Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters Up

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

looksee wrote:
    Time was that to accuse someone of cowardice would have resulted in pistols at dawn. Later it was a word that could have an 18 year old in front of a firing squad. Now it won't even get someone banned from a chatroom thread. Thats not particularly a bad thing, but it does seem like a rather emotive term to use about the futile and irritating occupation of doorstepping by political supporters.

Why is it any different for me to see off one of these pestiferous people in the same way I would get rid of a telephone cold caller? If they want to put their leaflets through my door, thats fine. But why should I interrupt preparing or eating a meal, or relaxing in front of the television, or whatever else I might be doing, to enter into discussion with an earnest, grinning puppet who generally has only a vague notion of his candidate's policies?
    Promises are easy for the candidate to make, why should I make life any more difficult for myself?Nowhere have I said that I will not study form on the candidates, but I will do it in my own time. Try and get a bit of perspective and stop being so selfrighteous.

Time was when people actually read other peoples posts properly.
    Nowhere did I accuse anyone of cowardice.

You seem to me to be changing the tenor of your reply now.
    Your initial post seemed to suggest that you took enjoyment telling people they had your no.1,that you welcomed the opportunity to baffle them.

like you, if the Bantam was roosting in front of the TV, or pecking at a meal or otherwise engaged the door callers would get short shrift.
    There are lots of things about politics I don't like,but I realise that canvassers have a job to do and give them that respect.
    You wont achieve anything by not getting engaged in some way.

PS Hinting that someone should be banned is a bit underhand ..you don't play for Chelsea by any chance???;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Time was when people actually read other peoples posts properly.
    Nowhere did I accuse anyone of cowardice.

You seem to me to be changing the tenor of your reply now.
    Your initial post seemed to suggest that you took enjoyment telling people they had your no.1,that you welcomed the opportunity to baffle them.

like you, if the Bantam was roosting in front of the TV, or pecking at a meal or otherwise engaged the door callers would get short shrift.
    There are lots of things about politics I don't like,but I realise that canvassers have a job to do and give them that respect.
    You wont achieve anything by not getting engaged in some way.

PS Hinting that someone should be banned is a bit underhand ..you don't play for Chelsea by any chance???;)

*about to respond* but suddenly overtaken by ennui and lost the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shutting this down as in reality is a AH thread and alot of the posters posted as such.

FlutterinBantam if I see responses from you like the ones in this thread again in any thread here whether started on this forum or moved from another forum I will take action.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement