Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Voter registration questions answered here (if we can)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd also be interested in brianthebard's question above - filled in the forms a few weeks ago and posted them off (e.g. should have been plenty of time.) Do we just have to wait and see if polling cards arrive?

is it possible to check if someone was put on the supplemental register? My sisters had forms filled in and everything for them (against my advice, they should have done it themselves, etc,etc.) but I don't know if it was done in time. How long do you have to wait for the names to be added?
    I handed in the form for my sister yesterday and they stamped it received with yesterdays date and added her name to the supplementary register on a pc as I stood there watching.
    They told me that the polling cards for those newly added would come out a week later than those already on the register.
    There was no receipt given.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Quick question :

Name mispelled on register... .i know should have checked before now, only notice when a few election leaflets came through with incorrect name...

will it be ok (persuming you have voting card) ? or will they go ryanair on you ?

name is two letters off , but makes a different name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

jhegarty wrote:
    Quick question :

Name mispelled on register... .i know should have checked before now, only notice when a few election leaflets came through with incorrect name...

will it be ok (persuming you have voting card) ? or will they go ryanair on you ?

name is two letters off , but makes a different name....

Phone them (the council). My sister's name is 5 letters short and her address is wrong but she was told by the council that the register would be annotated and that even though her name was wrong on the polling card, the people in the polling station would know her right name, They think the extra word on the address won't stop the polling card getting to her. Only time will tell on both counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i've just found out that i have to go away on the 24th, my flight is early so have to be in the airport by 6am, and won't be back til the saturday. Does anyone know if there is any way at all that i can vote? or am i just stuck?

• Advertisement

Mewzel wrote:
    i've just found out that i have to go away on the 24th, my flight is early so have to be in the airport by 6am, and won't be back til the saturday. Does anyone know if there is any way at all that i can vote? or am i just stuck?

Nope - you'll miss your chance I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

I applied for a postal vote on the basis that I'm going to be abroad on business the entire week of the election - does this mean I will not be entitled to the postal vote? I wasn't until now aware that there was a restriction on being within Ireland to obtain the postal vote (otherwise I would have amended by postal application for appropriately).

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

How many people here have two votes?

It's still illegal to vote more than once though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 naturalglow

Hi,

Excuse me for sounding dumb with this post. Could someone explain if there are, for example, five seats up for grabs in an electoral region but a party is only running 3 candidates do you just vote 1, 2, 3 and that's it or can you vote 1, 2, 3 for your candidates and then pick two others from different parties or does this constitute a spoilt vote? Can't find anything on this anywhere?

Thanks

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Yes, you can vote any way you like. The party they belong to is irrelevant.

In our system (proportional representation by single transferrable vote) you vote for the candidate, not the party. So you can vote 1,2,3,... for candidates in whatever order you wish (e.g. you are perfectly free to vote Joe Bloggs (FG) No. 1, Jim Murphy (FF) No. 2, Mary Delaney (FG) No. 3.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I put in my forms 7 weeks ago for the supplemental register but still have not had any word from Dublin City Council? Did anybody get anything yet? Done checktheregister.ie and Im not there either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Miss Judy

Guys, we just moved into our new house but still living in the same county. We were registered to vote at our previous address which we were renting and have no access to now so it's most likely our polling cards are there?.

I always vote and would be very dissapointed if I can't due to moving house. We just moved out of one town and to another one 30 minutes away in the same county and the same candidates.

Does anyone know what we can do about this?. I rang Wicklow Co Co and still no form arrived in the post.

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to use my single transferable vote on all candidates?
    Lets say its a 3 seater, with 50 candidates

Of course I know who is getting 1,2,3, but can I continue up to 50 or does the form only have as many boxes as there are seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

jjbrien wrote:
    I put in my forms 7 weeks ago for the supplemental register but still have not had any word from Dublin City Council? Did anybody get anything yet? Done checktheregister.ie and Im not there either?

You should be, my sisters did the same thing, but later than you and are on it now. Are you sure the address you put in and the address you registered under are the same? Just a thought because apart from something like that being wrong I would ring the city council asap.

vector wrote:
    Is it possible to use my single transferable vote on all candidates?
    Lets say its a 3 seater, with 50 candidates

Of course I know who is getting 1,2,3, but can I continue up to 50 or does the form only have as many boxes as there are seats
    yes of course.
    You can use your vote 123456789,10,11,12,13, etc right to the end of the ballot.

