Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Philips 37" LCD Question/ Problem

• 29-04-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

I picked up a 37inch Philips LCD in DID the other day. I have it hooked up to a HD DVD player with a HDMI calbe.

My problem is: the screen is very "bright" for want of a better word. I can't get black to appear black. All I seem to be able to get is a sort of grey or something. For example on a widescreen movie the black "lines" aren't black and the overall picture seems I dunno how to explain but it seems faded or something.

I've played with the colour, contrast, brighness, sharpness everything and I can't get rid of the problem. I've taken all settings down to zero and I still can't get black. Before on my normal TV if I took the settings down to zero the screen would look as if the TV was turned off and black was black

Is this a problem with the TV or is this something that's to be expected on all LCDs?

Is there any thing I can do to rectify it.

It's very annoying while watching a movie :mad:

If it can't be rectified would I be within my rights to return it? Is it a "fault"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

thats lcd for ya! the image is created by backlight, so they cant create the blacks. cos how can u create black with light.

anyway, if turning down the settings doesnt make a difference then you might be stuck with it like that. keep backlight and brightness down.

moe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Agreed , the general consensus is that LCD's cant do perfect blacks , but my Panasonic is pretty damned close and having seen some philips LCD's in Arnotts so should yours be, it shouldn't be as noticably grey as you say , so I would consider taking it back and comparing it to some of the other Philips that are available.
    It sounds like you may have a faulty set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

just out of curiosity did you buy this model?
    http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=37PFL7332&subid=195 for €1,299.95

or was it this one
    http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=37PF5321&subid=195 for €999.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I think it was the latter whiteshadow except it was black instead of silver.

Any reason?

Ay Cee wrote:
    I think it was the latter whiteshadow except it was black instead of silver.

Any reason?

Ahhh just i bought the black 37inch for 1299 today and then came home about 10 minutes later i saw this post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

How have you found it whiteshadow?
    My mother's in the market for a new TV so I'm gonna sell her my one.

literally only set it up this weekend.
    it seems great... im very happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I had 2 phillips crts in me life, no probs at all, so I was gonna buy a phillips lcd then I saw Gears of War (Xbox 360 game) on samsung (side by side w phillips) and went for the samsung one.....

My mate got the 1080P Pixel plus etc Phillips one with ambilight on it etc, (€2,200 on komplett I believe!) but its started acting up lately (software I reckon) can never remove the "EXT 3" sign off the screen and turns itself on and off, resizes the 360 pic all the time (like its zooming?) and then to top it off, the remote stops working, for no reason at all!

He tried factory reset etc to no avail, fortunately they came and picked it up the other day and took it off for repair, hopefully he gets his probs sorted, otherwise its a great tv!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

My Philips 37" is fine I think you just need to tweak the settings a bit more to get it right. It does take a while to get accustomed to the difference in screen brightness after using a CRT but after a few days you'll hardly know the difference

Advertisement