Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What modems/routers are Eircom supplying these days?

Options
  • 29-04-2007 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what make/model of router/modem Eircom are supplying these days? Is it still the blue Netopia one, the 3300 series? Does it depend on which package you choose, 1Mb, 2Mb or 3Mb?

I only ask because I'm going round tomorrow to a total computer illiterate to install her broadband, and I've no idea whether she's got ethernet or not (I'm assuming she's at least got a USB port free in case it's a USB based device.) I can lay my hands on a spare ethernet card if necessary, but it'd be nice to know beforehand. It's no use calling her to ask, she doesn't know one end of the computer from the next, plus she's deaf as a post and very difficult to speak to on the phone :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Good to know that the person concerned has such a sensitive caring installer looking after her:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SisterCheeba

I had Eircom BB installed a couple of months ago, and they gave me a Netopia 2247-Nwg, if that helps. I'm fairly sure it's the same one they supply regardless of the package you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had Eircom BB installed a couple of months ago, and they gave me a Netopia 2247-Nwg, if that helps. I'm fairly sure it's the same one they supply regardless of the package you go for.
    Thanks for that. From the Netopia website it looks like that's Ethernet only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dub45 wrote:
    Good to know that the person concerned has such a sensitive caring installer looking after her:rolleyes:
    Not quite sure where you're getting at there, I have to say. Just telling it like it is .. if she had a clue, she wouldn't be getting me in to do it for her, would she now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You're always better to install ethernet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The 2247 is supplied for the always on packages (1, 2 & 3 meg), which is ethernet only.
    For the Broadband Time package they supply the Netopia Pocket modem which is USB only.
    http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/3000/adsl2_pocket_modem.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DVDMAN

the modems eircom supply can have trouble if you are at about 4-5km from your excahnge and your line is crappy. you may need to upgrade to a modem/router if the noise on your line is too much for better speeds

Advertisement