and yet give your vote to candidate Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

In UCD we have "Re-Open Nominations" as a candidate in our main elections. Basically it's treated like a candidate + nominations are re-opened if it wins!

Granted it'd probably win a seat or 2 in a general election + make things even more expensive + complicated!

Advertisement