Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to study poetry

Options
  • 29-04-2007 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Ok, so if you want to be sure you know at least one question, you need 5 poets learned...thats a lot of learning.

Whats the best way you guys learn poetry? I know everyone has their own ways. For instance, I write out an essay (a general one) and get it corrected and learn off the quotes I use and the points I make. I got 41/50 for my mock question but I found out what poest were comming up. But to learn 5 poets is tough...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I read the detailed notes we were given, take out the main 4/5 points, then pick 3 key quotes. Then on a single side of A4 I can fit 5 poems from one poet, 3 quotes and 4 main points for each poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Get a piece of card for each poem and write out important quotes, themes and issues, poetic techniques etc.

Worked a treat for my mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

For each of my poets I wrote their name, 6 of their poems (we do 6 each) and under each poem title, a few key words on what it's about, then under that 2/3 memorable quotes from the poem... I never learned any poems off, just picked out a few phrases I thought were the only ones I'd use anyway, as long as it's all done in short and doesn't look too long on paper I learn it easily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Man Down

Kloss notes are very handy for revision.
    I'm getting grinds for Honours english every friday evening and I find them very helpful.

Got a C3 in my mock which wasnt fantastic but I'm hoping to pull that up to a C1 or B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I got an A2 in my mock, basically I just learned quotes from each of the poems I had done, making sure they were revelant to points I could make about the poem from my head. It's very hard to just learn passages of stuff, you really have to understand and have opinions of your own about the poems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I got an A2 also, and got 59 out of 60 for my Kavanagh essay (I kept on saying play instead of poem :confused: )
    I summarised each poem, learned off quotes and then wrote out why I liked certain aspects of each poem/poet. Seemed to work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I have an A4 page for each poem (sometimes A4 + 1/2). I've 6 poems per poet, and I have 5 poets. I use my notes for all my essays and now I've got most of it memorised I've seen it that often. I just adapt my notes to fit the question and bring the question up in each paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

I have too detailed notes on each poem to learn off so for each poet I pick 4 poems and write out the techniques and themes that appear in each one and learn those.

How many poems does your teacher say you say deal with in essays btw??
    My teacher used to say 3 in depth and refer to others but now she says 4 in depth and refer to others but the other higher level class' english teacher still says 3 :?:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

With a few cans of red bull, and matchsticks to keep your eyes open as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

H....looks like I'll have to start taking these tactics. So far into the whole LC course, I havent attempted one poetry essay question. i just cant bring myself to looking at them. I'm thinking Plath is gonna come up this, as Bishop was last year, but thats just my theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Montague must come up, last year on course and hasnt come up yet, plus he is so easy! *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Montague must come up, last year on course and hasnt come up yet, plus he is so easy! *fingers crossed*

Hope so too, I love Montague

'And still, mysterious blessing, I never knew, until you were gone..'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Huh?

maybe i dont know Montague as much as i thought i did :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

md99 wrote:
    Hope so too, I love Montague

'And still, mysterious blessing, I never knew, until you were gone..'

Me too. I love All Legendary Obstacles.
    Kavanagh would do nicely for me too though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Plath'd be the business if she came up. Granted, her poems are a bit ****ed up, but there isn't a lot of questions they can ask you about her, or a lot of themes that can be asked. It's basically all depressing. If a repeat of that mock question came up, I'd be pretty sasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Plath'd be the business if she came up. Granted, her poems are a bit ****ed up, but there isn't a lot of questions they can ask you about her, or a lot of themes that can be asked. It's basically all depressing. If a repeat of that mock question came up, I'd be pretty sasta.

I'm in the same boat, fingers crossed for Plath coming up this year.

Advertisement