Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am 1998 Q. 1 (b)

Options
  • 29-04-2007 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

i know im prob really annoyin ppl with all these am threads but im rely stuck for time t get these exam papers done. i no it takes time to type a solution up so if someone could just tell me the main points to go about it it 'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Ok its time that I actually helped someone else with applied maths. Usually its me getting the help!

Right 98 q b (I)

Car A: a= 3b/20 u= 9u t = t1 + 3 S=S1 V=6.5

Car B: a= 2b/9 u= 5u t = t1 S=S1 V=5.4

1. Get an equation in each using V= U + AT

So for car A I got: 6.5 = 9u + 3bt1/20 + 9b/20. This can be manipulated to get: 20/3b( 6.5 - 9u - 9b/20) = t1

Now do the exact same for car B: and get t1 = 9/2b( 5.4 - 5u). Let both these t1’s equal to get one eqtn with two unknowns, u and b

Now do the same using V^2 = U^2 + 2AS for both cars

Manipulate both to separate S1 on both sides and let S1 = S1

I got 20/6b( (6.5^2) - 81U^2) = S1 = 9/4b( (5.4^2) - 25U^2)

You should now get two simultaneous equations in u and b which should be able to be solved. ( I haven’t a calculator on me so that’s as far as I can go) hope that works!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hi Shox. This is the solution I have for the '98 Linear Motion Q. Hope this helps. There is an awful long bit at the end and is only worth 5marks. The questions I hope to do in the leaving are Q1,2,3,4,5&8. I was wondering how many other people are doing Q.8 - Thats the Rigid Body Rotation Q?

Q1(a) and start of (b) am981a.jpg

The end of (b) am981b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

hey tanks a million lads, dats a great help.

Nope i'm doin Q.1,2,3,4,5,10 (well trying to anyway haha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

i duno if many do q 8.
    i'm hoping to do 1 3 4 5 10 and the easiest from 2 6 9. do many do q 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Question 9 (Hydrostatics) has the lowest response rate of any question on the paper (2004 it was 11.7%).
    However it has an average score rate amongst students of 36~38 marks, and therefore means students are averaging higher scores in this question than in both Rigid Body Motion, and Differential Equations and almost equal scores in Circular & SHM.
    Quite ironic in that, ~80% of students answer Differential Equations and the average score is so low, when you compare those stats to the Hydrostatics question. Goes to show that students should always try out the other topics - I'd guess some students could probably bump their averages just by not focusing on what is the general trend, by trying out other topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Diff equations is easily the easiest question on the app maths paper for me....

I hate statics though and I think I'll abandon it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Question 9 (Hydrostatics) has the lowest response rate of any question on the paper (2004 it was 11.7%).
    However it has an average score rate amongst students of 36~38 marks, and therefore means students are averaging higher scores in this question than in both Rigid Body Motion, and Differential Equations and almost equal scores in Circular & SHM.
    Quite ironic in that, ~80% of students answer Differential Equations and the average score is so low, when you compare those stats to the Hydrostatics question. Goes to show that students should always try out the other topics - I'd guess some students could probably bump their averages just by not focusing on what is the general trend, by trying out other topics.

Id agree totally, when I first open an applied math paper the first questions I look at are SHM, Hydrostatics and Projectiles. If they are ok then I know Ill survive the paper! The Hydrostatics question is actually really easy, only 4 types of questions can come up, and most times the part a takes about 3 mins max!

Advertisement