Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters Up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is it illegal to pull an election poster down?

I wondered this myself yesterday. What the legal position would be if one were to go about taking down all the posters, soberly and methodically, for a particular candidate or just all the posters in general?

It would hardly be theft as the posters have been left on public lampposts. Criminal damage is a possibilty but in taking them down one may not necessarily damage them and for criminal damage to take place, I believe the damaged item must belong to somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I could'nt give a sh!te about the election in all fairness, all i know is this time i'd vote for satan himself over Bertie, i want that f*cking clown-without-makeup looking mug out of office permanently. The posters just give me even more to hate about him, the useless twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

wyndham wrote:
    I wondered this myself yesterday. What the legal position would be if one were to go about taking down all the posters, soberly and methodically, for a particular candidate or just all the posters in general?

It would hardly be theft as the posters have been left on public lampposts. Criminal damage is a possibilty but in taking them down one may not necessarily damage them and for criminal damage to take place, I believe the damaged item must belong to somebody.
    There's some crime or other in it, as otherwise you'd have the FF types taking down the FG posters as quick as they put theirs up, and vice versa for all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Wow posters are up. What a suprise! And 3 weeks before an election too, shocker!

Come on people of course there's going to be loads of posters up when this is going to be the closest election in 20 yrs. As for being up so fast well it's simple everyones been waiting for Bertie to call it for months so all the parties were ready to go.

It's only 3 weeks every five years so bitchin about posters is a little stupid. There main job is to get people familiar with the faces of the candidates as they will appear on the ballot paper. And it looks like there effective in that regard in that we're all talking about them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is there not certain councils that have banned these things? I mean if you're relying on plastering your mug around the neighborhood to get elected it says a lot about our democracy.

they're all awful looking gimps too. o'snodaigh looks like he'd have to take the yellow bus to the dail and yer man pat carey would probably disintegrate in sunlight with that nosferatu head on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

All these posters of the Bertie's mush are like what goes on in a third world dicatorship with his face staring down at you watching you all the time!

Bloody muppets, will they ever cop on that posters have no affect on how people vote even if they vote at all.

Who do we contact in the council if a FF poster sitting at a traffic light blocks vision of oncoming traffic when turning right? (Ringsend Road onto Barrow Street)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Policitcans are just a waste of space,money and time. It makes me so angry that you wait years fior them to do something or act on something important and then they are able to put election posters up in a couple of hours. All politicans care about is getting into power (with a few exceptions).

For the next three weeks I consider myself an anarchist and am not voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

panda100 wrote:
    Policitcans are just a waste of space,money and time. It makes me so angry that you wait years fior them to do something or act on something important and then they are able to put election posters up in a couple of hours. All politicans care about is getting into power (with a few exceptions).
    I bet you get in contact with your local TD's and councillors all the time to let them know what you expect of them. Or maybe they are mindreaders?
    For the next three weeks I consider myself an anarchist and am not voting.
    Fantastic, that'll change the system for the better. Jeez people this is your chance to have a say in the running of the country. A little idealism wouldn't hurt about now. We are the people who pay their wages, we are the people they represent, we are the people to whom they are responsible. Make them work for your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I bet you get in contact with your local TD's and councillors all the time to let them know what you expect of them. Or maybe they are mindreaders?.

Yes I do. I have been a member of labour youth and young fine gael and pressed my local and national tds on many issues especailly in regards to mental health. In my four years of camapigning on this matter,nothing has ever been done.

Fantastic, that'll change the system for the better. Jeez people this is your chance to have a say in the running of the country. A little idealism wouldn't hurt about now. We are the people who pay their wages, we are the people they represent, we are the people to whom they are responsible. Make them work for your vote.

Refraining from voting is a clear tactic of people power.I dont believe in any of the politicans put infront of me bertie,rabbitte,enda none of them. By not voting I am sending a clear message that I and the thousands of other people who do not vote that we do not believe or have trust in the current system.Its people power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

panda100 wrote:
    Refraining from voting is a clear tactic of people power.I dont believe in any of the politicans put infront of me bertie,rabbitte,enda none of them. By not voting I am sending a clear message that I and the thousands of other people who do not vote that we do not believe or have trust in the current system.Its people power.

