Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's yours called ?

• 29-04-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I don't know about you, but I call my vehicle a campervan. I have had some members of one of the stuffier UK clubs correct me and call it a motorhome, but I correct them back and call it a campervan just to annoy them.

I have also seen them described as motor-caravans, but that is really taking things a little too far. If anyone ever insists on calling my vehicle a motor-caravan I will be forced to ask them how their horseless carriage performs while giggling to myself. It's not a caravan and it's not a home.

In fairness, I think the nearest thing to an official description of it would be a motorhome, but to me it's a campervan and that's good enough for me.

For reference it looks a little like this - http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/m/000/7d/85/04a6_24.JPG - only nicer . . .

What do you call yours ?

z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

ours is a camper:D called, Daisybus:) when our then 3 year old saw it first he called ait a pamping van:D :D:D

I think there will always be different terms used for your vehicle but you should be allowed to call it what you like yourself and not be corrected:) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Usually call it the "womo" (short for German "WOhnMObil) in english it's just "the camper", same as the old VW.

Oh yeah ...it has a name as well. Seenashow it's Italian it's called "Luigi" (you couldn't really give something this ugly a girls' name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

On the long trip back to Ireland from Germany, my friend and I took to calling mine "The Beast".

I haven't been away in it yet to get a feel for the character and give it a proper name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

The kids call our camper "Cool Runnings"......looking at getting it in big letters on the front and back of the van:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Ours is called 'Ivana B' -
    (a) after someone we know
    but
    (b) mainly 'cos 'Ivana B' somewhere else, Ivana B beside the seaside, Ivana B on that ferry that just pulled out... etc.
    definitely a 'she' - she's pretty, unique, stubborn, not too thirsty, gives lots of pleasure, and needs a MAN to handle her...(no no no I didn't mean that Dear, just trying to sound macho, pet....)

db.
    (anyway - thought this thread should be bumped up a bit.....)
    PS- as regards a generic term for these yokes - I think WoMo has a nice neat ring to it - like the German slang for mobile phones - 'Handi' - mein WoMo und mein Handi - much easier to say than 'My motorcaravan and my mobile phone' - interesting that such easy language comes from the Folk who 'have no word for 'fluffy'' (according to Blackadder...)... leedle bit OT I know....

• Advertisement

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    interesting that such easy language comes from the Folk who 'have no word for 'fluffy'' (according to Blackadder...)... leedle bit OT I know....

As a huge Blackadder fan, I'm gonna pull moderator privileges here and decree that this in fact very much ON topic :D:D:D

(there has to be a bit of banter on this forum as well ...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

"moderator privileges " or blatant abuse of power??? ;)

whatever floats your boat ...:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Ours was referred to "The Magical Mystery Machine" by a friend this morning!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ours is called Volker...

I'd love to get a big converted bus and call it Priscilla :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Fits - if it were a VW LT extra Wide - would Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert be appropriate?<grin>
    db.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Ours is a camper (or motorhome if we're feeling snobby! ;)) called The Squire. The name simply comes from the van itself,:o it's a Ford Hearld Squire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭still

Bessy and she is some woman, not a whinge to be heard, even sits quitely when her gearbox is broken.

I'll say it again, she is some woman. (and im not usually a fan of butch german girls).:D

Advertisement