Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram question

Options
  • 29-04-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    just noticed that 1 of my 1gb sticks of ram was not showing up.ad a look and it had unseated itself. now heres the thing could that have caused it to fail.as i tried reseating it in different slots but no luck.
    had it set up as dual channel on my p5b deluxe.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

game4it70 wrote:
    hi all,
    just noticed that 1 of my 1gb sticks of ram was not showing up.ad a look and it had unseated itself. now heres the thing could that have caused it to fail.as i tried reseating it in different slots but no luck.
    had it set up as dual channel on my p5b deluxe.
    thanks

technically, it mrely being unseated should not damage it.

What concerns me is the fact that it DID become unseated. How did that happen?? Ram modules cannot just pop out, so the machine was either dropped (which still probably wouldnt make it happen) or someone popped it out.

The fact that its not recognised now would suggest that the module is indeed now damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yea someone must have taken it out maybe? Its quite hard(well.. theres a bit of force involved)to put in, it wouldnt just pop out!

Maybe pc is really old?
    How much ram do you have anyway?

you noticed 1, 1GB stick wasnt showing up? Do you have over 2GB? If you do and dont have a 64bit software I dont think it will show up anyway!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

DeafVision wrote:
    yea someone must have taken it out maybe? Its quite hard(well.. theres a bit of force involved)to put in, it wouldnt just pop out!

Maybe pc is really old?
    How much ram do you have anyway?

you noticed 1, 1GB stick wasnt showing up? Do you have over 2GB? If you do and dont have a 64bit software I dont think it will show up anyway!

Probably 2x1gb sticks. 32bit OS' can address up to around 4gb, so no problem there. You can of course enable physical address extension to use more ram, as servers have been doing for years before the advent of 64bit OS and hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Yea we need to know how much total RAM your putting into the system. In the BIOS regardless of your OS you should be able to find the total RAM installed and in which slots they are placed in.

Is this an AMD system or a Intel.

If you only have two sticks try placing them in different slots, then if that fails try each individual sticks in each slot to see whats what. If the apparently faulty one fails in all the slots and another stick passes then thats case closed I'd say DOA RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

thanks 4 the replies lads. doa i'm afraid.sytem wont boot using the dodgy stick in any slot.
    it must not have been seated properly in first place as machine was not dropped or banged.silly me.never like forcing them in to hard.
    have 1gb left so not great 4 bf2 at the mo.was planing 2 get 2gb's of faster ram anyway so looks like the core duo wll have 2 wait til i get the ram first.

thank agian.

ps what ram should i get ie. speed for my p5b deluxe and e6700 when i get it? will maybe start overclockng the system in the future.

• Advertisement

Decent DDR2-800 should be fine. Try get something based on D9-GMH or D9-GKX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Decent DDR2-800 should be fine. Try get something based on D9-GMH or D9-GKX

CRUCAIL ballitx pc6400 :D

What RAM is the working 1GB you have. I should get a similar stick so you can get the dual channel thing working and you also know that that type of RAM works with your board so I'd go with get some more of the same on those two points.

there matched pairs and pretty crap imo.was stuck 2 get system running so got from pcworld (shudder).i will get 2 gb matched soon and use the crap stuff on family pc.was lookin at this any thoughts? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312367#product_review

They look fine but a sentence of warning, be very sure that that RAM is ok to work with your board a nice place to look it up is on Newegg here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

look for your board and scan if anyone had any issues etc also check the mobo's qualified vendors list. I'm still having some small RAM problems so I'm all paranoid about it these days.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PC World's ram is fine. It's PNY and I use it in my other PC and it's no hassle...unless you mean the other stuff. Kingmax, or something. Which incidentally is also fine, unless you're overclocking

Yea from what I've seen people get too hyped over RAM for standard purposes standard stuff will do fine no need for 300 euro dominator killer RAM most of the time that is ;)
    It's just fine to get some stuff that works and is functional without excessive price

yeah the ram i have is samsung which u would think would be ok.gettin this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312367#product_review
    lol gettin a e6600 r a 6700 also but cannot find a soundcard anywhere. every site i try has no flippin stock.

Advertisement