Now what happens to your vote depends on who you vote for.

For example if your first preference candidate ends up taking the 4th seat in say a 4 seater, your vote will have been counted once and it will stay in his/her pile.Your other preferences will be ignored untill your candidate is elected.
    Your 2nd preference may be counted if there is a 5th seat to be filled.

If you vote no1 for a candidate that is unlikely to be elected then your vote is added to whoever you voted no 2 when your no 1 candidate is eliminated.
    If your no 2 candidate is eliminated and they are still filling seats then your no 3 will be used when your no 2 candidate is eliminated.

So in our voting situation a vote for a small candidate is not wasted as long as you give your no 2 and 3 and 4 etc to others.
    Your vote will still come into play for them unless say your no 2 preference has been elected-in which case afaik it's non transferable.

My best advice to voters is to vote 1 2 and 3 or 4 in order of the candidates they most want elected and then use the other numbers to vote for the rest in order of the candidate you dont want elected last (ie if there are 16 on the list give them no 16 etc)

The other thing to think about is tactical voting.
    Maybe you think that the person you want elected will have a big vote and will get in on the first count.
    If you think that, then you would be aswell to vote no 1 for the weakest of the candidates that you would most like to get in.

thanks Tristrame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

Does anyone know when you get your polling card if your on the supplementary register? I registered a week before the final day and have had o correspondance from the council as to whether im on it

• Advertisement

it's all computerised so just ring the franchise section of your local co co and they will tell you if you were sucessfully added.
    If you are on it and don't have a polling card ,just bring id with you to the polling station and you will be fine.

Some who were added at the last minute to the supplimentary may get their cards later than those already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bget

Can you tell me why the deadline for applying to vote by post came around so quickly. I'm a student teacher and will be in the middle of my finals for the election and resent the fact that i cant have a say in who will be running the country for teh next five years. By the time i had found out how to apply to vote by post the deadline was gone by. People were only given two days.

I can't answer that,it has nothing to do with me :o

It is unfortunate.
    That said, it's not as if we didnt know for the last 6 months or more that there would be an election round about now-so it's like all things left to the last minute-sometimes you lose out and you yourself could easily have investigated this in time to be honest.

Incidently there absolutely had to be a closing date for postal voting within a workable timeframe from the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think that's a bit unfair Tristrame, while we knew there was an election coming we didn't know if we needed a postal vote or not. People could be forgiven for thinking the Taoiseach might try to be as inclusive as possible but that didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Your Man wrote:
    Does anyone know when you get your polling card if your on the supplementary register? I registered a week before the final day and have had o correspondance from the council as to whether im on it

I got my form in on the final day before the deadline for the supplementary register and I got my polling card today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 naturalglow

blorg wrote:
    In our system (proportional representation by single transferrable vote) you vote for the candidate, not the party. So you can vote 1,2,3,... for candidates in whatever order you wish (e.g. you are perfectly free to vote Joe Bloggs (FG) No. 1, Jim Murphy (FF) No. 2, Mary Delaney (FG) No. 3.)

Thanks very much - makes more sense now!

One last thing. If Single Transferable Vote is supposed to cut down on spoilt votes what else constitutes a spoilt vote??

Thanks very much - makes more sense now!

One last thing. If Single Transferable Vote is supposed to cut down on spoilt votes what else constitutes a spoilt vote??
    STV has nothing to do with cutting down on spoilt votes (invalid votes) as such but rather does have the effect that you can vote for whoever you like without feeling that you have cast a "wasted vote" as if your candidate is eliminated your vote transfers to your next preference. By contrast in a first past the post system (like in the UK) there is a strong disincentive to vote for any candidate who is not perceived to have a hope of election, as you will thus "waste your vote" and lack an input into the outcome of the election. This gives rise to distortions and [url=
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_voting_system#Tactical_voting]tactical voting[/url], where people may not vote for the candidate that they most would like, but the most palatable candidate who also has a chance of winning.

Actually spoilt votes would include an empty ballot paper, marking the same preference against more than one candidate, write-ins, etc. etc. It can be accidental or deliberate (as a form of protest.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 the1

is an age card okay identification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

I thought I was on the register but aftrer checking it today I can't find my name on it. Is it too late to register?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

the1 wrote:
    is an age card okay identification?
    Yes
    danteXXI wrote:
    I thought I was on the register but aftrer checking it today I can't find my name on it. Is it too late to register?
    Yes, but ring your local authority and check with them directly.

Advertisement