Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertiegate 2

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Tristrame wrote:
    In other words,it's hearsay.
    LoL about the phones,I'm sure some of them were on as Brian Lenihan was on the politics programme last night.

Brian Lenihan is not Bertie or even a bertie advisor he is not even a friend of Bertie

Tristrame wrote:

Well I'll make a stab at it...
    Maybe Wall's deal on the house with Ahern was subject to Wall contributing towards the do-ing up of the house via Celia up to say the amount he would have to pay in stamp duty?

I mean if thats the case and theres nothing illegal in Celia being an agent for Wall in the organising of the house refurbishment-then Ahern will have a cake walk in the tribunal.
    Though if I was him,I'd be searching the Vase on the dressing table for some of the receipts aswell.

30 grand sterling in todays money that is about 45 ,000 euro now if memory serves me right Bertie paid less than 139,000 punts for the house so how in the name of sweet jesus does such a huge stamp duty come about.

45,000 euro stamp duty today is about average but this is 1994 does bertie think we are all completely stupid.

Also he did not buy the house till 1997 so how was stamp duty an issue one way or the other in 1994

As someone has said the people who accepted berties meek excuse the last time has meant that the opposition are **** scared to even ask any questions on this front.

Berties stamp duty tale is less than waterproof he needs to answer more questions on this. Mcdowell has said there is a simple explanation well lets hear it and we can put this aside for the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ragaman7

Wouldn't it be great if all our politicians had to go through this!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5o79AOXAw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I live nearby to Bertie. The house was only a few years old when this occured. 30k punts would buy you a lot in 1994/1996.

Exactly what i was thinking!! That sort of money would of been a good wadge in 1993, probably in todays terms about €65K

30K STG in the early 1990's was alot of money to "do-up" a house?? them house can't of been more than a few years old at the time too, so i can't see why someone would spend about 1/4 the actual cost of the house doing it up??

Is it just me or does something seem strange? I'm open to correction on the above if anyone has any info.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

It's ok I'm sure everythings above board. There'll be receipts for everything (mar dhea). But there is one question I want answered. If Bertie got the house painted, did he use Ivor Callellys painter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

He probably got the pebble dash on the front done as well. Handy lad, Paddy the plasterer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

it seems odd to me that the payment was in sterling, not irish punts. perhaps wall in uk at the time of the payment to bertie/larkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

Ciaran Cuffe just remarked on Tonight with Vincent Browne that he'd love to see pictures of Berties conservatory in Hello! or the like.

In fact - I have faint memories 6 months back on an "at home with Bertie" spread in the Independent magazine on saturday - anybody remember this.....any fashion detectives out there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Now I would expect that an ex finance minister who hates the silly auld pencils would be a dab hand at the auld Excel spreadsheet! He would publish the auld "honest_as_the_day_I_was born.xls" to smear it in the opposition's faces.

Nicely detailed. with correct conversion of Sterling to Punt and even a column for conversion to Euros.
    Receipts for materials and work carried out would be attached. This would be a "World Class" model to anyone who would contemplate the folly of getting nixers done.

Instead of this foolish, utopian idea we have even more smoke coming from the Drumcondra chimney and polluting the area with waffle and spin. Poor man just got a dig out in his moment of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Heinrich wrote:
    Now I would expect that an ex finance minister who hates the silly auld pencils would be a dab hand at the auld Excel spreadsheet! He would publish the auld "honest_as_the_day_I_was born.xls" to smear it in the opposition's faces.
    And an accountant to boot, and we know what those sad feckers are like about their spreadsheets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well this is not going away you know.

He should come out and make a clean breast of it, tell the whole truth, not just the Bertie bits of it.

Until then any other FF coverage will be about this and nothing else.

• Advertisement

Well this is not going away you know.

He should come out and make a clean breast of it, tell the whole truth, not just the Bertie bits of it.

Until then any other FF coverage will be about this and nothing else.

He now has Charlie's fixer doing the business. Why can he not just show his dealings if they are honest. Any decent person would not hesitate to clear his/her name if there was anything odd in their affairs.

CJH was totally corrupt and that came out in the end. He did get colossal tax discounts thanks to Peelo's dealings. Didn't make matters less corrupt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ulster9

Bertie is seeking the advice of a top tax advisor to help him put a statement together to explain the unexplainable.
    If this is so simple and wholly appropriate why is it everytime time he is questioned on it he minces his words and creates more confusion.
    I dont believe him and i think the Fianna Fail party would have served itself better if it forced him to adopt the ethics and standards he trys to force on others.
    I think he is a liar to be frank.His performance the other day was terrible and i think he could cost Fianna Fail the election.

Ulster9 wrote:
    and i think he could cost Fianna Fail the election.

Hopefully!

Bertie's team indeed. Reminds me of the Late J. Caesar's comments:
    Let me have men about me that are fat; sleek headed men, such as sleep o'nights. Yon Cassius....

I hope he takes the whole sleazy party down with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

I see that Bertie completely changed his story today

2 days ago it was a stamp duty issue

now it was for renovations

Of a house that was only 3 or 4 years old

Bertie took 30 grand sterling in cash and put it in his safe in drumcondra and is now trying to claim that it is nothing to do with him.
    Why did the house need 30,000 sterling spent on it.?
    why was the money given in cash ?
    why was the money given to bertie if celia larkin was administering it for the owner?
    why did bertie say if he had money in the bank it was up to him how he spent it when he previously told us he had no bank account ?
    Why did bertie offer to spend 50,000 on a house he was only renting ?
    How could he have made such an offer at a time he needed "loans" and dig outs from "friends".?
    Why did he say it was a stamp duty issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Why, why, why indeed.

Advertisement