Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband (Again!!!!!)

Options
  • 29-04-2007 9:46pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here still using Ice??
    Asked about this a while back and their service was s**t.Is it still as bad??

Maynooth area???

Might have no option but to sign up to them :(:(

Thanks
    Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why not use Irish Broadband or Clearwire. I've just moved to maynooth and am getting full speed on Irish Broadband 2Mb connection. Friend has Clearwire and is pretty happy with it but they do block ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Don't get Clearwire if you are in to file sharing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well Ive been reading bad things about all 3 of them but kind of want to see which is the best of a bad lot :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

riish broadband is fine nowadays , digiweb metro may be out there too, clearwire I would avoid like the plague.

I'm using Irishbroadband now and its fine. I can download torrents, pings are good enough to play HL2 online and use by Nintendo DS to play Metroid Prime Hunters online.

I've not hooked my 360 up yet. We are on 2Mbps package and usually get about 250KB/s download.

Should say I'm living in Straffan Way Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hows Irish Broadband for Voip??
    As stated in my original post Im moving to Maynooth in about 3-4 weeks time and really want to stay away from Eircons mental prices--been ripped off enough by them in my current house--going to use this opportunity to try and get away from them altogether but will need decent speeds and voip with a landline phone number.

One more thing---Anyone used Voip for Sky digital??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need very good ISP based Specific QOS for modem use like Sky Digital, Bluleface, Smart076 etc will not work or not work reliably.

Breeze should work with VOIP, but badly for Fax (a single page may work, but not 10 pages), and erratically for Sky/Phonewatch etc.

Metro built in phone (VOIP based) has been tested with Fax, Skydigital and Dialup Modems. 3rd Party VOIP does not work as well.

Ripwave is mostly useless for VOIP.

I've not used it for VOIP.

At peak times today (17-18) it dropped just below 1Mbps (9 hundred and something) with pings of 170ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Here is Icecomms speed tonight in the attached image. This is after more than 6 months of calling every day and being fed bull about weather, masts being down, it'll be fixed tomorrow etc.

Sometimes they fix it but it always goes back to the speeds you see here within a day or 2.

Make of it what you will.

I'm on th 3Mb business package you see at this link http://www.icebroadband.com/ice/content/view/16/38/

It is sometimes fast but 85% of the time it is worse than this.
    I'm only with them because i cant get any other broadband.
    As for VOIP - forget it. It is useless with ice
    Even thinking of going with satellite instead of ICEcomms.

Same test with Irish Broadband done at 20:18.

Not sure what package we are on as I just moved into the house but it is a 2Mb connection and its breeze not ripwave as there is an reciever on the side of the house. I'd say we are on this package:
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=16

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I have got Irish Broadband in Clonsilla area and I have a 4MB/4MB.
    That was fine at the beginning but now my upload speed is about 50Kb and download speed is about 150Kb, so a lot less, I should be around 450Kb/500Kb but Irish Broadband is happy enough with that because I have a 24:1 contention ratio.
    Basically it means my minimum speed should be 21Kb up and down, so because I have got more they don't do anything, but I pay 80+ euro for this ****, it's been 2 months now, seriously thinking to move away from them.

Is digiweb with ratio 1:1 available in Clonsilla Area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

mick.fr wrote:

Is digiweb with ratio 1:1 available in Clonsilla Area ?

not yet - they are waiting on the high site (Quinn Q centre building) to be commissioned/completed...

Ntl cable broadband is available in Clonsilla also ..

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Icecom is still pathetic.

They're outright lying about their 3mb service.
    Voip is practically impossible with amount of packet loss their service suffers - they're a bunch of chancers.
    Their installers will even tell you how bad they are.

Advertisement