Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Voter registration questions answered here (if we can)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I just rang the Cork County Council there and she put something by my name which'll mean I won't be sent out a polling card for Cork. She was a very nice lady I must say, asking me to make sure I was registered up here in the big smoke :)

Now anyone care to tell me how I find out who'll be on my polling card so I can make an informed decision when I do go to vote.

Thanks,
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mycandidate.ie will show you the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Hi there is another form for registering to vote, the one above is change of address. Though the otherone is also on www.citizensinformation.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks brianthebard, just what I was looking for and way cleaner to read than some of the other stuff out there.

A

Tristrame, may I suggest a small spam campaign to get your sig spread across a few forums? Or would that be a bit naughty? Obviously its also against Sig rules, perhaps you could ask for a one day exemption?
    Vexorg kindly facilitated a site wide announcement at the top of every forum.

• Advertisement

Saw that, great idea. I doubt the government are trying to get this information out there, so boards must play its part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Tristrame wrote:
    You go onto whats called the supplementary register.

The president of USI was on Ray Darcy on today fm this morning saying that the closing date for this is tomorrow so you MUST download the correct form now and get it stamped at a garda station and either swift post it to your co council or hand it in before they close tomorrow.

I'm putting a link to this in my sig for now -those that want further details can read the whole thread especially pages 1 and 2 I think.

Just contacted my local council re supplemental register. The May 1st deadline only applies for postal voting. The rest of us have UNTIL FRIDAY to be added to the register!! There's still time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Wisheress wrote:
    Just contacted my local council re supplemental register. The May 1st deadline only applies for postal voting. The rest of us have UNTIL FRIDAY to be added to the register!! There's still time!

The form says 14 days before the election...

Does anyone know for sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I called Kildare county council myself.

Postal votes have until today.(End of Business)

Supplemental register has until Friday.(End of Busines)

Changge of address if you are in the same locality.Forget about it, You dont need the polling card, just ID.

Agent J wrote:
    Supplemental register has until Friday.(End of Busines)

Changge of address if you are in the same locality.Forget about it, You dont need the polling card, just ID.
    Well now that is confusing

labour say what was on the Darcy show 15 working days which is today
    http://www.labour.ie/registertovote/

clare co council

14 working days before polling day
    You can apply for inclusion on the Supplemental Register at least 14 working days, excluding weekends, before polling day.
    http://www.clare.ie/Democracy/electoralregister.html#Supplement

That would mean yesterday

and here http://www.vote.ie/content/view/8/15/

The Closing Date for receipt of Applications for the Supplement to the Register of Electorsis 15 working days before the Election and is published in local and National Newspapers in the run up to any Election and/or Referendum.

Everything suggests today is the closing date.

I wouldnt put it off anyone that can do it today because really and truly I wouldnt like to be relying on a phone call if the law says today-your vote might be disallowed when you turn up and you wouldnt want that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

You have until this Saturday to hand in any changes or supplementaries by hand according to the nice lady in Dublin City Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The same for Fingal as long as they have the forum in the office by close of business friday the 4th of may.

If you are in the blanchardstown area you can pick the change of address forum or the supplement forum if you were left off the register in the last shuffle or you have never been on the register from the blanchardstown library in the shopping centre.

Once the forum is filled in and stamped at that garda station they will accept hand deliveries at the Fingal blanchardtown offices which are behind the lisure plex.

Hand it in at the desk they will stamp it as recieved and send it via internal
    mail to swords which will arrive the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The Kildare RFA3 (application for inclusion in suppliment / change of address) form states (Note 6) :
    RFA3 wrote:
    If you are applying after an election or referendum has been called, please note that the application must reach the City or County Council concerned before the Fourteenth day (Sundays, public holidays and Good Friday excluded) before polling day in order to be considered for inclusion in the supplement for that election or referendum. Late applications will not be processed until after polling day
    which would mean that, given the election is on Thursday 24th, the woman from Kildare Co.Co. who said Friday was ok was possibly being a bit conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

What section/department of Dublin City Council should applications be addressed to does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

What section/department of Dublin City Council should applications be addressed to does anyone know?

