Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista

• 29-04-2007 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭

was looking into getting a new computer and thinking of a Dell laptop, with Vista home edition, with 1 GB of RAm -- i was told to stay well clear of vista , and wait until a later version comes out --
    the 2 problems i was told about is it eats memory , and many XP / win 2k apps don't run on XP --
    is vista that bad, also when will next vista version be out ?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Vistas only bad when its put on a pc that runs xp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

thebaz wrote:
    was looking into getting a new computer and thinking of a Dell laptop, with Vista home edition, with 1 GB of RAm -- i was told to stay well clear of vista , and wait until a later version comes out --
    the 2 problems i was told about is it eats memory , and many XP / win 2k apps don't run on XP --
    is vista that bad, also when will next vista version be out ?

cheers.
    Vista will work fine on a modern laptop. It uses the memory available to it, which should be 1GB at a minimum. Don't worry about software, i've had no problems moving from XP, and was able to find replacements that did for any smaller applications that didn't work correctly.

I think the first major update for Vista will be towards the end of the year. I see no reason to wait until then to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

its fine, very dull and boring, but its not xp sp0, and as i keep stressing... were all behind NAT roupters now so there will be no new blaster virsus ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Vista home edition doesnt have all the fancy bits like areo(spelling?) Its basically got the theme.. Thats all the "looks" new.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ive found Vista to be brilliant, I just got a new laptop and it runs brilliantly, I did bump up the ram to 2GBs though.

Id say go for it.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I like Vista, I got the Home Premium version. Have 1GB of RAM but I'm going to get another 2GB soon just to speed things up a little. The GUI is very nice and I like the sidebar. Don't really see the point of the aero feature, its good but not all that useful. Caused me a few problems installing it but with the help of 8T8 I got that fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

for 570 Dell are doing a notebook, inspiron series, 1 GB of RAM, dual pentium processor, lowish HD of 60 GB , with vista Home Edition , all for 570 euros inclusive .
    I have a 3 year old inspiron with xp , 250 ram , which i have found good but am finding a bit slow now, i was going to up the ram , but then thought for 570 i can get a new machine -- but a few freinds warned me of vista , saying it hogs memory , and that many of my current windows apps won't run.
    Most here seam happy eneogh !

Advertisement