Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Voter registration questions answered here (if we can)

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

Can I not register online at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

danteXXI wrote:
    Can I not register online at all?
    No, it is too late to register. You can't register online in any case, you can only download the forms. You can _check_ if you are on the register online at www.checktheregister.ie but this does not AFAIK cover the supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

I first registered to vote before the 2002 election when I lived in Cork. I have since moved to Dublin but did not re-register as I was under the impression that I could still vote in Cork, and was under the impression that once you registered you would not have to do it again. Today I discovered that I am no longer on the register. For future reference, is it necessary to register for every election, and do you have to re-register every time you move to a new local authority area?

probably the reason you are not on the cork register anymore is because of the review of the register done a few months ago.
    Who ever visited where you were registered would have been told you no longer live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Registered at my parent's house, although I wasn't living there at the time I thought it would be more convenient as I was renting and tended to move on every year or so. I'll check with them, thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

if you're not on the online version of the register - please ring your county council. i checked for my sister a few weeks ago and she was on it, today when no polling card had arrived for her i checked again to see where she should vote and she wasn't there anymore! rang fingal who within a few seconds were able to tell me she was on register and where to vote, was so grateful that i forgot to query how come she'd come off the online version!
    if you can vote do so for whichever party/candidate - just vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Well I went and voted on the way home from work this morning with no problems.

I got a call from my mother about an hour ago telling me that she, my dad, and my gran (who lives with them), were not on the register!

They have all been living at the same address for nearly 15 years now and have always voted. My Gran who is 82 has never missed her and is very annoyed to say the least.

Does anyone know how this can happen....that they are suddenly removed from the register, and is it too late to do anything about it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

I got a call from my mother about an hour ago telling me that she, my dad, and my gran (who lives with them), were not on the register!

They have all been living at the same address for nearly 15 years now and have always voted. My Gran who is 82 has never missed her and is very annoyed to say the least.

Does anyone know how this can happen....that they are suddenly removed from the register, and is it too late to do anything about it??

Is there anyway to find out who took their names off and the criteria they used for doing so???

I think this is a really important question as we dont want to head the way of certain US states where Republican supporters went around ticking off African-American voters they thought wouldnt be sympathetic to them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Hello. Can anyone help me on this? I registered to vote on the supplementary register and sent my application in by registered post well before the deadline (went through the usual hassle of getting it stamped at Garda station etc).

Some time later I realised I didn't have a polling card. I rang the county council (outside Dublin) and they said they had never received my application and that I must have sent it in late / forgotten to send it! How insulting!

I then contacted An Post who kindly tracked my application and were able to provide written proof that they had delivered it to the county council well before the deadline. I gave the council this info and they then admitted that they had actually lost my application. They told me that without question, even though it was entirely their fault, that I could not vote.

I was gutted by this. I was hugely interested in voting in this election, had researched the candidates and let alone that, it's a citizen's right, the cornerstone of a democracy. I wonder how many other people it happened to?

My local TD was not able to help, and the county council needless to say were not very forthcoming. Is there an official body I can lodge a complaint with?

Many thanks.

W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

diarmuidh wrote:

Is there anyway to find out who took their names off and the criteria they used for doing so???

I think this is a really important question as we dont want to head the way of certain US states where Republican supporters went around ticking off African-American voters they thought wouldnt be sympathetic to them!!!
    In Laois/Offaly hundreds were simply removed from the register simply because they were not home when election register officials called. That was the only criteria used to remove them. The first they knew of this was when a letter arrived advising that they were removed.

Anyone that protested was required to appear before a special sitting of the circuit court in order to get back on the register. I was one of these few hundred. The judge was not impressed with the attitude of the election officials. Anyways everyone that applied were reinstated onto the register.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Wisheress wrote:
    My local TD was not able to help, and the county council needless to say were not very forthcoming. Is there an official body I can lodge a complaint with?
    Your county council has its own internal complaints procedure, which you should exhaust before going onto the Ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Thanks RainyDay. Will do.

Advertisement