I sent my RFa2 form in today to get on the supplimental register - confirmed you have until end of business Friday. The address should be at the top left hand corner of the form you get in the garda station.

Address is

Dublin City Council
    Franchise Section
    16/19 Wellington Quay
    Dublin 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

The information in the sitewide notice needs to be updated ASAP. The official closing date for the supplementary register (as notified in ads published in all national newspapers today) is SATURDAY 5TH MAY. Some authorities will accept forms that are faxed on Saturday, or even received on Monday, but there's no obligation to do this so best to check that for yourself.

The advice that certain organisations are giving may not be 100% accurate (I've contacted who I know to get them to update). Please rely on the Dept. of Environment's official advertisements, and the provisions of the Electoral Act instead.

(Aside: I spoke on Today FM this evening to explain the system, just in case any of yiz heard me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thanks for the update xeduCat - announcement updated.

yes thank you xeducat.
    I did not see any of todays newspaper advertisements.

I'm quite annoyed at the misinformation myself available on a widespread basis on political party sites and EVEN on the governments own local authority sites and wait for it here aswell.

Time to use the Mad icons :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've just been on to the franchise department of wicklow co council and they say the closing date is saturday 5th may and were adamant about that but that I was to ring on friday to know what the opening arrangements for saturday are.

They are still talking about what to do...

My advice to anyone is if you want to vote - fill in the form now,get it stamped and if possible hand it in personally to the franchise dept of your local authority.
    Absolutely do not leave it to the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

On Monday I checked on the citizens information website to check the closing date for registering for postal vote and it said the date had already passed - now i see that i actually had until yesterday. :mad:

Rang my county council to confirm and the closing date was yesterday. I know I probably should have checked there 1st but i would have thought that citizens information would have the correct information - hardly too much to ask *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

If you move from one county to another do you send the RFA form to your new County or your old one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

To the new one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Dublin City Council
    Franchise Section
    16/19 Wellington Quay
    Dublin 2
    you can hand deliver to here no problem - i did so this morning. the garda station stamp was barely visible - "ah, shur that hardly matters much".

The franchise department of Wicklow co co. at county Buildings on the Dublin rd in Wicklow (just on the Rathnew side of Tesco) will be open on saturday from 9am to 5pm to accept forms for entry onto the register.
    Yes thats saturday tomorrow-so anyone who is say down this evening or tomorrow and normally in Dublin for college or whatever has a chance to go to their Garda station get the form stamped and hand it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I very much want to vote this year but will be in Australia on the 24th. Is there any way at all I would be eligible for a postal vote? From what I can tell I just won't be able to vote, but thought someone here might have more information.

no unless you change your plans.
    The closing date for postal voter registration was last tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

In the Franchise Dept in Cork City Hall (the new building!) they will accept completed RFA2 forms up to 12 midday next Tuesday (this is due to it being a Bank Holiday weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Lo all,

I'm going to be out of the Country during the election and dont want my vote to be wasted. Are there provisions made that will facilitate myself and others in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

No - there is a postal voting option for people who will be away from home within Ireland, but you have missed the deadline for that anyway.

Your only option is to find a friend who is not bothered about voting and convice them to vote for the candidate of you choice- That might sound daft but there is a huge proportion of the population who don't vote so you might be able to convice someone.
    For the Political Parties getting their suporters to actually turn up at the polling booths is as big a problem as convincing them that they are the correct party to vote for!!!

• Advertisement

is it possible to check if someone was put on the supplemental register? My sisters had forms filled in and everything for them (against my advice, they should have done it themselves, etc,etc.) but I don't know if it was done in time. How long do you have to wait for the names to be added?

Advertisement