Its a clear statement that you have given up trying to change anything. You think the politicans you don't believe in care about the people who stay at home? its the voters they have to keep happy, not the apathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

gurramok wrote:
    Who do we contact in the council if a FF poster sitting at a traffic light blocks vision of oncoming traffic when turning right? (Ringsend Road onto Barrow Street)
    Dublin City Council Environment or Traffic sections.
    Ask Traffic Control, 1800-872-345. They might be able to see it on the cameras and advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yeah seen them yesterday everywhere ffs. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Is it illegal to pull an election poster down?
    If so, woops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Do you know the funny bit about this???

Two thirds of the fat arses who have posted here won't shift their load down to the polling stations to vote.
    They will bitch till the day is long and moan, but ask them to do even ONEpositive deed during this election...nah.... Couldn't be arsed Guv.

At least the goons who put up the posters have done SOMETHING for nothing instead of whinging and caterwauling about the environment.

same whankers probably think nothing about flinging their fag butts all over the place and generally going through life imposing on society,and making f all contribution to wellbeing of others.

flutterinbantam *probably* pisses all over public toilet seats. And punches babies.

have you any evidence to back up that claim Bambi.

Why the sudden personal attack on a poster who tries to speak the truth

Because i am merely the mirror that reflects your post upon you so you might see its ugliness. thats why.

aka: you started it :p

so, yeah politicians... ugly, littering c**ts

That reply doesn't merit any ripost from me.

You should debate the issues ,not try to instigate personal attacks on posters who,in my opinion, are airing perfectly legitimate points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

That reply doesn't merit any ripost from me.

You should debate the issues ,not try to instigate personal attacks on posters who,in my opinion, are airing perfectly legitimate points.

Idiot.
    Two thirds of the fat arses who have posted here won't shift their load down to the polling stations to vote.
    They will bitch till the day is long and moan, but ask them to do even ONEpositive deed during this election...nah.... Couldn't be arsed Guv.

You are deviating from the topic Sir.

Please address the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

At least the goons who put up the posters have done SOMETHING for nothing instead of whinging and caterwauling about the environment.

Not good enough - they've done something BAD in putting up those pointless posters with their mindless "Vote for me!" slogans. Outside of political party obsessives, no-one actually looks at a street smothered in election posters and thinks "That looks nice. Definite improvement there."

To make matters worse, most Irish politicians are so offensively ugly that, in a sane world, they'd be cast out of society and forced to hide in caves with bags over their heads. The last thing we need is to see their beady-eyed, low-cheekboned faces everywhere for weeks on end.

We seem to be generating a fair degree of heat over something that nobody ever looks at;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Do you know the funny bit about this???

QUOTE]

Told the FF guys to "go away" or words to that effect last time..does that count as positive?.

Personally i have always felt that if you didn't vote (for whoever) then you had no right to moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

"Two thirds of the fat arses who have posted here won't shift their load down to the polling stations to vote."

I don't see how voting or not voting is relevent to election posters? Again, a candidate should be able to get peoples attention other than spamming posters everywhere. If not, they don't deserve to be elected.

It always strikes me as incongrous, the reaction of people to election posters ,versus their reaction to general litter.

Just check outside most pubs on a Sat morning and note the hundreds of fag butts lying on the street. Very little reaction from Joe Public.happening every week end of the year.

Once every five years or so there is a GE,and posters go up!!
    reaction is amazing,despite the fact that 98% of these will be taken down and disposed of properly.

Does that not strike people as strange,what's the word i'm looking for... hypocracy.. yeah thatl'l do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I find election posters more annoying than smoke butts.

Election posters are one thing that can be stopped at the source.

heh heh ... there's no answer to that "logic"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Was out in with the folks yesterday and all the local TD's and family were fighting over lamps, i noticed one patricular Sinn Fein person getting quite annoyed over a PD person putting their poster, it was sort like "well i was here first nah nah nah" quiet funny to watch and i have noticed a a certain Green Party Candiate has had their photo air brushed to fu.ck, she actually looked respectable and the Sinn Fein bloke has shortened his name to fit on the poster - have nothing really to add here, i have move important things to worry about then posters oh and Rectum, i will be voting :D

:eek: No kiddin!!

there's a "Justice and Fairness for Slappers" party in your area?

:D:DBURN

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

:eek: No kiddin!!

there's a "Justice and Fairness for Slappers" party in your area?

:D:DBURN

yes, yes there is and i am running :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement